Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:18 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:47 pm 
Newly registered Member

I have recently moved house and set to this morning painting my daughter's bedroom with emulsion from Wickes. 3 walls are fine (there was magnolia there previously). One wall however had a bright pink paint so I bought some white emulsion to do a base coat. The problem is though the emulsion won't properly stick to the pink wall. It covers some parts but others it just peels off. Now it's dry it's awful! I went to Wickes for advise and they suggested coating with PVA first but I don't know if that will work. Also, where the paint peeled it's dried hard so I now have a really tough and bumpy wall.

Any advise?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:36 pm 

Do not use PVA. See to-use-pva-in-paint-or-not-that-is-the-question-t18116.html

Photos please of the pink wall with the emulsion that did not stick, so we can see what is the damage you got to fix.

So the white emulsion you bought must have been cheaper than the coloured emulsion, what emulsion did you use, and did you mix it well before using it?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 3:59 pm 
Newly registered Member

http://imgur.com/a/OBD3SnC
The paint was stirred well before I applied it. It is just Wickes own emulsion

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:00 pm 
Newly registered Member

Sorry not sure how to post photos properly

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:31 pm 

It is OK ... as the photo you posted is much larger and more useful that what would appear here. Anyhow, you show us the problem after you tried some cure.

I see (on the original link) white paint that is fine, a few tiny bubbles(?) here and there and a large area in which you have gone over a number of times and has had it. You possibly had a contaminated wall that (wise after the event) should have been washed with sugar soap warm water and elbow grease (and rinsed well). And or you went over the problem area(s) with more paint before the previous one dried, you added to the problem.

Can you describe what happened please?

On a separate note, spend some money on a proper roller sleeve (hamilton perfection medium pile) and let the roller lay the paint off using long strokes. Do not lean on the roller to get the paint out of it.

PS. For photos see: posting-pictures-t24809.html
EDIT. PPS. the link to the original image gives a much better magnification. ::b

Attachments:
paintproblem1 (640x1280).jpg
paintproblem1 (640x1280).jpg [ 80.5 KiB | Viewed 577 times ]
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:47 pm 
Newly registered Member

It started doing this from the very first stroke with a brush when cutting in. I started painting and it was putting paint on the wall but also dragging it away too without too much pressure from brush or roller. Some has gone on fine but the big bit of pink in the picture (there are other bits too) it simply didn't stick...like trying to get water into oil.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 4:47 pm 
Newly registered Member

I assume my only solution now is to sand the entire wall?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 5:58 pm 

spr0ut wrote:
I assume my only solution now is to sand the entire wall?

Yes ... you got too many bad layers of the white paint. Along the middle height of the wall your paint is lifting but the pink appears solid, which would indicate contamination. For example, children sticking things on the wall, greasy fingers and whatever else.

Before sanding ... I would be tempted to get a bucket and large sponge and get the paint soaked. You seem to have a scraper that you used on the bad area. See if you can remove the white paint when it is "wet" using a scraper (it will come off if you used a matt paint) and then you must still wash the wall with sugar soap and rinse afterwards.

If it helps a little :cb

EDIT. On your original photo I could see little bubbles below the problem area. It is worth doing whatever you decide on the whole wall not just where the obvious problems are. And belts and braces, just use the same paint as you used for the other walls, you will not save that much with 1 coat of another cheaper emulsion.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:03 pm 
Newly registered Member

Should I sand after the sugar soap? I have an electric handheld sander but that could take ages to do. Would it be worth hiring a big sander of some kind?

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 6:28 pm 

The washing down with sugar soap is "after the white paint" has been removed. You need to wash down the pink paint. Sanding down the pink would help if it was silk but under the circumstances the more effort the better as long as you do not cause damage.

I am a DIYer. I have a 1/3 sheet electric sander, example https://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-bo371 ... 240v/6330j or for one wall one of these for hand use https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Painti ... er+/p55929 (OK I got a pole sander too, hand used).

You do not need to sand down too much to try and remove the pink paint, just key the paint but get rid of the white. As far as tools go look at what else you got to do in the house. For example buying a 120 and a finer roll (e.g. 180) of paper maybe cheaper than buying multiple sheets. It all depends on how much work you think you will have to do (walls and woodwork).