DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:07 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 11:42 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi there,

I moved into a house a few months ago which has a few lights at the front in the driveway which i am having a few issues with. There are 2 wall lantern lights, one on each side of the front door, each of which has an integrated PIR sensor, and a few lights on the ground around the drive (5 lights). There is a light switch in the entrance of the house which can turn all these lights on and off, so they are all on the same circuit. Additionally, the PIR has never seemingly worked (or so i think, or perhaps they have been disabled?) - if there is movement outside, they dont turn on, which is fine, i dont need that functionality.

I have had no issues this whole time with these lights, i've always used the entrance switch to control them, but i came home today to find all these lights on. So i came in and found the light switch that supposedly controls the lights is off as well. I can now only turn these lights off by the mains breaker, but then this also turns off all the lights downstairs. Turning the breaker back on turns the lights back on (left them on for about an hour and they still dont go off).

I have noticed though - if the mains are ever tripped in the house, upon turning the circuit breaker back on, all these drive lights used to turn on for a short while, and then turn off again - regardless if the switch in the entrance i mentioned is on or off, so this shows they are "powered" elsewhere as well as this switch? The switch in the entrance seems to be overidden by something else.

I have read online and the usual culprit to these lights could be due to the 2 lights with the PIR sensors, and that they should be taken off due to problematic sensors, is this true? I will give this a try, but just wanted to see if someone could help me figure out how these lights are being powered in the first place, if possible. Sorry if ive made a lousy explanation, bit new with this and just not sure whats going on here!

Thank you for your help!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 9:34 am 

Do you have any instructions for the lights or any details from the body of the light - make/manufacturer etc?

Check that the lights operate correctly from the wall switch - by this I mean that many of them can switch 'modes' by use of the main on/off switch. Switch them on/off quickly and note the effect. Switch them on/off/on and see if there is a difference.

By this 'function' it is possible for the lights to get 'false switching' effect when there is a brief interruption in the supply - which is why you may have found them on when you came home. That doesn't necessarily mean this is the real reason they aren't working properly but a potential cause.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : Dante22
PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 8:00 pm 
Newly registered Member

kellys_eye wrote:
Do you have any instructions for the lights or any details from the body of the light - make/manufacturer etc?

Check that the lights operate correctly from the wall switch - by this I mean that many of them can switch 'modes' by use of the main on/off switch. Switch them on/off quickly and note the effect. Switch them on/off/on and see if there is a difference.

By this 'function' it is possible for the lights to get 'false switching' effect when there is a brief interruption in the supply - which is why you may have found them on when you came home. That doesn't necessarily mean this is the real reason they aren't working properly but a potential cause.

Thank you for your reply kellys_eye!

I tried the on/off switching which didn't work, so then I went out, took the fixture off and found that disconnecting the "switched live" on one of the lights with the sensor was able to resolve the issue. I'm assuming the SL connection is for the sensor of that light. There was no visible debris in the sensor, but as I don't need the sensor portion anyway, I've just insulated the wire I took out with electrical tape and put back the fixture. Probably just failed with age I guess.