DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:07 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:14 pm 

Any recommended courses I need to look at to rewire a house I am looking to renovate? When I mean rewire, not only understanding the electrical side, but also the practical side of wiring in a modern house.

Many thanks.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:33 pm 

Give up now.

Any course will be;

A) Not what you want or need

B) Be extortionate

C) No use because you can not "sign it off"

However, I will suggest you get an electrician in to do the job for you, BUT you tell the electrician you will do all the donkey work for him, if he tells you what he wants where.

To elaborate on donkey work: As the owner, you know where you want sockets light switches etc (They do have to be at a specific height) but you can chase out the walls, lift floorboards and then run the cables. The electrician can then see where everything is (so he is happy with what you have done) then he can connect it all and sign it off.

Tip, let him supply all the parts. (He will no doubt like a specific brand)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : Locornwall
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:58 pm 

Thanks. What about doing a course which allows me to sign off the work? Would you recommend these courses for what I want to do.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:10 pm 

Since you have no idea what you would be looking at how do you suppose you would know if its right or wrong?

:sign7: You sign up for the Part P course that is for people who have no knowledge or experience in electrical work, a mere snip at £2500

(I did say at first it will be extortionate)

NOTE: I am not joking, there is such a course and it really does cost a shade under £2,500

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : Locornwall
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:28 pm 

I would be willing to spend that much if I could sign off my work and I knew what I was doing afterwards. I’m sceptical however the course would cover everything. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:53 pm 

Is this to renovate one house, or are you planning to do this for a living? This sounds fishy to me.

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : Locornwall
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:03 pm 

Just one house, but will include some additional projects, such as an outbuilding and garage. Given the cost of having an electrician rewire the house, it seems cheaper to learn and do it myself and I’d walk away with additional knowledge at the end of it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:13 pm 

1 project? I guarantee it will not be cheaper to learn and do it yourself.

Find a friendly local electrician, pay him to plan it all out for you, do the grafting yourself and then pay him to do final wiring and sign off.

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : Locornwall
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:28 pm 

Sounds good and the best way forward. I look to do that and hope I can find an electrician who will work like that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:10 pm 
Approved Electrician

Locornwall wrote:
Sounds good and the best way forward. I look to do that and hope I can find an electrician who will work like that.

NAPIT were AFAIK the only company to take up the offer of doing an inspection and testing of a DIYers work.

Either that or pay your local council for a Part P notifiable job.

All the best with your venture.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:47 am 

Sorry, I don’t understand. I’m not an electrician, obviously and do not fully understand the processes of getting electrical work certified and the options. Please elaborate.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:04 am 

Pay someone to do it - electricians train for many years you will not learn it quickly , while your messing about you could be earning the money to pay for it - is your time worth that little ?

For this message the author Bob225 has received gratitude : Locornwall
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:09 am 

Respected member OnlyMe is saying As Far As I Know, the National Association of Professional Inspectors & Testers are the only people that will carry out what you are asking - go to their website "napit.org.uk", put your postcode in the search box, find a firm near you and ask them.

Or, contact the Building Control department of your local council and find out how much the fee will be for Part P certification. Though I doubt that they will do the testing themselves, they won't trust you to do it as it needs all sorts of complicated & technical meter readings, you'll end up going back to a NAPIT member.

In my experience, much better to find a friendly electrician, talk sense & don't make yourself out to be a thick idiot, be very pleasant to him, supplying copious amounts of decent coffee and good quality biscuits! Got mine done for £150 a day, which provided multiple pages of emailed certification which I didn't read and neither has anybody else.

For this message the author arco_iris has received gratitude : Locornwall
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:11 am 

Thanks Bob. I just know how much this can cost and it does seem like a lot of money for the amount of time it would take to do plus material cost. A colleague decided to become an electrician because he got a quote which was higher for him to train and buy the tools and equipment required. Your thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:34 pm 

Having looked at the idea of rewiring my own home. First hurdle was to get the LABC inspector to accept your qualifications. My son worked in Liverpool, Chester and Flintshire, Liverpool very helpful, Chester OK, but Flintshire it was hard work getting them to accept my qualifications and they would not accept my sons.

We both had 16th Edition (that was current at the time) and C&G 2391 which shows you have the skill to inspect and test, however it was only when I insisted anyone they bring in should have better qualifications to myself and I have a degree, did they back down and say I could do it all.

The 18th edition shows you can read a book, that is easy enough, but C&G 2391 tests your skill at testing, and I remember my exam asking how to wire a farm building which has special rules, and unlike the 18th you don't have the book with you. So to be able to show you have the skill you need to learn a lot more than you will ever use.

The rules have changed a bit, but the major problem is if the LABC bring in a consultant to see if wired to standard then you pay for that consultant, if however they do the inspecting it is all within the fee, and the fee varies in England, in Wales it is fixed, I think 10% of cost and is in bands so starts at £1000 so with vat is around the £125 mark, lowest charge and more likely £250.

On to that £250 is the independent inspector so looking at really more like £500 to be permitted to wire your own house, any errors and the fee goes up, as it will be so much per visit, and error means some thing he does not like, we were fitting a wet room, and we did not bother with an extractor fan as opening windows, however correctly it was pointed out opening the window will allow visitors to see us in the shower. Lucky if was for a disability so no charge.

I think I paid something like £2500 for basic rewire, of that likely £1500 labour, take off the LABC charges then you save around £700 to DIY, is it really worth it? At college charges for courses then likely it will cost more to DIY.

For this message the author ericmark has received gratitude : Locornwall