DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:48 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Earthing
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:49 am 
Newly registered Member

I want to connect the mains electric up to the garden shed in my holiday home, which is not in the UK. I opened up the consumer unit to see if there was any room for a new fuse and was struck by the lack of earth wires feeding back to the consumer unit. There is only two, one being the mains earth tail and the other leading out. It seems that someone has shared the earth with all power points instead of having a separate earth wire running back to the consumer unit.

This seems ridiculous as it seems to me that if there is a short or leakage on any circuit, then the short or leakage will be conducted into all the other circuits. Am I right?

Could someone also explain to me why in each circuit, the earth should be bounded at the brass connectors in the consumer unit.

Will any leakage take the easiest route instead though the mains tail, rather than someone touching faulty equipment leaking current and then receiving a shock?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Earthing
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:32 am 

There are 3 main types of earthing TN, TT, IT and each is split up further, the main idea is automatic disconnection of supply in case of a fault, but also to reduce risk depending on the environment, so in a UK bath room we use IT which means no earth as it is considered safer as long as only one item uses the isolation transformer.

So look at just one item, a central heating radiator, if the pipes are metal then there is a risk that a fault in one room could be transmitted to another room so we earth, but with plastic pipes then better not to earth as earthing also causes some danger.

As to what is earthed will vary country to country because it is dryer or wetter than here and the ground is more or less conductive. In the same way as in this country it alters room to room.

Before 1966 we did not earth lights, and the rules have changed over the years, in 2008 it was decided in a bathroom with RCD protection earthing of all metal work was not required. Our use of RCD protection was slow compared with other countries since our system was safer to start with.

When working in the Sahara in Algeria we still fitted earth wires but they were really useless, just too dry for it to really work. There own system was 110 volt three phase so a lot lower voltage to start with.

So it may be what you have in the country you are in is good enough?

Post subject: Re: Earthing
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:49 pm 
Approved Electrician

HKKB wrote:
I want to connect the mains electric up to the garden shed in my holiday home, which is not in the UK. I opened up the consumer unit to see if there was any room for a new fuse and was struck by the lack of earth wires feeding back to the consumer unit. There is only two, one being the mains earth tail and the other leading out. It seems that someone has shared the earth with all power points instead of having a separate earth wire running back to the consumer unit.

This seems ridiculous as it seems to me that if there is a short or leakage on any circuit, then the short or leakage will be conducted into all the other circuits. Am I right?

Could someone also explain to me why in each circuit, the earth should be bounded at the brass connectors in the consumer unit.

Will any leakage take the easiest route instead though the mains tail, rather than someone touching faulty equipment leaking current and then receiving a shock?

ONLY the circuit at fault will trip.

Are you sure there is not other earthing such as conduit or pyro cable?