A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:36 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: DW708-LX switch needed
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:16 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello All

I am trying to locate a switch for a dewalt DW708-lx type 2 (110v) with a little search i have found they seemed to have been discontinued.

can anyone give any advice on where i can locate one.

Thanks advance.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:44 pm 
Old School Chippie

The DW708 was actually discontinued well over 10 years ago (it originally appeared as an Elu in the late 1980s/early 1990s). It was replaced by the DW718 (I well recall being on a job in 2007 where we had a DW718, that wasn't new, so) and that in turn was replaced by the DWS780 maybe 4 or 5 years ago. Ergo patchy parts support for the DW708, but still parts for the DW718. The original part number was 153609-00 (at least for the type 3 DW708, see here for parts list) and looks a lot like a "generic" Marquardt saw switch (who may well have something in their range which is a near match - check their website), but maybe the way to do this is either find a "donor" DW708 saw, find a switch in the Marquardt range which fits or can be made to fit (by modifying the saw handle) or modify the existing tool to take the switch out of the DW718. These saws all have motors around the same power rating, 1800 watts or so, so at least the rating of the later switches will be right.

Apart from Partshop Direct (who I've linked to above) the other major on-line parts suppliers I'd tend to look to for something like this are Miles Tools and Machinery of Yeovil, Joseph Carr (now called Power Tool Spares) of Boston Lincolnshire and Power Tool Centre in Liverpool. I suspect, though, that they'll say the same - defunct item, tool no longer supported, sorry. A final source might be one of the tool hire shops in your area. Many tool hire shops have their own servicing and repair departments and they may have a switch in stock for a tool they no longer need (or even be able to tell you if the DW718 switch was a straight swap). Worth making a few phone calls, I'd say.

At least those are where I'd start looking for an obsolete DW switch

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:55 am 

Have you pulled the switch and made sure its the actual issue ? iirc you should be able to take the switch apart and clean it up

edit. not sure if it's the same type but you can get a dewalt 153609-00 from the US of Hay (eBay) that is listed for the DW708 and elu PS347

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:59 pm 

there are some on ebay usa liek