DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:03 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Dekton tools?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:38 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi, anyone out there ever heard of/used Dekton tools? and yes that is Dekton, not the more popular Tekton, can't seem to find any history or feedback on these cheap but good looking tool's, I would be very interested in any comment's/feedback you have to offer,

Thank's, Tony.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Dekton tools?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:13 am 

I've seen them about. Look similar to Rolson/Blakspur etc, in fact aside from colour some of the tools are identical even down to the packaging. I have bought a couple of bits and for the money they were ok, perfect for a one off job/backup.

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : TPT.50
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:55 pm 

never heard of dekton or tekton.... but then again im trade so i deal with top end stuff. so do the majority of the lads i know

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:14 am 
Newly registered Member

I'm also trade (45 years) but Dekton were a name I heard mentioned by a fellow trader for possible "single use only" while on site, ie tape measures etc, I don't know about you but I can't afford to keep replacing my best gear just because some thieving little runt takes a shine to my possesions.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:23 am 

at first it felt like one of those chinese copies, but it turned out to be a well established uk brand

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:51 pm 
Old School Chippie

DmitriKara wrote:
at first it felt like one of those chinese copies, but it turned out to be a well established uk brand

No, you were right first time - it IS a firm selling cheap Chinese copies......

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : DmitriKara
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:27 am 
Newly registered Member

Job & Knock, yes but my original question was are they any good as "one use" throwaway jobbies? as I am sick of so called pro's on the job who can't keep their thieving hand's too themselves too the point where I only use the majority of my good gear on private jobs?

Tony.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:31 pm 

Job and Knock wrote:
DmitriKara wrote:

No, you were right first time - it IS a firm selling cheap Chinese copies......

I've never understood how could people fall for the same trick over and over again.. It's the same with clothing, although power tools are Waaay more dangerous... Risky chinese products are definitely not my cup of tea.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:55 am 
Newly registered Member

I agree, but we're only talking tape measures, craft knives, screw boxes etc, the small stuff that usually "goes walkies" on site, tool snobbery doesn't come into it when they fancy your gear they think might come in handy that you've only left for a minute or two, and why does it seem accepted when your gear goes missing, all I hear is "its your own fault for leaving it unattended"? they should have their fingers chopped off, THEFT IS THEFT, if you steal other peoples property YOUR A THIEF.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:16 am 

TPT.50 wrote:
.......................why does it seem accepted when your gear goes missing, all I hear is "its your own fault for leaving it unattended"? they should have their fingers chopped off, THEFT IS THEFT, if you steal other peoples property YOUR A THIEF.

I wouldn't stop at their fingers!

But it is your fault to some extent, you know they exist, don't give them the opportunity and you'll still have your tools.

In 50 years a chippie:

Stolen: all my Jennings pattern Ridgeway auger bits from 1/4 to 1/2 in 1/16ths (he left the larger sizes) - I know who it was, couldn't prove it, my fault, I even showed him where I stashed my tools at night, (I was young, I learnt from that and never again left my tool on-site).

Stolen: My expensive Stabila level, mistakenly left behind a door one holiday weekend, (my fault), I know who it was but couldn't prove it, stolen by the labourer who was sacked that Friday - he came back and nicked only builders stuff - all of the house-owners stuff was untouched.

I've been fortunate that I've never had my van turned over, but also cautious about where I park, even turning down many jobs because of a lack of sensible parking. I've met others who are into double figures for the number of times they've had everything of value removed from their vans - to me that sounds careless rather than unlucky.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:57 am 
BANNED

I agree with the finger-chopping but reckon the best way is three times caught and you are hung. Once for paedophiles, twice for assault, burglary etc, three times for light theft. We won't need jails or screws (many are bent). The chopping and hanging should be in public and their organs donated to science.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:06 pm 

ayjay wrote:
TPT.50 wrote:
.......................why does it seem accepted when your gear goes missing, all I hear is "its your own fault for leaving it unattended"? they should have their fingers chopped off, THEFT IS THEFT, if you steal other peoples property YOUR A THIEF.

- I know who it was, couldn't prove it, my fault, -

And that's nearly always the problem. You know exactly who it is, but there's no chance of proving it. ::b

And even if you could, what then? These days it'd be you who was in the wrong if you did anything in retribution, but of course the police wouldn't do anything about the theft either. No win as usual.

"They" will nick stuff whether it's cheap or not given the opportunity. If I had to work on site now, I think I'd go down the route of roughly spraying anything likely to likely to get lifted with a bright fluorescent colour. Make it less shiny for the magpies.

As a complete aside, a bit of a mystery. I had some good friends who were on holiday down here in my workshop showing them what I was working on. Afterwards a small home-made gauge had disappeared off the bench. Nothing really, of no value except a few minutes to make. Did they take it? I'll never know, but if they did. Why?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:07 pm 

jape wrote:
I agree with the finger-chopping but reckon the best way is three times caught and you are hung. Once for paedophiles, twice for assault, burglary etc, three times for light theft. We won't need jails or screws (many are bent). The chopping and hanging should be in public and their organs donated to science.

There'd be no begger left in some places. . . ! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:44 pm 

jape wrote:
We won't need jails or screws (many are bent).

Are they? What experience do you have of jails?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:15 pm 

Argyll wrote:
jape wrote:
We won't need jails or screws (many are bent).

Are they? What experience do you have of jails?

It's not the tooth fairy that brings in all the drugs,mobile phones etc is it?
The ITV program on wermwood scrubs interviewed loads of cons who said it was 500 quid a package the screws charged,and there was loads of them willing to take gear in.
Inmates openly smoking dope on camera that the screws turned a blind eye to. The list goes on.

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received gratitude : jape