DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:50 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Re: CyberScrub.
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:32 pm 

Hi,

Many thanks once again for posting the Eraser link Chez; I've been looking at the details with interest and for those like me who had never previously heard about eraser I'm now happy to expand on it a bit;

Eraser looks excellent for completely deleting data from my computer and is also a free download. I fully realize Eraser won't be as comprehensive as CyberScrub; I've not downloaded Eraser because I wonder if Eraser is actually what I'm after; if I understand Eraser correctly each file which needs deleting has to be added to Eraser with a blanket erase on the Recycle Bin? I admit I'm very new to Eraser so before committing to downloading the program I'm being very careful and doing a bit of research hence I found the YouTube video shown above.

CyberScrub works quite differently to Eraser in that CyberScrub once set to work searches for and clears out masses of old files and data but also goes a great deal further in deleting everything apart from the files which need keeping; for many years I used to download movies and music videos from the web so all this data was still hiding on my computer even after being deleted; the government have now clamped down hard on this activity but its just one example; "peer to peer" and torrents etc; web searches are another where online activities are stored in the background; as I've previously stated I've nothing untoward on my computer but there must be masses of old junk floating around; CyberScrub will clear all these very easily but Eraser would possibly be much more time consuming; I'm willing to be proved wrong and I'm no computer whiz kid only working on a need to know basis.

I added this thread out of curiosity and for interest to see what others use for safe deletion of unwanted data. :scratch:

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

Time zone: Europe/London