DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:55 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: CyberScrub.
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:58 am 

Hi,

Deleting or erasing files/data doesn't actually remove them from my computer; years ago I subscribed to CyberScrub;

[url]http://www.cyberscrub.com/cyberscrub-privacy-suite/[url]

Any suggestions please as to other methods of permanently cleaning my computer HDD? :scratch:

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: CyberScrub.
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:08 pm 

If you want to reuse the hdd, then. https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-wipe-a- ... ve-2624527

If you wish to dispose of the hdd and not reuse it, then take a lump hammer to it for about five minutes.

Colin

For this message the author camallison has received thanks - 2: BrettGH, Retired
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:13 pm 

PS - DBAN is my personal favourite.

Colin

For this message the author camallison has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 12:47 pm 

CCleaner seems to do a pretty good clean up, and has the option of secure wipe of deleted stuff in the options.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:09 pm 
BANNED

camallison wrote:
If you want to reuse the hdd, then. https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-wipe-a-hard-drive-2624527

If you wish to dispose of the hdd and not reuse it, then take a lump hammer to it for about five minutes.

Colin
:thumbright:

Wipe vs Shred vs Delete vs Erase: What's the Difference?
Wiping, Shredding, Deleting, and Erasing Files are Actually Different Things

https://www.lifewire.com/wipe-vs-shred-vs-delete-vs-erase-whats-the-difference-2619146

:thumbright:

For this message the author BrettGH has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 5:27 pm 

Hi,

Many thanks guys for your replies and for the links. :salute:

The CyberScrub I've previously used didn't interfere with data or files held on my HDD but it did ensure any file etc I deleted was actually completely deleted from my computer; sorry if I've confused but I don't want to completely delete or dispose of my HDD I just want to keep it clean of unwanted history. To quote CyberScrub;

Protect Your Internet Privacy

Few realize every picture, video clip, chat room conversation and website address is written to your hard drive. Privacy Suite software protects you by removing all evidence of your online Internet history and activity.

“Deleted” Files Remain on Your Computer

Deleted files are easily recovered using simple software tools. Sensitive data, such as passwords, financials or health records, even that “about last night” email are at risk. Don’t allow discovery by a snoop, computer technician or unauthorized persons.

Privacy Suite software allows you to erase data using wipe methods that exceed standards set by the United States Department of Defense for secure file erasure (DoD 5220.22).

I just want to be certain that when I do delete something it is fully deleted and not sitting in the background on my computer?

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 6:20 pm 

But your ISP will still know where you have been.
I would opt for CC cleaner, its free and clears out a lot of junk you didn't know you have.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:04 pm 

someone-else wrote:
But your ISP will still know where you have been.

I'm sure that was a joke??

I can safely say that Colin is the last person that would ever need to worry about his browsing history showing anything untoward :wink:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

For this message the author Razor has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 9:33 am 

Hi,

Thanks s-e & Razor. :thumbleft:

I can't hide from my ISP so this isn't a worry at all for me as you kindly say Razor. I take my online security seriously and years ago whilst looking at online security options I came across CyberScrub which I found quite frightening. At that time I was under the impression if I deleted anything or emptied my recycle bin that would be the end of it and the information was gone for good but it doesn't work like this at all. The information is no longer generally available but it still remains in the background on my computer.

I was alarmed to learn this but to make matters worse apparently this unwanted information is still being used by my computer; I'm no computer whiz kid but I was browsing a website and this website was explaining how data is used on a computer; in simple terms it's broken down into strings each string having the same length; this is OK if the particular bit of data stretches to a full string but if not the string is then completed with some of the old data so this old data is in fact not only still on my computer but is very active in the background. All this deleted data is fully accessible to those with more computer knowledge than I possess; sorry to you who are light years ahead of me but as I say my explanation is about as basic as it can get.

When I delete something I want to know its fully deleted from my computer and can no longer be accessed by any means; I've not got anything top secret to hide but I do have an uneasy feeling that I'm being let down because delete to me means gone for good when it actual fact its merely hidden?

Attachment:
Incognito.JPG
Incognito.JPG [ 68.6 KiB | Viewed 398 times ]

I can hide to a great extent by using the "Incognito Window" shown above but I'm very aware I'm not invisible. I'm also aware that nothing is entirely free so all the "free" sites really aren't free at all as an example I like using Emachineshop CAD which is a free download and one I trust but I know this isn't totally free because Emachineshop are after my business and I presume they can also see what I'm drawing? Beware a gift horse?

