DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 12:20 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: DIY Crossbow
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:10 pm 

I do mediaeval re-enactment and had the idea of doing a Burgundian crossbowman impression at one time which is why I started the bow but to be honest we do more with the longbow and bill hence why it ended up on the shelf.
The safety catch would be a decent idea. The originals didn't have any such thing by and large and had the long exposed lever trigger which I always think must have loosed accidentally at times. Shooting style seems to have been with the stock on top of the shoulder , fingers on top of the tiller with the thumb acting on the lever. The most powerful one I have ever seen was at an event at Stafford castle . The guy using it said it was something like 450lbs drawweieght and used a windlass , sort of block and tackle, to span it. To be honest probably too powerful to be of any use , he shot a bolt over the castle never to be seen again.
By the way what have you used for the string?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:33 pm 
Jack Of All Trades

rotciv wrote:
Gadget wrote:
A budding William Tell.. :lol:

As a matter of fact, i was looking for an assistant willing to hold an apple on his head for target practice. If you would like to volunteer, I'll be much obliged :-)

What's the wage rate?.. :lol:

For this message the author Gadget has received gratitude : ultimatehandyman
PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:16 pm 
Pro Carpenter

extremely impressive :huray: :huray:
attention to detail quite amazing along with quality off finish as brilliant :thumbright:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:16 pm 

Grendel wrote:
I do mediaeval re-enactment and had the idea of doing a Burgundian crossbowman impression at one time which is why I started the bow but to be honest we do more with the longbow and bill hence why it ended up on the shelf.
The safety catch would be a decent idea. The originals didn't have any such thing by and large and had the long exposed lever trigger which I always think must have loosed accidentally at times. Shooting style seems to have been with the stock on top of the shoulder , fingers on top of the tiller with the thumb acting on the lever. The most powerful one I have ever seen was at an event at Stafford castle . The guy using it said it was something like 450lbs drawweieght and used a windlass , sort of block and tackle, to span it. To be honest probably too powerful to be of any use , he shot a bolt over the castle never to be seen again.
By the way what have you used for the string?

That is why i narrowed the spring because otherwise i would have had to use the windlass and it is to cumbersome.
As for the string, I used what locally is known as builder's string. It is also used to suspend plumb bobs. I made two continuous loops an reinforced them at the ends an in the middle using thinner string.
I didn't use the long trigger as i felt it was dangerous, but having a short trigger needs quite a bit of effort to overcome the pull of the string.
I was thinking of trying to make a recurve bow with detachable laminated springs so that it could be carried more easily, but locally i have not been able to find uni directional fiberglass matting and on the internet it is usually sold in large rolls which is not economical for me as i only need a couple of feet x 2 inches.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:19 pm 

Gadget wrote:
rotciv wrote:
Gadget wrote:

As a matter of fact, i was looking for an assistant willing to hold an apple on his head for target practice. If you would like to volunteer, I'll be much obliged :-)

That's no problem, you can name your price. Most probably, with my failing eyesight you won't be able to claim your payment after the target practice :-)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:24 pm 

big-all wrote:
extremely impressive :huray: :huray:
attention to detail quite amazing along with quality off finish as brilliant :thumbright:

Coming from you, that's a comment I appreciate greatly. :thumbright: I love to make things which are functional and if possible, pleasing to the eye and although i hate sanding but in this case i took extra care in sanding properly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:19 pm 

Most of the bowstrings we use nowadays are made from Dacron although a few who want to be really authentic have tried linen strings. I have heard someone talking of attempting a string from nettle fibres but don't think anyone has done it yet.
The windlass does look a tad awkward especially if one was in an actual battle. There's a device called a goats foot which is in efffect a removable lever to span the bow and and a cranequin which is a sort of ratchet . Bit of info here , https://todsworkshop.com/blogs/blog/cro ... ng-methods
I have a "theory" regarding the relationship between crossbows and tools. Spring steel bows started to apppear early fifteenth century and push saws very soon after . Of course you need spring steel for a push saw else you'll just end up with a bent saw so I reckon that the saws were an offshoot of military technogoly .

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:32 pm 
Jack Of All Trades

rotciv wrote:
Gadget wrote:
rotciv wrote:
Gadget wrote:

That's no problem, you can name your price. Most probably, with my failing eyesight you won't be able to claim your payment after the target practice :-)

Maybe I'll try for a job elsewhere.. :wave:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:47 pm 

Gadget wrote:
rotciv wrote:
Gadget wrote:
rotciv wrote:
Gadget wrote:

Maybe I'll try for a job elsewhere.. :wave:

Wish you luck, but the offer is still open :lol:

For this message the author rotciv has received gratitude : Gadget
PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:06 am 

Reminds me of another event at Stafford castle where a group tried the shooting an apple off someone's head thing . They were using bows as opposed to crossbows and luckily the "host" for the target apple wore a helm and carried a shield because they had a terrible time trying to hit the apple . In the end one of them walked over and knocked it off with hiis sword. A little embarrassing and I was relieved it wasn't my group trying this out.
I've been a live target on a number of occasions . On the battlefield but also we tried "have a go archery" where some of us were the targets. People seem far more keen to shoot at us than at plywood cutouts .

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:20 pm 

Grendel wrote:
Most of the bowstrings we use nowadays are made from Dacron although a few who want to be really authentic have tried linen strings. I have heard someone talking of attempting a string from nettle fibres but don't think anyone has done it yet.
The windlass does look a tad awkward especially if one was in an actual battle. There's a device called a goats foot which is in efffect a removable lever to span the bow and and a cranequin which is a sort of ratchet . Bit of info here , https://todsworkshop.com/blogs/blog/cro ... ng-methods
I have a "theory" regarding the relationship between crossbows and tools. Spring steel bows started to apppear early fifteenth century and push saws very soon after . Of course you need spring steel for a push saw else you'll just end up with a bent saw so I reckon that the saws were an offshoot of military technogoly .

You are very knowledgeable in medieval armour and should i attempt to make a longbow, i will surely ak you some questions if you don't mind. thanks for the link, it contains a lot of useful info. :thumbright:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:32 am 

I don't know about being "very knowledgeable" , passable might be a better word. I've made some pieces and done a fair bit of butted mail although even that has been sidelined for imported riveted Indian mail now.
I have made longbows and being a woodworker that's more my sphere so I'll be happy to offer assistance if that time ever comes.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:20 pm 

Grendel wrote:
I don't know about being "very knowledgeable" , passable might be a better word. I've made some pieces and done a fair bit of butted mail although even that has been sidelined for imported riveted Indian mail now.
I have made longbows and being a woodworker that's more my sphere so I'll be happy to offer assistance if that time ever comes.

Thanks for the offer, i will surely contact you for advise once i find the time to start the project.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:28 pm 
Site Admin

That is another brilliant piece of kit that you have made. You are very skilful and everything you make is superb :salute:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:04 pm 

ultimatehandyman wrote:
That is another brilliant piece of kit that you have made. You are very skilful and everything you make is superb :salute:

Thanks Chez, the encouragement is highly appreciated. :thumbright:

For this message the author rotciv has received gratitude : ultimatehandyman

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]