DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:17 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:09 pm 
Newly registered Member

My heater is new so its plug should also be new. Maybe the problem is due to a manufacturing defect of the plug of the heater. However my heater is a Logik convertor heater and its review in the Internet seems good. The issue is the plug of my previous heater also overheated.

I have entirely unrolled the extension lead but the defect remains

I have plugged directly my heater to several sockects in the wall but the plug of my heater still overheats and I have noticed that one pin overheats more than the other.

When I use the setting 1250 Kw is okay but the plug of my heater become very hot when I use the 2000 Kw setting so the solution could be when the weather will become cold that I buy another electrical heater and I use both with only the 1250 Kw setting

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:17 pm 

You are still using the same plug. As I said it will not get any better, so I strongly recommend you cut the plug off and replace it with a good one such as made by MK

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:05 pm 

A story from decades ago. A young lass in her flat, and she was complaining that the plug on her kettle was getting warm/hot when she used it. Modern flat - decent (brand) kettle, so I looked at the plug. Certainly not branded as a market leader!

In search of a better plug, on her reel to reel tape recorder (that's how long ago it was :roll: ) I found she had an MK plug.

I swapped the plugs.

Problem solved. :-)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:09 pm 

Grumps wrote:
A story from decades ago. A young lass in her flat, and she was complaining that the plug on her kettle was getting warm/hot when she used it. Modern flat - decent (brand) kettle, so I looked at the plug. Certainly not branded as a market leader!

In search of a better plug, on her reel to reel tape recorder (that's how long ago it was :roll: ) I found she had an MK plug.

I swapped the plugs.

Problem solved. :-)

:thumbleft:

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:08 am 
Newly registered Member

What difference you make between a MK plug and another kind of plug. Is there something special written on it which identity it so that if I want to buy it I am sure I buy the right one?

I do not see myself cutting the cable of my heater and reconnecting it because I do not want to make the things worse if I do not reconnect it properly. Moreover I do not want to damage the cable of my heater specially if there is nothing wrong with the plug of my heater. I think that it is better I buy a second electric heater and I try if the defect is still here using this new heater

It is possible maybe that it is the electric network which is no good maybe one of the two cables has a different voltage than the other or there is a bad connection of one the two cable at source

Concerning a device that maybe use as a buffer it will not prevent the overheating of the plug of my heater but it will absorb the energy in excess preventing the socket from getting damage. I would like to know such device exist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:30 am 

Let me put it this way.

Burn a slice of toast for me. Now make it not burnt. You can't can you.

Its the same with your plug, once it has overheated it will over heat again, you have to cut it off and change it to a good one, such as MK.

MK is to plugs what Rolls Royce are to cars.

If you are not comfortable changing a plug, then ask a friend to do it for you.

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : multiman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:38 am 
Newly registered Member

I found in the Internet that a normal plug costs about 1£ and a MK plug costs about £3 so it should be of better quality.
However the plug of my new heater is a lot stronger than this of my other electric devices for example this of my vacuum cleaner which also uses a lot of energy . The plug of my heater which is sealed and is maybe a rubber plug seems to be heavy duty. The cable of my new heater is also bigger than this of my vacuum cleaner. I am using also a heavy duty extension lead. In this circumstance it is worthwhile I mutilate my new heater by cutting its cable?

Moreover there is also the safety issue if I cut the cable of my new heater because I would have to reconnect it with dominos and tape which are less safe specially if the cable carries on overheating because the reason of the defect was not the plug of my new heater

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:13 am 

With the comments you have made so far and including "is maybe a rubber" and "seems to be heavy duty" also " I would have to reconnect it with dominos and tape" ( :scratch: ) not to mention you also said "I buy a device which could be some kind of buffer"

You are mis-understanding things and clearly do not want to heed any advice given to you from anyone on this forum, so with that in mind, on this subject I will leave you to your own devices. H.A.N.D.

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : multiman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:22 am 
Newly registered Member

I think that it is a rubber plug and that it is heavy duty because it is bigger than the plug of my other electric devices.

Concerning reconnecting with dominos and tape I do not see another way to do once the cable has been cut. If you know another way tell me

Concerning me not heeding any advice no I simply make suggestions to find a solution concerning this strange defect.

Concerning the 'buffer' it is also a suggestion it could be a device or another extension

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:30 am 

A buffer DOES NOT EXIST.

DO NOT use an extension.

Use QUALITY plugs and sockets.

Get someone who KNOWS WHAT THEY ARE DOING to sort it out.

Clearly our advice is not good enough for you - you are ignoring the advice of a combined 300 years worth of experience. This is know as STUPIDITY or plain IGNORANCE - take your pick.

Suggest mods lock this thread as it's going nowhere.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : multiman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:05 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

I've locked this. I think the OP has had all the info it's possible to give on a forum, which I suggest they take notice of.
Now it's going around in circles for the third time.
Thanks to you all for you contributions.

For this message the author moderator7 has received thanks - 3: kellys_eye, multiman, someone-else

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2