DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:54 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Dremel
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:47 pm 

My old B & D bench grinder died yesterday, I wasn't sorry, it was probably older than me having been donated many years ago by the old girl over the road.

I always used it with some trepidation (I can't explain why, it just felt like it was always going to electrocute me :shock: ) but it was handy for sharpening bolsters and cold chisels etc. I don't need to do that any more.

I have got some projects to play with and so I went and bought a little Dremel 3000 this morning, (£37.49 - Homebase). I've since been wondering why I never bought one years ago, it's a great and fun little tool.

First project is my pottery trimming tools, I'm making the small ones from the metal inserts from a windscreen wiper rubber. They are rectangular in section and the size is approx 2.5mm X 1mm.

I need to reduce the rectangular section to a half oval (over a length of about 40mm) - still 2.5mm wide on one face but rounded off on the other three.

I had already made a carrier for them and had started to grind one down on the bench grinder, the carrier will still work with the Dremel, I can just it in a vice.

What is the best type of bit to use in the Dremel for the main roughing out?

The options I can see are various stones, (mainly aluminium Oxide) diamond coated burrs and Tungsten burrs.

One more question, the collet on the Dremel is 3.2mm, does everything going in there have to be 3.2mm or is 3mm close enough? (I've already tried a 3mm twist bit and it seemed OK). :oops:

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Dremel
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:46 pm 

Just had a look in the kit I've got which happens to be right here on the bench.
Found what I'd have tried online.
https://www.dremel.com/en-us/Accessorie ... x?pid=8193
Again just looking my kit has two collets with it. 3.2 and 2.4 mm
I wouldn't use anything apart from the right size shank stuff in them mate, can damage the collets.
Worth having a look at Aldi / Lidl as they sometimes have accessory sets that fit.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : ayjay
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:18 pm 

:thumbleft: Thanks Dave, just by pure coincidence, I'd already earmarked a couple of those on eBay, and a quick search just now for the part number has knocked off 51p - result. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 4:47 pm 

Dave54 wrote:
I wouldn't use anything apart from the right size shank stuff in them mate, can damage the collets.

Just to be on the safe side I emailed Dremel and explained that I've seen mandrels of 1/8" - 3mm - 3.17mm and 3.2mm. So which of those are safe to use in a 3.2mm collet.

I got an answer today (from Bosch) telling me all of the tools available which have a 3.2mm collet.

F****** useless.

I shall reply and ask them if they actually read my email.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:29 pm 

I hate that. I call them "non answers"
It's like when you ask a question of a company, and they reply by rearranging your question to look like an answer, but without an actual answer.
I can't describe it better than that, but you know what I mean.

"Can I use 3 mm tools in a 3.2 mm collet?"

"We supply a full range of 3.2 mm tools"

::b ::b ::b

I still wouldn't use anything except the proper size personally. :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:40 pm 

Dave54 wrote:
I hate that. I call them "non answers"

It's like when you ask a question of a company, and they reply by rearranging your question to look like an answer, but without an actual answer.

I can't describe it better than that, but you know what I mean.

I do indeed, I've experienced it before, and it's usually the larger companies that are the worst offenders.

I've sent them a (shitty) email explaining how useless their response was, ( I don't really care if I don't get a sensible answer now - it's just good fun to verbally rip the pi$$ out of someone now and again) - and I can always buy a little chuck for it that'll take anything. Everything I have for it so far has a 3.17 or a 3.2 mandrel, I'll not lose any sleep over 0.03mm. :wink:

The grinding wheels worked just fine btw. I've even made a couple of little tools, (but I need to get some more epoxy to glue them in before I can try them out).

The next thing to work out is how to keep the section between two bends straight, curved is ok but sometimes I want a straight bit there. I may need to get more sophisticated than two pairs of pliers.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:54 pm 

You'll probably get another bland non-answer from them.
I'm sure they clone their staff. . .

