DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:12 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Eggshell on woodwork?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:22 pm 

I have been using Armstead Durable eggshell recently after a recomendation here, really very pleased with it. Problem I have now is that one room I have used it in has woodwork that has yellowed terribly over the past 4 years, to the point of being almost orange in places. The previous paint colour in the room was very dark so it wasn't noticable but against fresh white walls it looks terrible.

The armstead says it can be used on wood work, and I of course being the same paint should blend beautifully against the walls (and avoid cutting in problems! haha) but I have only ever used oil based gloss on wood work. Aside from a thorough de-greasing what else would I need to do? Oh and bear in mind, I only plan on being in this property a few more years so perfection is not required, and not really possible anyway considering the state of things. I just want it to look more presentable than it is now.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:29 pm 

If you're going over oil with water based, adhesion is a big consideration.

If you're painting over old oil gloss you really need to apply a bridging coat of Acrylic primer undercoat, Bullseye 123 or similar, and then apply your water based satin/eggshell.

Over oil based satin, it's not such a problem so you should be OK to sand, wash and paint.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:24 pm 

It will be going over 4 year old crown oil based gloss. I was planning to clean the gloss with neat virisol which is strong enough to dissolve cured gloss on brushes so I thought it might have an "etching" effect on the wood. Maybe do an adhesion test first? The dribbles on it at the moment seem to be well stuck :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:34 pm 

Rorschach wrote:
It will be going over 4 year old crown oil based gloss. I was planning to clean the gloss with neat virisol which is strong enough to dissolve cured gloss on brushes so I thought it might have an "etching" effect on the wood. Maybe do an adhesion test first? The dribbles on it at the moment seem to be well stuck
You could try it, you never know your luck.

You could also use zinsser permawhite satin, which claims to adhere to glossy surfaces without sanding. Not best opacity though.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:42 pm 

Rorschach wrote:
It will be going over 4 year old crown oil based gloss. I was planning to clean the gloss with neat virisol which is strong enough to dissolve cured gloss on brushes so I thought it might have an "etching" effect on the wood. Maybe do an adhesion test first? The dribbles on it at the moment seem to be well stuck :lol:

Your brave!!!

Aren't you worried it might react with later paints? Just sayin....

123 would be less risk unless I'm missing summin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:57 pm 

Desmondo15 wrote:
Rorschach wrote:

Your brave!!!

Aren't you worried it might react with later paints? Just sayin....

123 would be less risk unless I'm missing summin

Well I plan to do a test patch. I am mostly trying to keep work/cost to minimum, especially since I already have the eggshell on hand.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:51 am 

Prep would be more important to me than bridging coats. A thorough sanding down of the gloss so that there are no shiny bits, thorough hoover and clean then 2 coats of the eggshell.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:41 am 

Deccy wrote:
Prep would be more important to me than bridging coats. A thorough sanding down of the gloss so that there are no shiny bits, thorough hoover and clean then 2 coats of the eggshell.

Thanks for the comment there.

I checked the bits of paint that got on the woodwork where my cutting in was a little dodgy, I couldn't pick it off with my thumb easily, it was well stuck!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:30 pm 

Thought I would update on this since I know it's frustrating when people don't give feedback.

I tested the old gloss and found that in the past there had been bad prep work and the top layers of gloss were not terribly well adhered to lower layers, using my thumbnail it wasn't too difficult to peel it off. Now the solution I know would be to scrape and sand back to a sound surface however this is a rental property and I simply can't afford to expend that kind of time and effort. So I did a test on an area that was going to end up behind a bookcase. I thoroughly cleaned and degreased using a strong virisol solution then appled 2 coats of the eggshell and left to cure properly. I came back and did the thumbnail test and found that the eggshell has adhered very well to the top layers of gloss and was peeling off attached with them as before, so basically as good a job as I was going to get given the circumstances. With that done I applied the same treatment to the rest of the woodwork. 2 coats did an excellent job of covering even the worst yellowed areas and the finish is very acceptable.
It was fast, cleaning and 2 coats were all able to be applied in 1 day, it has covered the yellow gloss very well, no smell, no weeks waiting for the gloss stickiness to cure fully and it is as hard wearing as I am going to manage for this situation. All in all I am very pleased with the results.

I am definitely very pleased with the Armstead paint, it covers well with a brush, not bad with a roller, it dries fast but not so quickly that I had any skinning problems. Incredibly low odour, in fact you could barely tell we had been decorating and within a day the smell was completely gone. Good value too, cost was very similar to retail paint but you could tell it was much better, certainly the best paint I have used so far.

For this message the author Rorschach has received thanks - 3: Desmondo15, fitzy, Tom d'Angler