DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:37 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:30 pm 

A terraced house I'm looking at buying has a damp party wall in the back kitchen. The cause has yet to be established, it may be trivial, but there is at least the possibility for it to be damp rising up through the party wall itself.

If that were the case, I'd seek agreement with the neighbours to get it sorted; they may even share the cost if it affects their side. However, if they instead turned out to be awkward sods, would there be any method of tanking considered too minor to need party wall notices being given?

Thanks
Kev

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:15 pm 

I guess you could tank it and then fit foil backed plasterboard......

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:40 pm 

Yeah, thats the kind of thing I was wondering.

I'd heard stories that liquid-style membranes could possibly be dodgy, in case containing the moisture in the wall caused it to spread more into next door (my actions could then be viewed as having damaged their property). As there is currently a millennium's worth of peeling gloss paint over the brick wall I doubt that would really make much difference, but I could have difficulty if accusations arose.

Though possibly a plastic tanking membrane with those bobbles that leave a small air gap would not risk doing this. If the mechanical fixings were considered trivial anyway...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:45 pm 

The vendor has to acknowledge this before sale and reduce the price in accordance with any work.
The mortgage company will almost certainly want it sorted before any contracts are signed anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:57 pm 

Yes, in some scenarios. But in this case it is an auction sale (and probably not mortgageable due to the state it is in), and the buyers will decide what to bid.

Whilst I can budget for the work itself, I have less control over the neighbours. It is such a low budget place that legal/surveyor costs would quickly become disproportionate if they insisted on going that way. So if there is any technical method that would just not invoke party wall issues then it could be invaluable.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:18 pm 

Kev888 wrote:
Yes, in some scenarios. But in this case it is an auction sale (and probably not mortgageable due to the state it is in), and the buyers will decide what to bid.

Whilst I can budget for the work itself, I have less control over the neighbours. It is such a low budget place that legal/surveyor costs would quickly become disproportionate if they insisted on going that way. So if there is any technical method that would just not invoke party wall issues then it could be invaluable.

Only thing I can think of is building a 3x2 partition and plasterboard in front of the party wall affected ensuring it's not touching it in any way.

For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received gratitude : Kev888
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:09 pm 

Thanks, yes I guess that would probably work, perhaps with a bit of ventilation somehow. The kitchen is a bit narrow but I've seen worse so it could probably lose a few inches if it were necessary.

I don't like thinking in this way, much prefer to solve rather than cover up the issue. But if all goes pear-shaped then it is good to have a backup plan

Thanks again
Kev

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:40 pm 

Its ok to drill and plug into a party wall, so you could fix oldroyd damp barrier.

Or a cheap solution would be to stick some thin celetex over the whole wall, foil tape all joints.

Then fix 2 x1 battens laid flat screwed on. Then fix foil backed plasterboard with bottom edge foil taped and kept 35mm off floor

Or build separated stud wall as suggested so no penetration of wall and no risk of damp getting thtough screw holes.

For this message the author Notch1 has received gratitude : Kev888
PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:23 pm 

Yeah, I'm happy about small fixings, it was containing the damp (potentially causing more effect for the neighbours) that concerned me. However a barrier like oldroyd P which doesn't completely seal the wall but has air gaps for breathing and drainage may not do that? If so it would seem like a pretty good answer (if addressing the source of the problem isn't possible).

If i win the house I will sound the neighbours out. If things aren't promising I could probably do this without troubling them, if they are then we'll sort it properly, even if I have to pay for it all. Its not a big wall, its just the legal/party-wall costs which could grow crippling (for such a modest situation) in the wrong circumstances.

The PIR and partition walls are also possible options that could be used if needed; the latter seems pretty bomb-proof if doubts persist. Thanks to you both for the suggestions; I'm much happier having seen your opinions. Whatever happens it seems like something could be done.

Cheers
Kev

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:12 am 

Best of luck in your auction. Some very useful information learned here.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:35 am 

Thanks! We shall see what happens. TBH I'm a bit suspicious that the house could go for more than it is worth; there were some (IMO) quite naive people sounding extremely keen at the last viewing, who clearly had no idea of what it would cost to put right.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:55 pm 

what happened at the auction.
you dont do anything until you know whats the cauuse of the dmp condition.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:29 am 

The auction was frustrating, unfortunately; the house went for a deeply unrealistic price, so I didn't win it. I can only think that someone either didn't view it, or else intends to do a completely inadequate job and bung some desperate tenants in it.

Still, it shows the benefit of not spending too much on these things until its in the bag. Though that creates an element of the unknown, so the 'if all else fails' plan was very reassuring to have. Thanks for people's help.