DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:07 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Drones
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:46 pm 

Do you have one? ... and I'm not referring to the one you married..... :roll: :lol:

I have two, a tiny palm sized one (with camera) for messing around indoors and a 'poufee' sized one with video transmitter for live action and video filming, neither of which I've used to any degree/anger although I'd love to get some aerial pics of my home and surrounding land/loch area. It's one of those 'I'll get around to it one day' projects :mrgreen:

If you own a drone, do you use it a lot or did you get it for a particular application etc? Are you concerned over the proposed laws for registering drone users?

The recent brou ha ha over registering is pathetic imho. I've had a passing interest in radio controlled models for years and know that the restrictions they operate under are easily enough to cope with drone users - no 'new' laws needed, just the application of existing ones.

Either way it won't do diddly squat for the hard-core droners who, for many of them, it's a case of 'build-your-own'.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Drones
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:48 am 

I'll admit it's one of those subjects that I can see both sides of . We've been having a conversation on another forum about increasing regulations governing the carrying of knives and I can see many parallels in the two and a part of both are changing attitudes in society in general. I've had friends who flew radio controlled planes and they all acted responsibly , they wouldn't fly near commercial airfields and the like in the same way most people would carry a knife because it was useful not because it was going to be us d to intimidate or threaten.
I don't know the rules concerning model aircraft or drones but would have thought they would be similar ? Seems to me there's plenty of legislation and increasing that for the average responsible user isn't necessary although I've no problem with rigorously enforcing penalties and punishments for those using planes/drones in a dangerous or intimidating manner , a conclusion we've arrived at ( on the other forum) with regards to knives. However , it does seem TPTB will go down the route of more legislation . Their intentions are in the right place but the implementation is wrong.
If I'm wearing my cynical head , perhaps increasing the hoops the private user has to go through is to actually drive them out of the air leaving more free space for dodgy tax avoiding companies .
One other aspect is the cameras drones can carry. As said I'm on the fence with drones. I can appreciate the fun of flying one although they don't look anywhere near as good as a scale spitfire or Messerschmitt but I do feel just a little uneasy when one hovers above. I might not have much to hide but I do wonder if my privacy is being infringed. I suppose if one were to phrase the question as "do you mind council or government drones flying over and photographing your property?" answers might be a bit different.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:17 am 

Seems to me as if there's a concerted plan to use every event/occasion/whatever to introduce legislation that either involves you registering or paying to access the facility.

No surprise that such legislation only affects law-abiding people as the criminals or those with a desire for intent would just ignore any rules anyway yet the authorities will still use the powers thus created to leverage 'you' in some way - such as the legitimate carrying of a knife for work/hobby use but, if they so felt, running you through court on baseless grounds if you become a threat to the established way.

People like Tommy Robinson will vouch for such methods....

As for privacy issues, I'm with you on that. If someone flew a drone over my property I'd feel obliged to shoot it down. Not much I could do if it was 'looking across' my place as there's nothing stopping people photographing from public areas but 'over' my property??? No way!

Where will it end?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:56 am 

Its the press that blows the issues out of proportion - It only takes that 1% to spoil it for the rest, The press spin the stories to suit there needs and vilify the hobby

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:24 am 

The point about all legislation is that it's all about politicians being seen to do something. (Of course they care!)
It makes the law abiding jump through hoops which those who don't care for whatever reason ignore.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:17 pm 

Dave54 wrote:
The point about all legislation is that it's all about politicians being seen to do something. (Of course they care!)

Not trying to defend our elected representatives but I suspect it must be a case of damned if they do and damned if they don't. If some bellend flies his drone over an airport and causes an accident or a near miss there'd more than likely be an outcry about why our politicians hadn't /haven't done something. Like a lot of things it's the irresponsible few screwing it up for everyone else.
I like the idea of ack ack guns in the garden to deal with drones but suspect it wouldn't be allowed :lol:
Going into the realms of "what ifs" but if a dodgy tax avoider did start deliveries with drones would hi-jacks on those drones be a potential new crime? Use one drone to bring down another and collect the parcel and probably the drone too?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:27 pm 

