DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:09 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:22 am 
Newly registered Member

I had a 'long term' garage/workshop project on the go for a few years, widening and lengthening it !

I had a builder put up a 7m long and 2.5m high standard block wall a few years back on a deep concrete footing that I put in. He made a very neat job, which has 20mm mortar joints and he didn't put a DPC in as he said that can weaken the stability of the wall. Is 20mm OK and no DPC ? if I need DPC are there some sort of 'plugs' I can put at intervals along a low level (think I've seen these somewhere ?)

I am now constructing an opposite wall myself where I am using hollow (double, 220 thick) blocks for the first 4 tiers and then will go standard 100mm thick blocks up to 2.5m high (putting a shelf type feature at 4 tiers high ….). Should I be putting a DPC over the first line of blocks, and if so, and thinking of using some 'rebar' rods in some cavities and mortar filling for strength, do I penetrate a DPC with the rods ? And mortar thickness ?

Hope I have explained clear enough, being a jack of all trades and nowhere near a master of anything ??

many thanks in anticipation of guidance.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:53 am 

Worry you have not had an expert response, if no damp showing in old wall then there is unlikely a local issue, 7mtr no columns is a stretch in my book, will also depends how you will tie the walls and roof, plus I always like a bit of rebar, horizontal in block mortar as well.

For this message the author aeromech3 has received gratitude : ChippyJoe