Old emails with personal information; companies I've visited and bought goods from online are just a couple of examples; strange isn't it how I can buy electrical items and then these items pop up as unwanted advertisements?

I've successfully used CyberScrub but am curious as to whether there are similar but cheaper alternatives; CyberScrub doesn't interfere in any way whatsoever with the normal running of my computer but it does clear out all the old unwanted data which can't be a bad thing.

I joined Face-book about a year ago but I'm unimpressed by not only the layout of the website but the content in general; I added a few friends but have now since deleted the friends because I don't want to have a message pop up saying a friend has just posted only to find when I open Face-book my friend has had toast for breakfast? All this kind of stuff is floating around in the background on my computer which in its simplest terms must be causing my computer to run slower?

Time I got off my backside; I've a nice workshop full of toys to visit for a bit of quality time. :huray:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 11:57 am 
Site Admin

I used to use a program called Eraser, it was a free download and once installed if you right clicked on a file you had the option to delete it as you would normally or you could erase it.

If you Erased it the file would be overwritten several times to prevent it from ever being recovered-

https://eraser.heidi.ie/

For this message the author ultimatehandyman has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:24 pm 

Retired wrote:
............I joined Face-book about a year ago but I'm unimpressed by not only the layout of the website but the content in general; I added a few friends but have now since deleted the friends because I don't want to have a message pop up saying a friend has just posted only to find when I open Face-book my friend has had toast for breakfast?

That is so annoying.
I have learnt to look at the "preview" bit so I can see who has posted, and roughly what they have posted, so I can not look at that bit.

I do find that "groups" on facebook to be very useful.

I once had to mention to a person I know that it would be better for them to start a group, because everyone could see what the family / relatives were posting when we only needed to know up coming events.
The person has since started a group, and all is now well, we don't see what the family are doing.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:05 pm 

Retired wrote:
Hi,

At that time I was under the impression if I deleted anything or emptied my recycle bin that would be the end of it and the information was gone for good but it doesn't work like this at all. The information is no longer generally available but it still remains in the background on my computer.

That's right Colin. When you delete a file or place it in the recycle bin, the computer "forgets" the location of the file and it can be written over later when the computer needs the space. Brother in law used to work at GCHQ and he was telling me it's surprising just how much personal info is left on computers (and just as surprising , how easy it is to see these details with the right program) :wink: :wink:

For this message the author joinerjohn has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 2:58 pm 

Back before HDD's became common everyone had a gazillion floppy disks (3.5" and/or 5-1/4") and I used to buy large collections of used floppies for..... well, no good reason really :lol: but the stuff that people left on them was incredible :shock:

I know privacy has become more of an issue these days but it seems to have taken a while for this to sink in to a lot of people.

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 6:47 pm 

camallison wrote:
PS - DBAN is my personal favourite.

Colin

As I recall DBAN erases your entire hard drive but I think Colin is referring to erasing some files not his entire system.

Anyone worried about privacy laws I'd advise to subscribe to a VPN. Now I know many will say if you're not up to nothing then there's nothing to worry about. My answer to that is if that's the case it's the same as someone opening up your personal letters. You're not up to nothing but no one wants their personal info being interrogated.

For this message the author Argyll has received thanks - 2: camallison, Retired
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:23 pm 

Hi,

Thanks guys for your interesting replies. :salute:

Thanks Chez for posting the Eraser link; I'll have a good look at it; I'm always very wary when something says "Free" because in this world very little is actually free but at a quick glance it looks fine? :scratch:

Yes; bang on Argyll. :salute: All I really want is to know files I delete are fully deleted from my computer not just hidden. As a computer novice many years ago I thought "Delete" and "Empty Recycle Bin" completely cleared the items but in fact they remain on my computer just hidden from view which to me doesn't mean "delete" it should be regarded as "Hidden".

I've nothing on my computer active nor deleted which could harm me in any way; I merely want delete to mean delete; given all the trouble with online security I'm surprised operating systems like Win10 don't have a proper clean delete as standard; I only have a single page each of emails both received and sent at any one time because I'm forever deleting emails to keep my computer tidy so these also will still be hanging around in the back ground.

Please stand by for monsoons of biblical proportions; I washed the Yeti this morning then this afternoon I've polished it so as I type its gleaming. Are the birds going to use the Yeti as target practice or is my pet cloud Blackie going to drown it; Blackie is sulking because he hasn't managed to upset me sine Bron and I bought the Yeti which sleeps on our driveway. :huray:

Kind regards, Col.

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]