DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:50 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Would I rent out my equipment to earn cash?
Yes 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Maybe / Depends 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
No 100%  100%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 9
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:50 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all,

Long time browser of UHM, which I've found great for tips over the last few years in doing up my house, so firstly thanks!

I don't want to simply self promote or be considered a spammer, so won't share a link, but I hoped this would be the right section to get some feedback on a concept for a website I've been developing which is targeted at tradesmen / DIY enthusiasts.

My site is a platform for renting and sharing your tools, garden and household equipment with people nearby (or anything else that people might want occasionally, such as camping gear etc.) - think AirBnB for your stuff.

It would allow you to earn cash from some of your equipment, while helping others rent items more cheaply and reducing consumption & waste.

I'd really appreciate any constructive comments or feedback from you as experts in your respective fields! In particular:
  • Does this sound like a service you might use and list your equipment?
  • If so, what sort of functionality or features would you want to see?
  • If not, why not, and would would need to be in place to convince you otherwise?
  • Any other comments or feedback about how you or others you know might use a site such as this?

Thanks in advance; any help or advice & a quick answer to the poll very much appreciated!
Nick :thumbleft:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:24 pm 
Newly registered Member

Personally wouldn't rent out equipment, any misuse / damage / late return is going to cost me money loosing work plus the inconvenience. Only a couple of people are allowed to borrow stuff and they are family and understand that i might need it back at short notice.

Who would be responsible for damage or theft? Who does the safety checks?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:38 pm 

:welcomeuhm: Lend it/mend it...quite frankly I wouldn't lend any of my tools to anybody. Not for a fee, not even for the purchase price...

That's what tool hire stores are for...

Have you ever lent a tool to a mate?? only to find that it gets returned damaged or doesn't get returned at all ??

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:42 pm 
Pro Carpenter

no one respects hired gear

and as its personal gear it needs to be respected more than the owner not far far less :cb :cb

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:46 pm 

No one touches my tools. And if I need to hire a tool, I would go to a tool hire shop where I know the rules, and know that everything is regularly checked and is insured, and if something gives up the ghost half way through the hire period, they will have another one to replace it.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:50 pm 

I wouldn't let anyone touch my tools. And if I need something I don't have I either buy it hire from local hire centre.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:55 pm 

Ask yourself this.

Why does anyone need a website if they want to borrow stuff from their neighbour?

Or try this.

Person borrows / rents an item, said item never gets returned, who is going to replace item?

Or

Person borrows / rents item, said item comes back damaged, who is going to pay for repair?

Or

Person borrows / rents item, said item does not work, who is going to fix that one?

Your idea has already been working for some time with all the afore mentioned problems taken care of, its called a hire shop. In todays culture to prevent loss / claims you will need paperwork, the paperwork would need to be all legal. (More cost)

Couple of other things I can also see.

Can you really see joe blogs printing it out (say from your site) and getting some one to sign it? its not worth the hassle

You will want to make money so will the owner of said equipment, save money, cut out the middle man, oh that's you that is.

Its also undeclared earnings, so an accountant will be required.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:56 pm 

Tools: absolutely not. :wtf:

Other stuff I might think about it, but probably not for long. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:58 pm 

All of the above and not forgetting that electrical stuff would have to be PAT tested after every 'hire'.

As Theo Poppadom would say - I'm out :lol:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:01 pm 

There are a very few people I let borrow my tools

Don't even let the misses touch them

The gene pool has no life guard!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:19 pm 
Newly registered Member

Many thanks for the honest feedback - I appreciate it.

Seems there's definitely some resistance then to lending out quality gear - I would add I have lent out gear to mates, and also borrowed gear from neighbours, and I've always been v.respectful, but I think it's a good point that not everyone is the same way..
Do you think a rating and deposit system would go some way to addressing concerns - i.e. you can see whether people have been rated trustworthy and reliable etc.?

Thinking about the hire shops; are these always good value? if you were looking for a particular tool, is it mainly the known rules, and replacement policies that makes these more attractive?

ayjay; you mention you might be open to listing/renting other stuff - I wonder what sort of things you might be more comfortable with renting out?

Cheers,
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:39 pm 

lenditmendit wrote:

ayjay; you mention you might be open to listing/renting other stuff - I wonder what sort of things you might be more comfortable with renting out?

Cheers,
Nick

Sorry Nick, I wasn't being serious, I can't believe that you are.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:59 pm 
Newly registered Member

Rating and deposit system would make no difference to me, ratings can be manipulated. Deposits would lead to disputes if an item was returned damaged (normal wear / misuse / supplied damaged etc)

Hire shops may cost more but you pay for a service. The gear has been safety checked if there is a problem then they will replace it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:51 am 

lenditmendit, you are still overlooking the obvious, why would anyone want to rent out their tools?

To make it worth while they would need to be available most of the day, no use to a trades person.
A person wanting to hire several items would have to go to several different places to get all that is required, no good to a trades person (wasting time)
The person hiring it out would need to have insurance and time to see who has what.
Also as has been said, are you aware of Portable Appliance Testing? this would need to be done on a regular basis and would add cost, which makes it not profitable.

Your whole idea is novel, but has far too many flaws that you are not aware of to be of any use, but you just do not want to accept it, several people have told you why it will not work, but yet you want to carry on, why?

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:58 am 
Newly registered Member

I'm simply trying to get to the underlying problem and figure out if there's a way to address concerns that's all; I welcome the honest feedback.

Airbnb has had a lot of success, but many people also initially asked why would you want to rent out your house?.. I guess it's all about trust. Perhaps professional tools is not the area to target.

I'm unsure if PAT testing would apply given they would still be under private ownership, but I'll look into that.

Thanks again for the feedback.