A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:46 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Easy to sand filler?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:58 am 
Newly registered Member

Hello

First post, apologies if this is in the incorrect forum!

I'm redecorating two rooms, and currently in the process of stripping 12 year old wallpaper from the walls in preparation for painting. The walls are in a particularly bad state, and I anticipate by the time I am done there will need to be a good deal of filling done before applying primer.

In addition to quite large holes that appear to have simply been covered over by the wallpaper over the years, there are dozens of small nail holes all over the walls; nicks in the plaster; hairline cracks; and holes where loose fitting plugs have fallen out.

I appreciate an ideal solution is just to get the whole lot re-plastered, but for various reasons including costs and timescales, I will just be filling and applying some kind of base coat after. My issue is the filler I have been using in other projects before this (Polycell ready-mixed universal filler, tub) has been incredibly difficult to sand down. It will be completely unfeasible to use this in the current redecorating project due to the sheer amount of filling that needs to be done - it would take a ridiculous amount of time and effort to completely sand down everything.

Is anyone able to recommend any fillers that I can use which are easy/quick to sand down?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Easy to sand filler?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:50 am 

Quick and easy - Easyfill powder

https://www.a1building.co.uk/shop/plast ... gIiQvD_BwE

Quick and easy with a very tiny bit more sanding but better finish - Toupret fillers, ready mixed red top for deeper holes, blue top for thin skim or powdered version and mix to your desired consistency.

http://www.toupret.co.uk/business-custo ... 1.5GB.html
http://www.toupret.co.uk/business-custo ... P04GB.html
http://www.toupret.co.uk/business-custo ... 51GBI.html

My personnel favourite - prestonett quick dry powder, great all rounder

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewp ... gL5xvD_BwE

For this message the author Desmondo15 has received thanks - 2: fitzy, Odaik
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:29 pm 
Newly registered Member

Many thanks for the suggestions!

I've had a quick look at the Easyfill powder you suggested, and there seems to be two products available - Easi-fill and Easi-filler. Most retailers seem to offer both in a powdered form only, any idea what the differences are between the two products?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:48 pm 

Go with Easifill it is a good filler for what you are doing. Mix it up a bit stiff for the bigger holes and fill them in layers rather than try to do them in one go. It sands easily but a bit dusty so mask up.

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : Odaik
PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:36 pm 
Newly registered Member

Will look to get some when I am next in B&Q then for supplies, hoping it turns out easier than the Polyfilla!

Just for future reference, when would I use the Easi-filler as opposed to Easi-fill? From the manufacturer's description, it seems the former is actually more aimed at filling damaged plaster as I will be in this project?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:15 pm 
Newly registered Member

Desmondo15 wrote:
Quick and easy - Easyfill powder

https://www.a1building.co.uk/shop/plaster-centre/british-gypsum-gyproc-easi-fill-10kg/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn9SWlPb51wIVpLDtCh05rAe9EAQYBCABEgIiQvD_BwE

Quick and easy with a very tiny bit more sanding but better finish - Toupret fillers, ready mixed red top for deeper holes, blue top for thin skim or powdered version and mix to your desired consistency.

http://www.toupret.co.uk/business-customers/products/filling/ready-mixed-filler-RP01.5GB.html
http://www.toupret.co.uk/business-customers/products/surfacing/fine-surface-filler-LIP04GB.html
http://www.toupret.co.uk/business-customers/products/filling/interior-filler-REB7051GBI.html

My personnel favourite - prestonett quick dry powder, great all rounder

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/p/PRESTONETT_QUICK_DRY_EXTERIOR_FILLER/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzKnWgPb51wIVr7ftCh2AWADAEAQYBCABEgL5xvD_BwE

Sorry to bump this thread, but having another look online I think I may just go for the Toupret stuff.

I understand from your post that the Toupret Fine Surface Filler would be more suited for the hairline cracks and nail holes in the wall, but it doesn't seem to be available at any retail outlets near me. You mention getting the powdered version and mixing to my desired consistency - are you suggesting that by simply adding more water I can get a final product equivalent to the fine surface stuff?

What is most attractive about it to me is the fact that the website states it doesn't require sanding after application, which will be a huge time saver on this project.

I do have a tub of Polycell Fine Surface Filler too, it's unopened but after the mess that was the all-purpose filler I'm worried it will be just as difficult to sand down. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:21 pm 

The powder (available from toolstation and screwfix I believe) is fine enough. You want one good consistency ... but for hairline cracks you must open them up first (whether you use the powder version or some other version of any filler). I use the point of one of these gadgets to open up cracks if you get the idea.

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : Odaik
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:33 pm 

Jeez. I ficked up.

