DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:24 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:01 pm 
Newly registered Member

Evening folks

Some may recall I posted here a few months back regarding my emulsion blistering having used a vinyl matt for a mist coat (diluted as per instructions). This resulted in an entire wall being scraped back to bare plaster to resolve.

I have now noticed tonight that the pitched roof our new extension has developed about 5-6 large blisters about two inches in size. This was painted about 3 months ago now. I used expensive Benjamin Moore "sure seal" instead of a mist coat and then two coats of their ultra spec 500 emulsion. The sure seal is described as a suitable primer for fresh plaster (which I had dusted down)

I have attached a pic below. Any ideas what I can do? I used this system on all the ceilings in the extension so the thought of it all failing horrifies me!

How should I sort? Sand, fill and paint? I would rather have the ceiling plastered than scrape it all off!

Would Benjamin Moore lilely contribute to costs?

Thanks for any helpImage

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:30 am 
Newly registered Member

Couple more pics on daylight. The bigger ones have paint cracking around the edges- the second pic is almost like a piece of paper glued to the paint surface and painted over if that makes sense! Could these be nail pops?ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:42 pm 

As this is the second time. Try telling us how the wall is constructed. For example is it a brick or breeze block or similar wall, with dot and dab plasterboard on top of it? No plasterboard but a scratch coat and skim coat(s)? The "bubbles" do not look like symmetrical blisters ... they are as if the wall is contaminated OR dot and dab behind plaster board that is still drying out ???

:dunno:

EDIT. Is there any pattern on the bubbles, e.g. on a straight line one under the other?

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : Minibbb
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:13 pm 
Newly registered Member

OchAye wrote:
As this is the second time. Try telling us how the wall is constructed. For example is it a brick or breeze block or similar wall, with dot and dab plasterboard on top of it? No plasterboard but a scratch coat and skim coat(s)? The "bubbles" do not look like symmetrical blisters ... they are as if the wall is contaminated OR dot and dab behind plaster board that is still drying out ???

:dunno:

EDIT. Is there any pattern on the bubbles, e.g. on a straight line one under the other?
Thank you for the reply! This is the ceiling of the pitched roof section of our extension so it's plasterboard over kingspan insulation screwed to the wooden wood supports etc so could suggest why there's been movement there?

I have prodded one of the blisters today and to me it looks suspiciously screw shaped underneath!

No other pattern to them- are in different locations. Image

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:49 pm 

Unless you are happy to keep the "blisters" as they are, you will have to scrape the paint off and see what is underneath.

Given that the damage appears larger than the head of a screw blah blah blah it is possible that the primer you used created a skin (for example some of the zinsser primers create a rubbery skin as I found out a while back), plus your paint on top so the "movement?" or whatever causes the problem lifted a larger area of paint than that of a screw head.

On a separate note, and I :dunno: where I am getting at, some screws may not take a water based paint (or the primer) but again that should be a more localised problem spot.

Fixing the decorative side is easy, scrape, toupret filler, (spot prime the filler belts and braces), try to spot paint ... use a brush or small roller if you must, and feather out the paint as much as possible. If your paint is not matt, and if spot painting does not work, then you have to paint all the surface corner to corner. Before you start patching up it is best to understand the problem.

I don't remember if the extension is a dining/living room area but if it is, you can make the spots a talking point at your dinner parties :mrgreen: Start with "Builders today are not what they used to be ... " and have a whole night of everyone moaning.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:57 pm 

Can't help but wonder if the plasterer has brought some pva to the surface whilst polishing/flattening off?

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:48 pm 

The same thing is happening in our recently built extension.I'm putting it down to everything drying out, shrinking and pushing out the skim of plaster over each screw where the plasterboard is fixed down(or up!).I'm going to leave it for this year, then dig out the loose circle of plaster, tighten the screw, then fill and repaint.

For this message the author keithski122 has received gratitude : richard.farmer86