DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:08 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:46 pm 

First off this is a debate, not a technical question regarding how to wire them etc. (That's why I posted here)

I will begin.

I was sceptical about having wifi controlled lamps switches etc, but now I have got a couple, I think they are brilliant. I have also interfaced mine with an Amazon echo dot, so I really can say "Alexa turn on..........." But not only can I do that, I have (only) 2 RGB+W lights so I can choose a colour (you can't do that with an ordinary dimmer) I can also (I am still testing it) having one house light dim itself at a night, then come on slowly in the morning. My ultimate goal is to have more switches and have the house lights change at random when I am on holiday.

Also I find it novel to ask "Alexa" something I just wonder, for example watching a film, will smith is in it, "Alexa, when was will Smith born?" (Alexa said 1968)

I am also looking at getting some switches for some existing lights (Considerably cheaper that way) that are compatible with what I have.

Yes I know that if I loose broadband none of this new fangled stuff will work via the echo dot (don't think it will) but the more I look at it the more I like it, but I not having a wifi room stat.

So, what do you all think, good bad or other? (I know wine~O doesn't like it, but, if I may wine~O, why don't you like it?)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:52 pm 

Me I'm a bit of a luddite... I can see that for some people who want to have everything automated that there is an attraction... however when things go wrong (as they do ) it's an expensive thing to put right.

Say "Alexa" decides to have a hissy fit or "Alexa" gets hacked... you now have no control of your lights/heating whatever.

A standard 2 way 2 gang light switch can be had for a few quid ... what was the price of that switch in the recent thread ? How often do you need to replace a standard switch ? How long do you think the all-singing-and-dancing wi-fi enabled switch will last ?

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:09 pm 

I agree with wine~o. All this "automated" kit is all well and good until it goes wrong.
Then it's expensive.
I don't really see the benefit in a normal house either. I can get up and switch the lights on or off, and I can turn the heating up, or on and off the same way. very little effort needed.
It very rarely gets cold enough to worry about monitoring heating from elsewhere in this country. Most systems already have a timer.
Big houses with a lot of rooms, I can see some point in having the heating and lighting centrally controlled in some way.
Most people don't live in houses like that though.
Have it if you like gadgets, but ti's not for me personally.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:15 pm 

If you want Alexa controlling your lighting, then you're gonna need something like the Phillips Hue range. Here's a link to the starter kit for it. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-Ambience-Wireless-Lighting-Starter/dp/B0748MY3RX/ref=dp_ob_title_light

For this message the author joinerjohn has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:18 pm 

I do love a bit of tech, up to date phones, nas drive networked throughout house for access from multiple devices, fire stick, smart tv's but for me wireless lighting is just a step too far. I can get up and switch on a light, heating is on a wireless stat but sits in the same place for 99% of the time.

I can see the point of it but just feel it's unnecessary. It's like tech for the sake of it, there's no real need for it. A bit like the huge push for 3d tv just so they can sell more tv's. It's almost like they are trying to create a market to sell products.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:22 pm 

Thanks guys, any more opinions?

For what its worth, I already have the Phillips hue (But damned if I will buy one of their RGB+W lights, way too much) and heating, no, I don't want to control it remotely.

In theory (I haven't yet got one) the switches should last.............for ever, since I don't press them.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:26 pm 

A mate is currently re-wiring his house (completely gutted at one stage) Here's his set up so far. Almost everything will be able to be controlled by apps and voice (lighting, heating, sound, video and even his curtains/blinds)

Attachments:
20171008_133513 (1).jpg
20171008_133513 (1).jpg [ 137.25 KiB | Viewed 330 times ]
20171008_133439.jpg
20171008_133439.jpg [ 207.58 KiB | Viewed 330 times ]

For this message the author joinerjohn has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:28 pm 

I'm with wine~o: I don't like it and see no need for it.

I worked on a posh gaff down in Lilliput some years back. It was a new-build, 4 bedroom iirc.

By the time the sparks had finished there were 12 consumer units in the garage - (the extras on the electric install came to over £50k). :shock:

When it was all finished, there were speakers in every room which could be controlled from any other room -WHY?!!

Every radiator could also be controlled individually electronically.

The toilet pan was over £3k ffs - I bet it still gets skid marks on a bad day.

The guy had no taste at all, there were elaborate plaster cornices in every room - different in every room - individually they looked OK, but walking round the house as whole they looked a mess.

Sorry, gone off on one a bit there. :lol: (but there was loads more).

For this message the author ayjay has received thanks - 3: Gadget, Ktuludays, multiman
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:35 am 

I quite like all the technology stuff, but I do draw the line at anything that involves running loads of cables or installing panels around the house, in walls or under floors, etc. New technology becomes obsolete so quickly that, if you can't easily unplug it and bin it after a couple of years, I think it's best avoided.

For example, I've worked in plenty of posh houses where the owners had cat5 cabling and ethernet sockets installed in every room in the building, including outhouses, leading back to fancy "server room" style patch panels, in the 1990s at great expense. Now that we have decent wifi routers and repeaters than can easily achieve 300Mbps+ all that stuff looks pretty archaic and pointless.

A Nest thermostat is about my limit for hardwired tech in the house... if they go bust in 5 years time and I lose all of the lovely internet-connected functionality, it's not too much drama to rip it out and put something else in.

For this message the author chrrris has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:54 pm 

I quite like joinerjohns' mate's house set up

Attachment:
jj1.jpg
jj1.jpg [ 255.18 KiB | Viewed 423 times ]

I often see things like this, it starts off small and neat and ends up as above.

Some houses I have been in don't have on/off light switches, but a small panel with 4/6 horizontal buttons (I still always press the wrong one) and you think its a nice idea / way of operating the lights (small unobtrusive switches) what you don't see (I have) is all the control gear for them that often takes up 1 wall of a small room.

At least you don't get that with these new fangled lights I have

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:20 pm 

Once my mate's server unit, is up and running (some of it already is working) it will be able to control each individual radiator, temperature wise and the underfloor heating in his kitchen (wet heating buried in the screed under the floor) Fantastic piece of kit. His son (also an electrician) has designed and put it all together. Left his old man to do the house wiring, but connecting it all up has been his domain. Around the ceiling there's hidden led lighting (multi coloured) so individual rooms can be mood lit, or can look like a disco if wanted. In his kitchen there's a Velux skylight which can be opened electrically via his iPhone too. Server unit is housed under the stairs, out of the way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:13 am 

I was playing with x10 10-15 years ago, its now more main stream and doesn't need a team of 6 bods to install it,

only remote lighting I have is in my bed room as it takes an age the get comfortable and the last thing I want to do is get up to turn the lights on/off

Now my background is in IT and electronics so I do have network devices, camera systems and the usual smart/streaming devices

Not a lot has changed in the last year apart from some new hdd's and the cable management not being managed

Whats going on with the pictures uploaded in the correct orientation but it posts 90º out :?

Attachments:
IMG_1298.JPG
IMG_1298.JPG [ 83.93 KiB | Viewed 369 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:12 am 
UHM Super Moderator

It's because the image isn't actually rotated, but there's a rotation instruction in the EXIF put there by the camera.
The forum software, and some viewers, don't read the rotation instruction.
I've rotated it for you.

For this message the author moderator7 has received gratitude : Bob225
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:24 pm 

Thanks mod7, makes sence ah the wonders of technology

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:26 pm 

moderator7 wrote:
It's because the image isn't actually rotated, but there's a rotation instruction in the EXIF put there by the camera.
The forum software, and some viewers, don't read the rotation instruction.
I've rotated it for you.

Be an absolute hero and rotate my images please Mod7. :wink: