DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:21 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Re: Electrical screws.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:55 pm 

wine~o wrote:
Retired wrote:
I now prefer to use drywall screws whenever possible; drywall screws are incredibly cheap and they drive fast with excellent holding power; unfortunately choice of length is limited.

Plenty of different lengths in your *Favourite* store Screwfix Col;
Attachment:
drywall sizes.PNG

Be aware though that compared to normal wood screws the drywalls are very brittle.. not good where any load is an issue..

The screwfix collated screws are rank. They don't run smoothly through the gun and are treble the price of the decent brands. I had to buy an emergency box a few months back,never again!

The fine thread ones in screwfix are only any good into metal studding as well,you need coarse thread for timber.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:50 pm 

Hi,

Thanks tcm; more about masonry screws below.

Thanks Rorschach; the masonry screws I bought are very similar to these and I'm sure they are called "Thunderbolts";

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-blue-tip-concrete-screwbolt-hex-head-6-x-80mm-pk50/75708?kpid=75708&cm_mmc=Google-_-Product%20Listing%20Ads-_-Sales%20Tracking-_-sales%20tracking%20url&cm_mmc=Google-_-Shopping%20-%20Fixings%20and%20Fasteners-_-Shopping%20-%20Fixings%20and%20Fasteners&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzO6zBRC25Ju1idGJiZkBEiQAP3Sf6Bc6WfzjLgSWwrAyL0I9Cr0BTQoOiHZ0PkouHgtvyHcaAtQu8P8HAQ

I've not used any of the ones I bought but they sure do look very strong and will support loads better than normal wood screws? The drywall screws I bought are from the stall at Rufforth and he only had a limited selection as to length but his prices were dirt cheap even for a tub of 38mm with 2,200 in the tub.

Very decent of you wine~o to post the Screwfix details which I appreciate and will no doubt now buy more drywall screws of the lengths I don't yet have. I don't use drywall screws where load bearing is a concern but for my general jobs like installing a coffered ceiling or joining MDF I find drywall screws are just brilliant; I can drive them at speed using my Makita drill/driver; the coarse thread is not only fast but bites deeply giving lots of grip; I blessed the day I bought drywall screws whilst installing the coffered ceiling;

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/coffered-ceiling-wainscoting-installation-t76546.html

Thanks Stevie; excellent point about the collated drywall screws; I don't have a screw gun but I bought my first drywall screws at Rufforth and these were collated coming in a box of 1,000 and at £3 I grabbed them thinking they would prove useful. I separated each screw taking ages by holding the plastic collating strip and pressing a few screw tips onto a block of MDF allowing the screws to be removed from the strip ending up with a nice lot of screws for very little money. I liked these drywall screws so much that I bought a lot more at the next Rufforth but these were not collated being in big plastic tubs and I think I paid around £7 per tub of 2,200 at 32mm & 38mm long. I usually pre drill to avoid splitting and like using them.

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 6:19 pm 

The guy who starred in the Salvager used drywall screws all the time for his projects. Like many I always thought they were for drywall only but I use them quite a lot now. I like how they have a thin shank and normally don't need to be pre drilled.

For this message the author Argyll has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:31 pm 

This is an interesting video for drywall screws, I might have to look into them a little more.

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:20 pm 

They are brilliant in softwood. The problem with them is in harder timber or ply or mdf the heads just snap off frequently and it's a right pain when that happens.

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received thanks - 3: Argyll, Job and Knock, Retired
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:08 am 

Hi,

It takes longer but I pre drill and countersink for wood screws so screw heads popping off has never troubled me. I sank hundreds of drywall screws into the MDF coffered ceiling without a screw breakage; ideally I would have liked two cordless drill drivers but I wasn't in a hurry so once the parts to be screwed were positioned with a couple of screws it was easy to pre-drill and countersink first.

The video is excellent showing fair tests on the screws; the drywall screws were good on driving and holding power but were the first to break just as wine~o stated regarding brittleness but for general use drywall screws are my favourite screw especially as they are so incredibly cheap to buy.

It's interesting to see how this thread has turned into screw evaluation throwing up lots of useful advice. :thumbleft:

Kind regards, Col.

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : Argyll
PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:28 pm 

Argyll wrote:
The guy who starred in the Salvager

That would be Rico Daniels

I find his programmes interesting. I really like how at the start of a project some odds and ends he can see what its going to be, when I for one don't see it.......until finished.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:41 am 

Hi,

I've never previously heard of the "salvager" so I'll have a nosy. He sure looks a rough dude?

I decided to save time running around wasting fuel and bought a bag of 100 of these screws from Lighting Innovations through eBay and they have just arrived costing a total £4.49. The screws look excellent with well formed deep slots. :thumbleft:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:49 am 

Hi,

So this is The Salvager; top man. :thumbleft:

Over 50 years ago I found whilst using the oxy/acetylene burner in the pit workshop cutting an RSJ at waist easily set fire to my socks and made me yell; a lesson only learnt once. :cb

Kind regards, Col.