I see that drones are the new in thing for wedding videos, I went past my local church recently to see the wedding party leaving the church and a drone flying around the churchyard taking aerial footage.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:48 pm 

Grendel wrote:
Dave54 wrote:

Not trying to defend our elected representatives but I suspect it must be a case of damned if they do and damned if they don't. If some bellend flies his drone over an airport and causes an accident or a near miss there'd more than likely be an outcry about why our politicians hadn't /haven't done something. Like a lot of things it's the irresponsible few screwing it up for everyone else.
I like the idea of ack ack guns in the garden to deal with drones but suspect it wouldn't be allowed :lol:
Going into the realms of "what ifs" but if a dodgy tax avoider did start deliveries with drones would hi-jacks on those drones be a potential new crime? Use one drone to bring down another and collect the parcel and probably the drone too?

I'd rather it was "damned if they don't" We need to get rid of a few of these "Nanny state" rules.
Whenever they think that they know best they seem to end up with something that pleases nobody.

You can bet that if they ever did become "everyday" for deliveries, somebody would hijack them.

The law isn't in place though for autonomous drones. (Or at least there was nothing when I last looked) You have to have a licence for commercial use, and there are quite strict rules about use.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:01 am 

One further question , although not about the legalities . A friend and I went to a steam fair last weekend and did see a drone flying overhead. Initially this did start a conversation about the legal standing of operating one above people but the veered off onto the practicalities of actually flying them. Scale helicopters are rare to see , at least in comparison to fixed wing models , and we had heard that they are more difficult to fly. Are drones easier to fly than a scale helicopter ? Some principals seem similar at least to myself having never flown either or is it more down to cost ? Does a drone crash as often as helicopters but are those crashes less costly?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:06 am 

From my understanding scale helicopters are very difficult to fly, just like a real one I guess. The controls are much the same as a real helicopter with a cyclic stick, a collective stick and the rear rotor controls. The actions are the spinning rotor blades for lift and then the pitch of the blades are adjusted to give forward motion and finally the tail rotor speed is adjusted to allow for left and right turns. Drones are a far more stable platform in that the sets of rotors at the tips does not need the tail rotor to stop spinning. Also the more expensive ones have auto correction.

I was at a model flying display and this guy was ding wonderful things with this scale helicopter. He was flying it inverted, very skilful, but he got too low and wrecked it. I thought he was a bit daft showing off like that. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBY3b2b25E8 Can't see the point really

DWD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:52 am 

Drones are remarkably cheap considering the technology behind them but since electronics have become almost 'disposable' in terms of cost - even for 'new' designs - it is inevitable that such things will proliferate even if the user tends to fly them into the ground!

My larger drone, despite its relatively low cost, has auto-altitude, self-levelling functions so if I get confused over flying it simply letting go of the controls it 'stops' in mid air and just.... hangs there.

The only properly damageable parts - assuming you don't fly it suicidally - are the rotor blades which are considered a disposable part ad pennies to replace.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:25 pm 

Grendel wrote:
One further question , although not about the legalities . A friend and I went to a steam fair last weekend and did see a drone flying overhead. Initially this did start a conversation about the legal standing of operating one above people but the veered off onto the practicalities of actually flying them. Scale helicopters are rare to see , at least in comparison to fixed wing models , and we had heard that they are more difficult to fly. Are drones easier to fly than a scale helicopter ? Some principals seem similar at least to myself having never flown either or is it more down to cost ? Does a drone crash as often as helicopters but are those crashes less costly?

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/Unmanne ... e-flights/

and

https://www.caa.co.uk/Commercial-indust ... ll-drones/

As DWD says drones are supposed to be easier to fly than conventional model helicopters. I have a small drone I bought to play with, and it's not difficult. The bigger ones are supposedly easier. I was looking into getting a commercial license and doing commercial work with one, but it's more rules and regs. If I was 40 I might do it, but I can do without the official stuff that goes with it.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : Grendel
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:39 pm 

I would like a go operating s Reaper and let off a Hellfire. Now that is a drone :lol:

DWD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 pm 

dewaltdisney wrote:
I would like a go operating s Reaper and let off a Hellfire. Now that is a drone :lol:

DWD

Now that is a drone indeed! :lol:

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]