DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:57 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Double check valves
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:58 am 

I wish to fit a garden tap fed from the cold water for the kitchen sink. Reading around I know that I have to fit a double check valves. I am unable to obtain such a thing here in Ireland. In fact no one I talk to has even heard of them, one plumber told me that the ball isolating valve has an arrow on it and it only allows the water to flow one way and hence no backflow. I now know from an earlier post that the arrow indicates correct flow so that the ball is not shot out if the direction is incorrect.

What should I do? Join two check valves in series?

Many thanks,

PeterVincent

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:12 am 

You probably have different regs to us if they ain't available. two singles would do though.

Fit a stopcock or full flow lever valve, not a cheap ball type isolating valve, and don't forget the draincock.

You may be able to get a hose union tap with check valves in-built.

In the case of cheap isolating valves the arrow denotes the end that can safely be disconnected, without the little ball flying out under pressure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:17 pm 

thescruff wrote:
...Fit a stopcock or full flow lever valve, not a cheap ball type isolating valve, and don't forget the draincock...

Inside the house, and that pipework is also supposed to be lagged

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]