DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:33 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Demolition 1990's
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:31 pm 
Newly registered Member

Wondered if any forum members had any first-hand experience of building demolition in the mid to late 1990's? Were there still controls on asbestos being released as there is today - i.e the removal prior to demolition etc?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Demolition 1990's
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:48 pm 
Pro Carpenter

heeelllooo and welcome Trev78 :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
bit off an open ended question really
where there regs in place yes where they complied with who knows :dunno:
do you have any comeback if not complied with who knows :dunno:
if you say specifically what you are after then we can suggest a solution and possible outcome

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:57 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi, basically I am interested in a mill site that was demolished in the mid to late 90s and has since been redeveloped as housing.

Got me thinking whether controls were in place back then for cleaning up the site prior to housing with asbestos removal and soil tests etc, or whether they just pulled it down.

Obviously, even nowadays demolition contractors can turn a blind eye, but most hopefully comply.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:17 pm 
Old School Chippie

In 25 years things have changed considerably. Whilst the issues with asbestos were well known as far back as the 1930s, it was commonly used in the construction industry (and others), legally, until 1999 when a blanket ban came into force. It was common to saw and install Asbestolux fire boards up until the mid to late 1980s for example, and spray asbestos was still being installed in boiler houses, etc well in to the 1980s. Any textile mill, and many other mills, would have been powered by steam engines which required large boilers and steam pipes - all of which would have been insulated with asbestos jacketing. But other than that the main places you'd find asbestos would probably be in the fire doors (door insides, asbestos rope seals, etc), wiring (insulation, fire stopping, etc) and in cement asbestos products such as roof tiles and corrugated sheets, floor tiles, ceiling boards, boxings, pipes (waste water, etc), cladding and so on.

Overall I'd have to say that whilst asbestos removers started as long ago as the late 1980s, a lot of demolition contractors in the 1990s would have been pretty ignorant (sometimes deliberately so) of the adverse affects of breathing asbestos fibres. If, however, the site had been used for the manufacture of asbestos products (e.g. brake pads, woven insulation, etc) then the local authority would (should) be aware of potential pollution issues and would more than likely have taken steps to monitor and document the site clean-up. IMHO they should be the first port of call you make if you are doing any form of investigation - followed by going through back issues of the local paper(s) in the period around when the demolition took place. If the site was polluted the builder would need to be able to prove that a properly monitored and documented clean-up had been done, and again the local authority would be the point to start searching for that

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:47 pm 

I am not sure what your angle on this is? I can understand that if you live there, or are contemplating buying there, and have kids that it is a concern for you but take comfort that it is the dust that is mainly the issue and I would have thought that after 20 years any serious contamination would have shown itself. Okay, there might be an issue if you started digging around but even then any particles would be saturated in the soil. If you think logically the spoil from the demolition would have been carted off and access roads, drives, and turf would be covering up the original site surface. So I would think the only risk you face would be digging foundations for an extension maybe.

There is a bit of a Pandora' box here as well. I would suggest that any attention drawn to this as a problem might blight the property(s) so it is a consideration.

I knew a guy who as a kid used to play in the factory at Cape Contracts in Barking. (see https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Cape_Asbestos_Co ) They were a big manufactures of asbestos insulation products for the building trade. There was a massive chute that the sacks of asbestos were slid down and the local kids used this as a slide. They used to use the sacks as a landing pad and he used to go home covered in white dust. The poor sod died of emphysema which no doubt was a result of this contact with asbestos but he made 70. This may give you some perspective.

DWD

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:27 pm 
Newly registered Member

It is actually a place I am considering renting.

Parts of the mill were pulled down in the mid nineties, and then some new houses built and conversions done after the year 2000.

It was a woollen mill, not related to the manufacture of asbestos, but no doubt it contained some.

There are still areas including gardens, so that is where my concern lies, as well as the fact that contaminated materials could have been brought inside the house during construction.

Don't really want to live on a potentially contaminated site.

Mainly, the question was directed at people who were involved demolition, and whether strip outs of asbestos were done prior to demolition.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:01 pm 

I would look for somewhere else to rent then, you will always be fretting about it.

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:04 pm 

Near me was a large asbestos factory that closed down in the early 90's, mid 90's it was redeveloped they took 1000's of tonnes of earth away in sealed lorries, everything was cleaned before coming off the site

some less scrupulous site owners did cement slurry, pits, bury it and put a concrete cap on top, that site has now been cleared at a very high cost

tbh if there where any issues they would of dealt with by now

My granddad and dad both worked in the asbestos factory for decades with no ill heath caused by asbestos, old car mechanics are 5 times the risk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:10 pm 

Just my point of view.

Firstly I'm not in any way saying that asbestos isn't dangerous. If I knew or suspected that something was made of, or contained it, I'd take appropriate precautions.

However asbestos was everywhere at one time. Houses, schools, factories, nearly every building in fact, vehicle brakes and elsewhere. So it could still be virtually anywhere. The time to worry is when there is obviously asbestos present somewhere.

But as with so many other risks, I would try not to live my life worrying that some particular place with no direct association to asbestos might be contaminated with it.

There really isn't going to be any way to check after 20 years exactly what was done on a particular site.

So if I really was worried I'd take DWD's advice.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:49 pm 

Trev78 wrote:

Asbestos is still everywhere ... Artex pre 2000 ? asbestos (though very low level) asbestos (at least the modern stuff) is only an issue when disturbed. (Abrasion / drilling etc) don't worry; be happy

[youtubeshort] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU[/youtubeshort]

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:37 pm 
Newly registered Member

wine~o wrote:
Trev78 wrote:

Asbestos is still everywhere ... Artex pre 2000 ? asbestos (though very low level) asbestos (at least the modern stuff) is only an issue when disturbed. (Abrasion / drilling etc) don't worry; be happy

[youtubeshort] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-diB65scQU[/youtubeshort]

Yes, I guess you are right. With most houses being built on brownfield sites, or pre 2000 houses containing asbestos I guess there will always be some form of risk.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:20 pm 

Don’t eat,drill and inhale or smash up the possible small chances of materials containing asbestos in the house you plan to rent and you’ll be fine.
If you are age late 40’s and above you’ll be pan bread before it manifests itself anyway.