DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:31 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: eBay and idiot sellers?
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 11:29 am 

I thought I'd open this topic to see what sort of stupidity you'd experienced when buying (or selling) on eBay.

I'll kick off with not one, but two recent purchases (from different sellers) where the seller had cut off an old Walsall-type 110 volt plug and put on a 3-pin 230 volt 13amp one instead. Afer all, it's only the plug which matters and not the ratings plate, isn't it? (Note for sparkies: that's sarcasm) In both cases the vendors hid the plug in the photos (but not the ratings plate), and in both cases they've gone conspicuously quiet when I've attempted to take the issue up with them.... I wonder why. In the case of one item (a drill stand and drill) I'm actually not that bothered because I really only wanted the drill stand and not the drill. I suppose the fact that the drill actually still works (on 110 volt) is a testament to the way that 1960s British tools were made. In the other case, however, thing are far from good and the seller appears to be attempting to hide behind the condition of sale that he doesn't accept returns. We'll see.

Over to you, then. What's the dumbest or most calculating thing you've had done to you when buying or selling tools on eBay?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:01 pm 

TBH I don't often sell on ebay. I use the post office to post stuff and often its very expensive due to weight / bulk. Then there is the value of said item, its not greed its that some times I get things, and never use them so I would like 2/3 of what it cost me for item, but it never sells at that price. :cb

On the flip side (Buying stuff) I buy lots because its easy and often lots of choice, take the wind turbine I mentioned here, that came from ebay, not cheap, but I there was lots of choice. Those little jam portions you get at hotels, I get them on ebay, because I can't get them in the shops. (We don't eat a lot of jam, and once opened a jar grows its own fur coat by the time we next open it, so those little pots are great for us, you only open 2 or 3 of them) I needed a camera card reader about £8 or £9 in the shops ebay £3 (inc postage) and the LED pixels I mentioned on here, never seem them in shops. :-) So for me, I buy "lots" from sellers on ebay, but sell almost nothing. :wink: (I can't see how some sellers make money, but clearly they do, or they would not be doing it)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 12:17 pm 

That's hardly stupidity, though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:02 pm 

That is true, but its a start for your interesting thread, often on UHM a post starts by asking A and ends up at H, this one has gone to Y, sorry about that. :oops:

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:13 pm 

I sold quite a bit of stuff at one time on eBay. We decided it was time to have a clear out, and some stuff had to go. I photographed it all, and described any faults. Can't remember any real problems apart from one or two idiots who bid and then didn't pay.
I don't buy much stuff s/h. Mostly small photographic stuff these days. OK so far. I do have a look at the feedback though. Good and bad.
There's always some risk buying "sight unseen" and you're at the mercy of the unscrupulous and the stupid.
Going off on a Tangent a bit, have you thought about going to one of those auto jumbles like that one at Rufforth that Col used to say about?
Last one I went to down here, admittedly some years back, was very good. I bought loads of stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:37 pm 

I bought an old style Avo Meter - the ones in the black plastic case and with analogue needle display - and the seller posted it by wrapping it in two sheets of newspaper...... needless to say it arrived in bits. The seller did, fortunately, refund all the cash but that's one more 'classic' test meter gone to the scrap bin :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:49 pm 

I've had that sort of thing a few times - insufficient packaging. Honestly, I don't mind paying a few quid extra for a bit of bubblewrap and some decent tape. Best one was a router which turned up in three separete parts in three separate deliveries - all via Parcel Force, and with an suitably apologetic letter from the depot manager. TBH, though, it wasn't their fault that the consignee had just taped up the package with 1/2in Sellotape and stuck a label on. The miracle is that they found the missing bits and actually remembered who they might have belonged to - a neat bit of detective work especially as the first an last parts arrived more than 6 weeks apart....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:53 pm 

:dunno: Moral ? don't buy tools from E-bay.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:31 pm 

My goto hammer for a long long time has been a 24oz Stanley with a Hickory handle.

The original handle lasted about 15 years, as did the second one. Since then I've reckoned to replace the handle every couple of years. Suitable handles have got harder and harder to find.

It's a simple enough task to find a handle for a 20oz hammer - they're a bit shorter and the skinny end is often a bit too small for a 24oz.

I'm looking on eBay, there's a 14" claw hammer handle for sale, just right. I email the seller and ask for the dimensions of the skinny end - the answer was just what I was looking for.

I bought it.

When it arrived it was only 13" long. ::b ::b ::b

Got my money back, and still got the handle somewhere. (I do have a 20 oz with a Hickory handle in the garage, it rarely gets used, but at least I have a spare handle for it).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:31 pm 

Years ago, I discovered that cheapo Woolworths own brand radios would work on 110v.... so i'd buy a few at a time, swap the plugs and market them on ebay for about 3x the price :lol:
Must have sold 15-20, until Woolworths seemed to stop selling them.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:40 pm 

I bid for two identical items (large plastic cases for use as toolboxes) listed separately by the same seller, postage free/included. I won one for £8 and the other for £9, which is what I thought they were worth, & paid instantly.

On arrival by Parcelfarce, booked at a post office, the label showed that the seller had paid £17.50 carriage (due to the volume of the parcel).

Additionally she had to pay listing fees, final value fees (10%) & ppal fees (20p + 2%)!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:49 am 

arco_iris wrote:
I bid for two identical items (large plastic cases for use as toolboxes) listed separately by the same seller, postage free/included. I won one for £8 and the other for £9, which is what I thought they were worth, & paid instantly.

On arrival by Parcelfarce, booked at a post office, the label showed that the seller had paid £17.50 carriage (due to the volume of the parcel).

Additionally she had to pay listing fees, final value fees (10%) & ppal fees (20p + 2%)!

Seems crazy she paid that!

I have in the past messed up on shipping fees and when the items sold for a low value I would have ended up out of pocket. In those cases I have fessed up to the buyer and said that I made a mistake and given them a choice, either cancel the order or they can pay the extra so that I end up breaking even (no profit for my own stupidity of course). In almost all cases the buyer has been understanding, paid the extra and both parties were happy.