DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:49 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: dot n dab...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:23 pm 

noticed recently whilst following on from lads who had dab'd boards on that they occasionally were lose at the bottom. when i was fitting skirting boards. i got round this by drilling holes and squirting a bit foam in to take the slack up on the boards

also... i followed onto a job and the lads had a bash at putting on cement boards for a wet room. theyd used dab....

a quick google search led me to realise that this was inapropriate and im gonna make a frame and fix the boards to that.

however when i was knocking off the dab theyd put on i was surprised at how easy it came off. like litterally a tap with a hammer and bolster chisel and it popped it off the wall.

i remember the first time i came across this more than 10 years ago and the dab when it was set was as hard as bugery bolocks

im gonna insist that they actually do continuous lines of dab in future and do 3 - 4 lines per board... and tops and bottoms too.

but the main thing i was thinking is am i missing something here.. do walls sometimes need priming or something for dab?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: dot n dab...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:38 pm 

Fin I had to knock off a dabbed board last week and the proper gyproc adhesive sets like rock and is a c**t to bolster off the block!
It's always a continuous dab along the bottom I've seen,the paslode bites into it nicely when putting skirting on.
Got to say tho,anytime I have to dab boards on I use the pink dryfix in a can,way quicker for me as I can't mix plaster or adhesive for love nor money!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:04 pm 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
Fin I had to knock off a dabbed board last week and the proper gyproc adhesive sets like rock and is a c**t to bolster off the block!
It's always a continuous dab along the bottom I've seen,the paslode bites into it nicely when putting skirting on.
Got to say tho,anytime I have to dab boards on I use the pink dryfix in a can,way quicker for me as I can't mix plaster or adhesive for love nor money!!

Fin - Stevie is right , Gyproc Adhesive sticks like sh** to a blanket and as hard as rock! Yours can't have gone off!

Stevie - your spot on, it should be a solid line at the bottom for skirt fix.
Can't say I've come across the Pink Dryfix. Mixing plaster & adhesive; get yourself a small whisk for your drill mate :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:06 pm 

davyp1 wrote:
steviejoiner74 wrote:

Fin - Stevie is right , Gyproc Adhesive sticks like sh** to a blanket and as hard as rock! Yours can't have gone off!

Stevie - your spot on, it should be a solid line at the bottom for skirt fix.
Can't say I've come across the Pink Dryfix. Mixing plaster & adhesive; get yourself a small whisk for your drill mate :)

I only have to dab the odd board or two every other month so the dryfix is about a tenner a can and lasts me about a year. No mess mixing anything up and it's set in 10/20 minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:29 am 

I also like the sticky foam in a can for putting up boards, way faster than dry powder mix, less waste, easy to transport, gives decent amount of working time to get board positioned just right (for those awkward ones) and solid as a rock in about an hour.
No clean up as such just spray the applicator gun nozzle after each use with appropriate cleaner.
I got the first idea of this watching this video UHM Video
I havent used the Pink Dryfix one myself I started of with Soudal brand but moved over to No Nonsense stuff. The cans with built in application straw nozzle work to a degree but are harder to control flow and can leak out the pressurised gas. Its a lot easier having your own applicator gun.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:42 am 

For anyone interested this was written by plasterers for trade and diy.

http://www.plasterersforum.com/threads/ ... ing.32720/

Mike

For this message the author London mike 61 has received gratitude : Argyll
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:10 pm 

London mike 61 wrote:

Mike

Quote:
all they basically are is little bits of plasterboard or wood cut at 2" squares, these a set on the wall with plaster, in line with each other and level. they are set about 1ft apart from each other and once the dots are set you will put dabs of plaster in between them and then put your plasterboard in place and push it back so that the board makes contact with all the dots behind it leaving you with a straight level wall.

Mate that's the answer I've been looking for to a question I've been dying to ask but couldn't quite get the wording right. Go straight to the top of the class :thumbright:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:17 pm 

Argyll wrote:
London mike 61 wrote:

Mike

Quote:
all they basically are is little bits of plasterboard or wood cut at 2" squares, these a set on the wall with plaster, in line with each other and level. they are set about 1ft apart from each other and once the dots are set you will put dabs of plaster in between them and then put your plasterboard in place and push it back so that the board makes contact with all the dots behind it leaving you with a straight level wall.

Mate that's the answer I've been looking for to a question I've been dying to ask but couldn't quite get the wording right. Go straight to the top of the class :thumbright:

Btw no plasterer on earth uses this method...it'd take faaaaaar to long.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:55 pm 

Yeah I know Stevie but I'd be using it for my own house and in no rush :thumbright:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:47 am 
Newly registered Member

Will this be able to hold up Hardiebacker board?

I'll use mechanical fixings but will it be able to hold it in position in the meantime before fixings?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:01 am 

steviejoiner74 wrote:

Btw no plasterer on earth uses this method...it'd take faaaaaar to long.

I've only ever attempted to dot and dab a wall once, it was back in the 70s, and this was the method we were shown to use. The pads were supplied for the job, from memory they were some sort of compressed board, they looked a bit like a green hardboard pegboard and were about 3" X 2" X 1/8". They would easily accept and hold a clout nail to hold the board while the plaster dried.

Me and my mate got the wall dotted out in a day (maybe less) the next day we put up two sheets of p/b - it took us all that time to get the plaster from the bucket onto the wall - neither of us could use a trowel with any great success. :oops:

We got taken off that and given a roof to do instead. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:07 am 

The Engineer wrote:

I'll use mechanical fixings but will it be able to hold it in position in the meantime before fixings?

be aware that on a job ive recently been on some lads had dabbed hardi backer boards to brick walls dab/board/dab/hardibacker board.

this didnt work and i could by hand pop every single board off the wall.

i ended up building frame work out of timber to attach the hardi backer boards to

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:08 am 
Newly registered Member

fin wrote:
The Engineer wrote:

be aware that on a job ive recently been on some lads had dabbed hardi backer boards to brick walls dab/board/dab/hardibacker board.

this didnt work and i could by hand pop every single board off the wall.

i ended up building frame work out of timber to attach the hardi backer boards to

I'm assuming they didn't use mechanical fixings?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:42 pm 

Apparently the mechanical fixings are only meant to be used until the adhesive dries and then removed. is this correct? I really cannot see what harm it would do if left in situ.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:53 pm 
Newly registered Member

Argyll wrote:
Apparently the mechanical fixings are only meant to be used until the adhesive dries and then removed. is this correct? I really cannot see what harm it would do if left in situ.

I beg to differ, they are meant to remain is my understanding.

If they weren't meant to be a permanent addition, you might aswell use a prop to hold the board in place.

Time zone: Europe/London