DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:42 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 10:54 am 

Having absorbed the info in your location diagram, I doubt very much if the room stat cable goes anywhere near the programmer (thescruff's suggestion) as the route would be tortious. But there's no harm in checking.

Could you remove the programmer from the backplate, then remove the backplate from the wall (leave all wires connected) and tell us what you find behind the backplate?

Ah! The inestimable CJ and Reginald Perrin; required viewing when the series first came out.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 2:36 pm 
Newly registered Member

Soopah!

Here's a picture of the programmer I posted earlier. ("One I made earlier....) I assume that shows the backplate. To remove the backplate, do I just undo the two screws? Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 7:30 pm 

If you mean the two wood screws, then yes.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 12:51 pm 
Newly registered Member

Apologies for the delay in responding.

I've removed the two woodscrews and pulled the programmer away from the back-plate. The wires attached to the programmer only permit it to be moved a short distance away from the back-plate which severely restricts what one can see of the wiring but please see below two images which show something of the wiring between the programmer and the back-plate. I don't know how helpful these pictures are. The only way to get a complete picture of what's happening, wiring-wise, behind the programmer is to disconnect all the wires which is something I wouldn't feel comfortable doing.

I'm now going to chase up the British Gas guy to see if he's managed to find out how they managed to solve these issues when they installed his Worcester last year.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 2:21 pm 
Newly registered Member

....when they installed my next-door neighbours Worcester last year.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 6:02 pm 

Thank's for trying but, as you rightly say, the pics are no help. Why do installers leave such short tails? I've just had the same problem replacing a ceiling rose; there was virtually no slack in the three cables connect to the rose. I guess they wired up the rose then pulled all the cables tight up in the loft.

Hope the BG chap comes up with a Hiveless solution.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:22 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks, David, and thescruff and everyone else who has made a contribution to the thread. Like all good soap operas, I promise to let everyone know the ending....

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:24 am 

We await the next episode with bated breath!

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:55 am 
Newly registered Member

You haven't had to wait long, David!

"My" British Gas representative came back to me this morning to say that he has spoken with the BG guy who installed my next-door neighbour's Worcester Bosch Greenstar Ri30 regular boiler and he can confirm that it was installed with what they call the "Standard Installation Pack" which means that there was no additional wiring involved in the install, which is great news.

My OTHER next-door neighbour is looking to replace his 30 year-old Potterton Netaheat 16/22 "3-wire" effort so we'll, in all likelihood, be making a joint decision vis-à-vis new boilers soon.

To be continued....

The BBC have approached me with the prospect of using this thread as the basis for a mini-series.... Provisional cast list includes-

Yours Truly - Michael Caine
David Hailsham - Anthony Hopkins
thescruff - Daniel Day-Lewis

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 5:58 pm 

I wonder how BG complied with this instruction in the Installation Manual:

NOTICE: System pump: The system pump must be connected to the appliance for the pump over-run function.

There is no cable available to connect the pump!

How friendly are you with your neighbour? Some pics of his installation might explain how BG did the impossible.

I could always play myself, under my real name, as D_Hailsham is only my stage name - just like Eric "Morecambe"!

For this message the author D Hailsham has received gratitude : peterfoster
PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:39 am 
Newly registered Member

Interesting.

I'll see if an opportune moments arises to ask my next door neighbour if I can ferret around in his airing cupboard with my Kody Browniak....

By "installation" do you mean the junction box in the airing cupboard?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 5:21 pm 

peterfoster wrote:
By "installation" do you mean the junction box in the airing cupboard?

Yes. It's the pump connection which is important.

On your system the pump is connected to the same terminal (no 2) as the switched live to the boiler i.e

No. 2 - BLUE in grey sleeving (Goes into the wall, in boiler heating controls LIVE)
ORANGE (Goes to valve heating)
ORANGE (Goes to Valve hot water)
BROWN (Goes to pump)

If your neighbour's boiler is correctly wired with pump overrun, it will be connected to a separate terminal block with another wire which goes down to the boiler (probably in the same cable as the switched live to the boiler).

The orange wire(s) from the valve(s) will be connected to a separate terminal with the switched live to the boiler and (possibly) a wire from the cylinder thermostat. This will depend on what "plan" (S or Y) has been used.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6