DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:31 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:16 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi there,
Further to my other thread about the lighting in this electric awning, I also have a query with regards to the motor limits.
In my investigation for the lights I have pressed a couple of surface mounted micro switches on the PCB (on the right). The top one (Prog) didn't seem to do anything physical, it is most likely to do with the remote.

The bottom switch did send the awning out and in per press. What I observed was that the rely clicks on and 240v is switched to either the brown or black cable for moving the awning out or in. What concerned me though it that at the end of its travel (I've only noted this on the return direction) is that the relay does not click off and 240v stays there - live to the motor. This is unless I press the middle button on the remote which is effectively 'stop'. I can't hear the motor straining either but it prompted me to ask this question as I would not like anything to burn out after my tampering with the microswitch (which might just be a test switch to override the remote).

Would the motor in the actual awning have a cutout/limit switch to prevent overload so the power can just sit there until it is switched again from the next command? I expect so but would like to hear from someone with more practical experience of such systems.

My thoughts were that these things need to have the travel limits set manually and I may have cleared those settings somehow as I am not sure if this is how is operated before.

Thanks again,
Jack

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:19 am 

What does the manual say? Does it have any schematics?

It could either work by limit switches or by current sensing (where the limit if travel is detected by an increase in motor current and the consequent removal of power). You can test the 'current limit' method by physically stopping - or trying to - the canopy from opening when it 'should' just stop and/or reverse.

The simplest - and therefore the most likely - solution to in/out (or up/down) motor control is via limit switches though and the permanent 240V on the relay in one direction is normal - it being interrupted at the 'other' limit switch but still measurable at the first relay as you've found.

Pressing a button labelled 'prog' without knowing what it is you're doing or potentially activating is not recommended......... RTFM.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:30 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. That is the problem - there isn't a manual, it would be a lot easier if I could find one online.

We were given this awning and the previous owner doesn't have anything.
Thank you for your advice. I don't think I have changed anything too drastic but will be cautious with it and try the cut off by stopping it and see the the relay clicks.

The PCB is made by https://www.helipebs-controls.co.uk so I may approach them for advice.

Thanks,
Jack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:07 pm 
Approved Electrician

http://www.hopkinsfittings.co.uk/attach ... _-_RK2.PDF

and we can start from there. That link is similar to your set up.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

Great, thank you!