DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:52 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Disappointing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:54 pm 

We were in town today and I was very disappointed to see the lack of people wearing poppies. This year for the first time it seems that no one cares a toss any more. It is a sad reflection on peoples attitude today.

Is this just around me or has anyone else noticed it also?

DWD

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Disappointing
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:01 pm 

# reminder to self; buy a poppy tomorrow... (hangs head in shame) :oops:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:25 pm 

Loads were them where I come from and the Main Street in my town is packed on Remembrance Sunday outside the war memorial every year. Although last week Celtic were the only Scottish team(again) that refused to wear them on their shirts. Brendan Rogers wore one when he managed Liverpool and reading but didn’t whilst at Celtic...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:17 pm 

Not sure.

I always donate but rarely wear the poppy. It was getting to the point of 'emotional blackmail' and would even be necessary but for .gov and politics.

Reminding people of the sacrifices made should be conversant with reminding people that it was GOVERNMENT and POLITICIANS that start wars (backed by the banksters of course). Maybe something useful would come of it then.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 11:55 pm 
Old School Chippie

The bit of hijacking I'm opposed to is the use of the white poppy by the peace brigade and the inference that by wearing a red poppy is somehow supporting war

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:26 am 

Stood and observed the silence yesterday - although I was at home alone - and made the usual donation to our local collector of monies. Got the poppy too but it will stay on the sideboard. Not that we go out much......

As mentioned, there isn't enough condemnation of war - .gov are, even now, angling for conflict (making false accusations against the likes of Russia etc) all over the globe if not already engaged in conflict it so it's rank hypocrisy of them to hype up the commemorations. It's not as if our own land is under threat of invasion.....

... for if it was I would be one of the first to step forward to defend it - even though I'm well past conscription (or even voluntary) age.

It should be mandatory for politicians and their offspring to be FIRST on the front lines in any conflict.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:41 am 

We were in town again yesterday and there was a better showing of poppies but I put that down to the fact that there were a lot of 'forces' poppy sellers about. Mrs D wears a very nice enamelled poppy she bought from the British Legion and I noticed quite a few people wearing them. I felt the BL shot themselves in the foot with these because once you have bought them the chances are you will not bother to contribute to a poppy seller on a yearly basis.

The other side to this was that the BL used to phone her every year after she bought one on the cadge for money. It became so annoying I took the call last year and told the bloke we had separated (Mrs D had just gone to make me a cup of tea) and he apologetically wiped her from the list.

I think that as the second world war veterans are dying off now and the apparent lack of knowledge, awareness and respect of the young I can see this tradition fading away like the old soldiers.

DWD

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:46 pm 

I've held my hands up on this one before...no doubt some will not agree...

I dont tend to wear a poppy, 99% of the time i'm in work gear or whatever, so putting a poppy on to go an fill a skip on Sunday morning for instance seemed pointless. I did venture elsewhere (Screwfix and Wickes), but didnt have a poppy on, because i was still in my work gear.

On Sunday, I did stop and take some time to reflect as many many others.
Sometimes throughout the year, I also stop and think for a few moments, not just when its dictated on a specific day and time. Just because i'm not wearing a symbol on my grubby work shirt for no one to see, doesn't mean I don't remember.
And for the collection side of it, i put my hand in my pocket, just simply didnt take a poppy.

For this message the author Hitch has received gratitude : dewaltdisney

Time zone: Europe/London