DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:27 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:06 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi guys, I have a few issues going on out the back but not sure of best way to fix.

For one, the back step has deteriorated and moisture has gotten in around the door frame. This is causing some dampness near the door in the utility room.
So, I need to remake the back step but I want to make sure the moisture won't get back in if I just take it all out and make a new one. Do I need some sort of barrier around the frame before concreting back in? Should I just use concrete or is there better materials to use?

Next up, the DPC around the back of the house including the utility room extension and the kitchen was put in too low. Also, water from the roof drains right out onto this area and it doesn't seem to drain off properly. I think the paving wasn't laid with a proper gradient to a drain. I think this means I should run some channel drainage around the utility and kitchen walls. Should I be cutting a section of the pavers out along the wall and drop in some channel drains? There is a fresh water drain at the corner of the conservatory which I guess I need to drain it over to. The other drain is by the kitchen wall but that's grey water so looks like that option is out. I'm not sure of the layout that I should use for best practise or if there's a better idea.

At the moment these problems are causing a dampness smell in the cupboards in the utility room and in the lower kitchen cupboards. I have already bought some channel drains some time ago and some bends so would be good to use these if I can.

I've attached some pics which should explain it better. I don't mind a bit of hard work, I think I have all the tools I'd need (and need to save some ££'s) but I don't want to do a half assed job either. I've been trying to undo all the dodgy workmanship in the house since I bought it but have only had time and money for the inside so far.

Any expert advice would be great. Cheers!

Attachments:
File comment: Patio, showing where damp smell in kitchen cupboard is
Patio.JPG
Patio.JPG [ 191.89 KiB | Viewed 801 times ]
File comment: Cupboard dampness
Inside Utility 2.JPG
Inside Utility 2.JPG [ 108.58 KiB | Viewed 801 times ]
File comment: Inside Utility
Inside Utility.JPG
Inside Utility.JPG [ 157.05 KiB | Viewed 801 times ]
File comment: DPC
DPC 2.JPG
DPC 2.JPG [ 257.81 KiB | Viewed 801 times ]
File comment: Drain / DPC
DPC.JPG
DPC.JPG [ 215.95 KiB | Viewed 801 times ]
File comment: Back step 2
Back step 3.JPG
Back step 3.JPG [ 224.8 KiB | Viewed 801 times ]
File comment: Back step
Back step.JPG
Back step.JPG [ 212.21 KiB | Viewed 801 times ]
File comment: Back patio
Back step 2.JPG
Back step 2.JPG [ 174.53 KiB | Viewed 801 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:47 am 

I think you'll find more than one patio down there when you take it out, and yes its gotta come out.

Go down 4 course below the DPC and build the new patio so it, meet the property at no less than 2 bricks below DPC with the correct falls to get the rain water of to fresh water drain.

Not what you wanted to hear I know but, rain water follows gravity so why fight it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:41 am 
Newly registered Member

Hmm..no not really what I wanted to hear, but makes sense. So to be clear you're saying pull up all the pavers (and any other layer of pavers, get to the right height perhaps by digging out more, then lay it back in with correct gradients leading back to the fresh water drain? You don't think channel draining will be needed if sloped right?
I was thinking of moving the retaining wall back a couple of meters as well so I guess it would be better to do all this ary once. Amazing how a seemingly simple job can snowball!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:55 am 

Yes, big job but, if you are going to do it, do it properly

Fall the new patio towards the retaining wall, install a gully drain there discharging into a soak-away pit (located back under the new patio) which you can cover with rebar grid and loose slabs, which you can then slab the patio over. Move the retaining wall first to create the new size patio you want

What is access like, can you get any machinery in mini digger ect.?

For this message the author The man with no aim has received gratitude : Dudefinch
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:51 pm 
Newly registered Member

Access isn't great being in a mid terrace house, but I've looked at micro diggers that can apparently fit through a standard door way. This might be the way to go albeit slow work if having to push a wheelbarrow at a time through the house (luckily a straight run) into a skip out the front. I think I'd have about 10 cubic metres of soil to take out, as well as the wall and whatever's under the pavers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:39 pm 

the flat roof room hass single brick walls painted with what looks like shiny paint instead of masonry paint.the door is well exposed an cant go back any further. the DPC is half a brickbelow the finished floor. which might if you dont have a membrane under the slab mean there is bridging damp inside between the slab and the wall.does the slab run under the door or is there a timber threshold exposed to theoutside?
the conservatory looks like its one brick off the ground.
so maybe you have penetrating damp around the door and heavy condensation in other places if thats the case then lowering the yardsurface wont give all that much help.

For this message the author wes56 has received gratitude : Dudefinch
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:52 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the extra info wes, yes, I guess that paint may not be letting the walls breathe enough.

I can't see any timber running anywhere around the door, it looks like it's all just concrete.

So you still don't think it would even be worth lowering the patio?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:55 pm 
Newly registered Member

Back door

Attachments:
File comment: Back door
Back door.JPG
Back door.JPG [ 122.85 KiB | Viewed 460 times ]