DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:48 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY or get a pro?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:43 pm 
Newly registered Member

I did some DIY skimming on plasterboard ~8 years ago so although very rusty I have the rough technique. I have now just stripped Artex off using x-tex (was tested and has no asbestos) and am left with some walls that look like they might be beyond some DIY. Having only worked with plasterboard before I don't even know where to start with plastering onto brick, there appears to be some thick rough sandy textured plaster on the brick and then just a few mm of multifinish on the top, the plaster that is on the walls is relatively smooth and flat despite looking like Swiss cheese.

I guess I have a few questions
Would I need to reapply the base layer of plaster or would ~3cm of multifinish do the trick all the way back to the brick?
What do I seal the walls with? just PVA?
As the wall is flat is there another product I could just use to fill the holes and cover up where the plasters blown away from the brick?
If I do need to get a pro in what would you estimate 2 walls that are 10 * 8 feet would cost?

Thanks for any info that can point me in the right direction.

*Edit* Sorry I cant workout how to rotate the pictures, they should all be portrait.

Attachments:
IMG_1432.JPG
IMG_1432.JPG [ 93.05 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]
IMG_1430.JPG
IMG_1430.JPG [ 100.73 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]
IMG_1429.JPG
IMG_1429.JPG [ 88.29 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]
IMG_1428.JPG
IMG_1428.JPG [ 95.65 KiB | Viewed 640 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: DIY or get a pro?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:00 pm 

:welcomeuhm:

A bit difficult to get the idea of scale/size there. But that should (from what I can see) be do-able with a good quality filler. Probably 2 or 3 layers to build up to the finish level and just spray water onto the bare brick to control suction with the first.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:38 pm 

I have patched up many a wall like yours just using a sand & cement mix (half & half Sharp/Soft Sand mixed 4:1 with Cement + Feb)
Where it's deep, get a scratch coat on in the morning with those not so deep; ruling them off with a darby or a wood straight edge. As they start to set rub them over with a Plastic Float.
You can 2nd coat the deeper ones in the afternoon ruling them off., As they start to set, rub em up as above.
Coat up each wall with Unibond (Mix as stated on the Jar) just before you start to skim it.

If your in a rush, use Bonding Coat instea of sand & cement.

If you need the griff on skimming just ask.

Cheers.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:45 pm 

zooty wrote:
Would I need to reapply the base layer of plaster or would ~3cm of multifinish do the trick all the way back to the brick?

Whatever you do, don't attempt to apply 3cm of multifinish to anything, ever. I'm not a plasterer, but over the years I've made just about ever error possible related to plastering, including that one!

I'd use a bonding coat, and 2x multifinish over the top of that. But like I say, I'm not a plasterer -- I only play at it.

There are "one coat" solutions, but I've never managed to get a decent finish out of them (this may very well be because I'm crap though). Also I'm not sure a one coat plaster is suitable for a depth of ~3cm (you'd have to check the info on bag, or the manufacturer's website).

EDIT: Just checked the info for Thistle OneCoat and it says it can be applied in max 11mm coats up to a depth of 25mm (I guess that'd be 2x 11mm coats in place of the bonding, and 2x skim coats of 2mm.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:36 am 

davyp1 wrote:
I have patched up many a wall like yours just using a sand & cement mix (half & half Sharp/Soft Sand mixed 4:1 with Cement + Feb)
Where it's deep, get a scratch coat on in the morning with those not so deep; ruling them off with a darby or a wood straight edge. As they start to set rub them over with a Plastic Float.
You can 2nd coat the deeper ones in the afternoon ruling them off., As they start to set, rub em up as above.
Coat up each wall with Unibond (Mix as stated on the Jar) just before you start to skim it.

If your in a rush, use Bonding Coat instea of sand & cement.

If you need the griff on skimming just ask.

Cheers.

Perhaps I was not clear!
My thoughts are:
    Complete the patching using sand / cement mix (or bonding) as above.
    Unibond before skimming.
    Skim using Thistle board finish. This is a 2 hour + chemical action. Apply your first coat thinly placing 2/3mm over the wall, then fall back to your start point applying your 2nd coat which is basicly application of a little more plaster but mainly flattening and producing the finish.
    Keep troweling the area until satisfied with the finish.
    A little water applied from a small cheap garden spray can be applied during final polishing.
    Practice makes perfect

I will also mention cleanliness. Be sure to wash out the bucket before doing further mix's required! Previous plaster left in the bucket will cause the new mix to 'flash off'. Just a quick clean with a brush under the tap!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:53 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks everyone! you've been a great help

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]