DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:12 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Electricity to the Shed
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:24 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi all, I'm a long time lurker but first time posting.

In the process of building a shed and need some advice for the electrics:

Two or three socket locations needed in the shed, quantity is just for convience and will usually carry light loads (DIY power tools / lawnmover etc). Maybe 3 lighting points (a couple of these will go to an ajoining covered pergula area, one of which will be on a dusk till dawn sensor).

My plan is to run ~10m of armoured 2.5 cable (buried) from the nearest point in the conservatory which has it's own ring to the CU in the house, this circuit is protected by a 32amp MCB and one of the two RCDs in the CU. Being a conservatory there is hardly any load on this circuit. In the new shed I plan to install a small 4 Way CU with an isolator and two MCBs, 16amp for the 3 sockets and 6amp for the lights. As there is already an RCD in the house how acceptable is this ? I know it's the same RCD that will protect both lights and sockets in the area, but it's a small shed and it shouldn't matter. Also do the sockets have to be ring'ed as it's only on a 16amp circuit?

The other option is to run the armoured cable to the main CU but that will be painful as I will have to dig up block paving and the length of the run increases to 20m. I guess if I did that I would run the cable from a non RCD protected MCB in the CU and add an RCD in the shed in front of the 16 + 6 MCBs ?

I'm not certified but am competent and from an electronics engineering background. I know I'm breaking some part P notification rules but just want to make sure that this will at least pass an electrical installation test in the future.

Thanks in advance.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:16 pm 

Keep it simple, use a switched fused connection unit in the house, this means 13A max to shed which is likely ample, and with double pole switching if there is a fault easy to isolate and keep house electrics running, no need to double up on RCD, 30 mA at 40 mS is all that is required does not matter if in house or shed.

In the shed no point in a ring final, just a radial, no need for CU just fit another switched FCU this time with 3A fuse for lights.

In Wales yes should be registered, in England no longer required.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:15 pm 
Newly registered Member

ericmark wrote:
Keep it simple, use a switched fused connection unit in the house, this means 13A max to shed which is likely ample, and with double pole switching if there is a fault easy to isolate and keep house electrics running, no need to double up on RCD, 30 mA at 40 mS is all that is required does not matter if in house or shed.

In the shed no point in a ring final, just a radial, no need for CU just fit another switched FCU this time with 3A fuse for lights.

In Wales yes should be registered, in England no longer required.

Oh, that's a very simple happy with that approach as long as a sparky doing a safety test will pass it. Yes I'm sure 13amps will be fine. Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:28 pm 
Approved Electrician

As ericmark said. Just use a switched fused spur from the conservatory ring circuit.

I also would not bother with a CU in the shed. The shed is a 2.5mm radial circuit. At some point on that circuit just install a fused spur with a 5A fuse and run your lighting from that.

For this message the author OnlyMe has received gratitude : madmal2018