A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:26 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Double Glazing Quote
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:55 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Guys,

I am looking to have white uPVC double glazing put in to my house in London. I wanted to do it myself but then found out you have to be FENSA registered.
1) The best quote I have had so far is 4100 pounds ( including VAT and fitting ) to have : two front bays, box room window and rear upstairs bedroom window put in ( so four windows in total ).
The company has it's own fitters and has had excellent reviews on trust-pilot.
The spec is: SEAL uPVC Profile ( not synseal ), Guardian A rated glass, and Espag Handles and locks.
The frame and glass come with a 10 year guarantee and the handles and locks have a 2 year guarantee.

2) Another company quoted me 4500 pounds ( including VAT and fitting ) for: Linea uPVC frame, K-Glass and Shoot-bolt locks and a 10 year guarantee on the frame, glass and locks ( reviews were not as good as the first company on google ).

I was told that ideally, a German uPVC frame with Planitherm glass is the way forward - but others have said it's not necessarily about the quality of the frame or glass, but the fitting itself and guarantee - not sure who to believe. I have a budget of around 4000 pounds - so not sure if a 'Rehau' German frame or Planitherm One glass is affordable.

I wanted to ask:
1) Does anyone know / have experience of a decent Double Glazing supplier and fitter in West London ?.
2) Is the spec I have been offered for 4100 good ? - or can I do better by asking a factory to fabricate the windows and locks for cheaper ( eg. German upvc frame, decent glass and Yale Locks ) and then get a builder or joiner to install them ?.

Thanks guys and much appreciated.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Double Glazing Quote
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:29 pm 

Much depends on the size of the windows. Your bays may comprise of ten window units each with main panels, transom lights and dummy units to match nicely and then the number of openers. Also, whether there is bay reinforcement needed. It has a lot of variables. Add to that there is making good, an allowance they make for chunks of plaster coming off and on top of that there is waste disposal, site access and all the things that they include. Of course it is best to have a FENSA registered firm as you need the ticket when you sell, and you have some comfort that they (should) know what they are doing and it will all meet regulations.

How many units?

DWD

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:35 pm 

I wouldn't get a builder to install windows, I would let some one who does it all day long (and so is experienced in doing it) that would be a window installation company, certainly not a joiner.
There must be lots of window companies in W London, get one more quote and see who is best of the 3

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:57 pm 

someone-else wrote:
I wouldn't get a builder to install windows, I would let some one who does it all day long (and so is experienced in doing it) that would be a window installation company, certainly not a joiner.
There must be lots of window companies in W London, get one more quote and see who is best of the 3

Certainly not a joiner.....it’s a joiners job to fit windows,window fitting isn’t a trade but part of a joiner/carpenters skill set and I’d have a joiner fit a window over a one trick pony who can only fit windows or doors.

To the OP,the upvc windows now are all much of a muchness and you were correctly informed the correct installation of them is the critical part in how long the will last and how well they perform.
You’re always gonna pay more in London for anything but check out any customer reviews and any Facebook pages they may have,Facebook holds no prisoners if you are crap and you can usually see plenty photos of work that’s been done.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:24 pm 

steviejoiner74, as I pressed "submit" I thought of you.
Its no reflection of you but I still stand by what I said, on the grounds that if it were timber framed / custom wooden frames you would be at the top of the list to make / install them, but its not, its uPVC windows in this case.

If a wooden window was slightly out, I wouldn't be surprised if you got out a plane a corrected it, but if it were a uPVC window...... that's why I said not a joiner.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:14 pm 

im a joiner and ive fitted countless pvc windows.

i was on a job a while back and anglian got the contract for the windows. i think the comopany i work for had quoted somewhere in the region of £15k to supply and fit the windows. one of which was a absolutely huge monster window that went up with the peak of the roof in the gable end of an extension we had built.

anglian quoted more like £30k and they got the job. aye they were decent to a certain extent. but some of the windows were fitted on the p*ss. they knacked up other stuff. one window was fitted totally incorectly. and the fitter was an absolute knob haha.

certainly the majority of the windows were well fitted. but no more so than if i had done them myself. and i wouldnt have fitted the badly fitted ones as bad as he fitted em.... so dunno what went on there

For this message the author fin has received gratitude : dave3011
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:22 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you guys.