You'll have to make some sort of former. Could be as simple as bits of square bar or something in the vice.
I've always fancied one of these.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/sieg-miniatu ... der-211977
A bloke with a pillar drill and a few hand tools could make one similar really.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : ayjay
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:20 pm 
Pro Carpenter

i have the bosch blue 10.8v "dremel style " tool and bosch recommend dremel buts thats hardly surprizing as they are part off the same group
any way the lidl stuff fits it fine :huray:
it has a 3.2mm collet like the bosch
http://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Bosc ... escription

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:10 pm 

Dave54 wrote:
You'll probably get another bland non-answer from them.
I'm sure they clone their staff. . .

You'll have to make some sort of former. Could be as simple as bits of square bar or something in the vice.

I've always fancied one of these.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/sieg-miniatu ... der-211977
A bloke with a pillar drill and a few hand tools could make one similar really.

I've had a reply already which said to only use 3.2 mandrels in a 3.2 collet, I was sort of expecting that as it's the least useful answer, (my punishment for getting shirty with them) I feel sure that 3.17 will be ok, but I'm going to buy a chuck for it to replace the collet anyway.

A former is the obvious answer, the tricky bit is working with it when it's red hot, (the wooden one burnt up a bit). :mrgreen:

I could probably make something that looked like the mini-bender, but writing the instruction manual would be a bit more tricky. I'll take a look on youtube to try and see what goes where and how it all happens.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:13 pm 

Are you sure it isnt a 1/8" collet? 3.175mm.... :lol:

As long as they grip in the collet, I cant see 0.2mm causing a problem.... i expect half of the 3mm shank gear is probably 1/8" or 3.2, they just cant be bothered to say so, so just put '3mm' :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:35 pm 

Hitch wrote:
Are you sure it isnt a 1/8" collet? 3.175mm.... :lol:

As long as they grip in the collet, I cant see 0.2mm causing a problem.... i expect half of the 3mm shank gear is probably 1/8" or 3.2, they just cant be bothered to say so, so just put '3mm' :lol:

I would expect a 3.2mm collet (and mandrel) supplied by Dremel/Bosch to be 3.2mm - I couldn't be too sure about the Chinese stuff, but I'll attempt to search out my micrometer one day soon and check what I've actually got, it's somewhere in the back of my rubbish tip which is cunningly disguised as a van.

ayjay wrote:

A former is the obvious answer, the tricky bit is working with it when it's red hot, (the wooden one burnt up a bit). :mrgreen:

I may have had a small breakthrough here, (or at least just got the brain into gear properly), I heated up a piece of the strip I'm using to red hot and let it cool down naturally and was then able to bend it without it snapping.

Presumably I can do the same again and bend it to the correct shape and I can then heat it up again and do the quick quenching thing to harden it a bit.

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:48 pm 

Interesting that you can anneal it. I thought that depending on the type, stainless couldn't really be hardened by heat treatment. I'd have assumed that those springy strips would have (possibly) been cold rolled to make them "work hardened" or was just a hard alloy.
Are they magnetic at all? That would show how much steel is in there.
Let us know how the hardening goes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:26 pm 

Dave54 wrote:
Interesting that you can anneal it.

Are they magnetic at all? That would show how much steel is in there.

Let us know how the hardening goes.

So that's what I did!

Yes very magnetic.

I've taken wiper blades apart before and the insert has always been bright and shiny, even after a year on the van, but these ones were supplied and fitted by the garage (so not my normal wiper blades) and were practically rusty when I took them off.

I reheated the bit I annealed - :wink:- last night and bent it after quenching and it snapped, so I'm guessing it was hardened to some extent.

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:39 pm 
Old School Chippie

Maybe worth pointing out that as Dremel are American they'd almost certainly be using Imperial collet sizes, so 1/8in (3.175mm) and 3/32in (2.381mm)? I've checked the stuff in my Dremel set and all the 33.2 shanks I could find were reading 3.15 to 3.20 (Mitutoyo digital callipers), so take from that what you will

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

Time zone: Europe/London