Forget the "does not need sanding" and pigs will fly. If you can produce a perfect surface then it does not need sanding but if you can't then it does need sanding. Use a block for sanding and control the pressure you put on it. There are rolls of 150 and 120 grade paper ideal for putting on the block and you will have enough to do the whole house and some more.

Usually you have to sand where filler meets old paintwork and where one layer of filler finishes over another layer of filler. If you do too much sanding over a hairline crack you will most likely end up with a hollow over the crack. All in all how much sanding you will do depends on how obsessive you are unless you make a real bad job of filling.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:06 pm 

Toupret powder, mix it wetter for shallow voids and stiffer for the deep valleys so it doesn't slump. You can't go wrong, experiment, expect to sand!!!

For this message the author Desmondo15 has received gratitude : Odaik
PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:09 pm 
Newly registered Member

Will do - gonna pick some of the powder up tomorrow and give it a go some time this week. Thanks for the tips!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:55 pm 
Newly registered Member

I swear by Toupret!

For hairline cracks, "DO" ensure you open them up a bit though, and create something to fill.
I find hand sanding with either a block, or the multi use foam block types to be better, compared to an electric sander.
It's like flour, and easy to use, my consistencies vary, but have never failed me, but a tip.....like tile adhesive, let it "slake" basically leave a few minutes for any unmixed powder to absorb water, then final mix, and go to work :thumbleft:

Good luck

Jed

For this message the author jedmc571 has received gratitude : Odaik
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:28 am 
Newly registered Member

I've opened up the hairline cracks to a good 2mm wide and brushed/vacuumed any dust out and will be filling in everything hopefully tomorrow (thanks for your post by the way jedmc571).

Does anyone happen to have any suggestions as to the mixing ratio?

I was also wondering regarding sanding - I have a manual hand sander with 120 grit sandpaper attachments. Is 120 grit fine enough for Toupret filler?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:40 am 

Irrespective of which filer you decide t use, a lot of the work (and I'm meaning sanding) is taken out of it simply by using profesional filling Knifes! I have owned and used for years a 2" and a 8" knife. Both are made from tool carbon steel and require a rub with an oily rag before putting away. I've always found when filling (either on an old wall or new joinery) that the trick is to leave the job where hardly any sanding is necessary. And what is requires can be done with a fine paper.

In my life, I have only ever bought two fillers!
Polycel powder & fine surface (ready mixed). And Brummer for wood.
And as I have said above, the trick is don't leave much behind that would need sanding off!

Davyp1

For this message the author davyp1 has received gratitude : Odaik
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:20 am 

Odaik wrote:
I've opened up the hairline cracks to a good 2mm wide and brushed/vacuumed any dust out and will be filling in everything hopefully tomorrow (thanks for your post by the way jedmc571).

Does anyone happen to have any suggestions as to the mixing ratio?

Don't remember the approximate ratio but a little water goes a long way. If you had something like this it is ideal to get started https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Painti ... owl/p47290 put a finger (horizontal not whisky finger) of water and add a little filler at a time and mix. The correct consistency will be when the filler does not slide off the knife (hold the knife upside down) and does not slump on the knife and runs flat. Let the filler stay for 5 minutes after you mix it if you can spare the time (I personally just use it).

If you have large holes (where plaster may have broken off) a little spray of water in the hole can help. If your filler starts going off use it in any larger holes, and the same if you have picked up dirt from flaking paint or sand etc. Do not add old filler in a new mix to save money, as the new filler will go off faster and you will add solids you do not want.

Quote:
I was also wondering regarding sanding - I have a manual hand sander with 120 grit sandpaper attachments. Is 120 grit fine enough for Toupret filler?

Stop overthinking it. Adjust the pressure you put on the sander, you should only need more pressure where filler meets old paintwork and stops, i.e. to feather the edge of the filler, the rest should be fairly light touch.

Practice makes perfect :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:15 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the further tips.

I filled everything a couple of days ago. 10 large holes/cracks and hairline cracks, duly enlarged, and about 100 nail holes (don't ask). I sanded everything down yesterday. I needn't have worried, this filler is an absolute dream to sand compared to the Polycell stuff. Thanks for the excellent recommendation - you guys rock! I got the entire living room filled in about 6 hours and sanded in 4 hours, the first time anything has actually been done quicker than expected in this whole project.

The only issue I've had is one of the particularly large cracks took a lot of filler to sort, and now it seems to have developed further hairline cracks. See below:

For reference, the filled area is only about 5mm wide at most, so the newly visible crack is much more fine than suggested by the photo. I'm tempted just to put a thin layer of filler over the top to cover it, wait a couple of days, then just sand down again. Does that sound like a reasonable fix? Not sure why this has happened, as other cracks of similar width filled fine without new cracks developing.