Quote:
How many units?

There are six individual windows in the bottom bay and also six individual windows in the top bay, plus two windows - so 14 units altogether.

I contacted a German uPVC fabricator in the midlands - they quoted me 2460 pounds ( including delivery and vat BUT I do my own installation) for the following spec: Rehau Total 70 Frames, Planitherm Glass, Shoot-Bolt Locks.

How can I find an installer / joiner who will fit these windows to FENSA standards ?.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:34 pm 

someone-else wrote:
steviejoiner74, as I pressed "submit" I thought of you.
Its no reflection of you but I still stand by what I said, on the grounds that if it were timber framed / custom wooden frames you would be at the top of the list to make / install them, but its not, its uPVC windows in this case.

If a wooden window was slightly out, I wouldn't be surprised if you got out a plane a corrected it, but if it were a uPVC window...... that's why I said not a joiner.

Fitting Upvc doors and windows is also part of a chippies job(well it certainly is in Scotland anyway)
It’s one of the many things you are taught to do when you serve your apprenticeship and I think that certainly in large parts of England the whole carpentry and joinery trade is being diluted into lots of little semi skilled sub trades.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:39 pm 

It doesn't matter what company you use, its the fitters that will make or break a job, a local company to me had a very good rep, had to turn work away, so took on sub contractors with in 12 months they went to the wall with there rep in the gutter

Take online reviews with a pinch of salt, the unscrupulous will buy reviews

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:15 am 

dave3011 wrote:
I contacted a German uPVC fabricator in the midlands - they quoted me 2460 pounds ( including delivery and vat BUT I do my own installation) for the following spec: Rehau Total 70 Frames, Planitherm Glass, Shoot-Bolt Locks.

How can I find an installer / joiner who will fit these windows to FENSA standards ?.

IMHO you are on a high risk strategy if you measure and order the windows and get someone else (not him) to fit them. Extra bits will be needed anyway and sometimes bay windows may support what is above them. You did not seem to say that you got any quotes from Rehau fitters/suppliers. You have checked the rehau website and their locator gadget to find your nearest fitters etc? By the way the quotes do not sound too expensive to me.

I have not involvement with windows apart from getting Rehau fitted a few years ago.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:16 am 
Newly registered Member

OchAye wrote:
dave3011 wrote:

IMHO you are on a high risk strategy if you measure and order the windows and get someone else (not him) to fit them. Extra bits will be needed anyway and sometimes bay windows may support what is above them. You did not seem to say that you got any quotes from Rehau fitters/suppliers. You have checked the rehau website and their locator gadget to find your nearest fitters etc? By the way the quotes do not sound too expensive to me.

I have not involvement with windows apart from getting Rehau fitted a few years ago.

OchAye, Thank you for the advice.

I was hoping to get a joiner / installer to measure the windows and I then use those measurements to order the windows from a factory ?.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:10 am 

Although it seems a straight forward process, and usually it is, you need a FENSA certificate if you sell so DIY solutions are fraught with problems. I would urge you to carry on getting supply and install quotes and ensure they are FENSA registered. Quite frankly FENSA is a bit of a swizz, it is not something like Gas Safe, but it does give you some comeback if things go wrong. Getting the measurements a bit wrong is a costly mistake and bringing your own installer in does not mean he will clear the trade waste and make good etc.

DWD

DWD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:31 am 

I was talking to my building inspector about windows a couple of months ago. I said I'd probably change some next year. He said get on and sort them out then give him a call then he can come and check them over and issue a certificate, one off fee of about £120 I think he said, be it one, or 21 windows.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:55 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I have just heard that my double glazing quotation does not include replacing the internal sill if it is rotten - the company have said they will cover over the existing internal sill with uPVC for an extra 200 pounds.

1) Should the internal sill be included in the quote ?
2) Is it good practice, to have the internal sill completely removed or covered over with uPVC ?.
3) What should I do ?.

Thanks