DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:06 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Drilling UPVC windows
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:01 am 
Newly registered Member

I want to attach wooden batten to UPVC window frames to hang net curtains from (so they don't touch the glass).
I intend to put it on the opening window frame but above the removable insert of course.
Is the frame solid PVC or does it have a metal inner core - can I just drill and screw as if it were wood?
Many thanks
Cynthia

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:08 am 

I have fixed roller blinds but I am not sure that fixing the weight that might be imposed by curtains would be too much. In my experience UPVC frames usually have metal in the windows that take some load like bays.

Is there another way you can approach this? Perhaps some form of blind system for the window and some curtains on the wall above to compliment?

DWD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:16 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks DWD.
Certainly weight will not be a problem, just 1m deep nets, not fabric curtains.
I was just concerned as to whether I can drill and screw into the UPVC without meeting a steel base.
Cynthia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:18 am 
Newly registered Member

they are a metal core, i normally drill a very small pilot hole and screw into it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:37 am 
Newly registered Member

Thought that might be the case - may revert to plan B and devise a self adhesive approach as there would be so little weight.
Cynthia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:11 pm 

upvc windows contain reinforcing only if they are above a certain size (over 600mm in length/height) or have a dark foil such as 'woodgrain'...
the reinforcing does not go to the ends of the section so the corners can be welded...
its purely a stiffener and under no circumstances is it designed to take any load...
bay windows correctly installed transfer all loading down through the baypoles or 'corner posts' which should be long enough to sit tight under a load bearing member and through the plastic cill onto another load bearing surface such as the brickwork or stone undercill, spreader plates are sometimes used.
any upvc bay window fitted other than this method is not load bearing or incorrectly fitted...
drilling into a upvc window is possible but not recommended unless youre aware of where you should and shouldnt drill...

drilling into the glazing rebate is not recommended although drilling into the chamber above is fine...

we used to fit plastic coated 'cup hooks' to refit net curtains for people by drilling a 2-3mm hole close to the weld and screwing them in by hand..

fitting a 'batten' would probably be better done into the reveal (plastered return) of the window opening...

or by all means use adhesive tape...

glazing tape would do the job...

cross section of a upvc window containing reinforcement

http://www.teva-sa.co.za/images/WindowCrossSec.jpg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

That is most informative and very helpful.
I did use the cuphook method in another room, and although it has worked I am well aware of its weakness and vulnerability to being knocked or pulled.
I think the adhesive method will be much more satisfactory.
Thanks again all
Cynthia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:44 pm 

Get some adjustable net rods and you wont need to drill anything http://www.price-regency.co.uk/net-rods/images/image01.jpg

They slide outwards and lock into position braced against each side of the window.Ive seen them fitted lots of windows to good effect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:53 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yes - thanks Lockie. I have used them myself but in this case the need to hang the curtains from the opening window and yet keep them away from the glass precludes their use.
Cynthia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:12 pm 

I fitted some fancy stainless stell net curtain rods last year.
Pilot drill to about 2.5mm, then use a self tapper.

The reinforcing in the frames is aluminium in most cases i believe, so easy to drill and screw into.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:39 pm 
Newly registered Member

I might try that - then if I'm not happy with the result I can resort to the stick-on solution. Best of both worlds and learn something new!
Cynthia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:47 pm 

Reinforcing can be steel or aluminium - it depends on what the fabricator wants to use (normally a cost thing)

The reinforcing, if fitted, as stated in a previous reply is only in certain parts of the frame.

This depends on a whether the frame is above a certain size (this size depends on the window system) or may be fitted when there are fittings that need a secure fixing.

The frame is made up of three chambers; outer (drainage), centre (reinforcing) inner (not used).

Therefore screwing from the inside means you will go through 2-3mm of wall, then 6-8mm of air, then a thin wall (1-2mm) then into reinforcing if fitted.

Even if reinforcing is fitted it is not always a 'box' section, it could be more of an 'L' shape so you could miss it.

So basically drill as small a hole as posible to establish what is there.

Then select a screw that is suitable.