DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:05 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Curry
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:17 pm 

What's your favourite then?

My takeaway is starting to get popular with the locals and I'm starting to get a feel for what people like but wondered if this corresponds with the general consensus.

I introduced a lamb pasanda today (my own take on it) and have to blow my own trumpet over it as it's chuffin' stonkin' like man.... couldn't stuff enough down my cakehole and reckon it'll sell like hot cakes when the word gets around - which is a sort of hint towards what the locals are 'in to' but I would still like to know how their tastes compare to UK-wide (ish) tastes....

so.... what's YOUR favourite then?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Curry
PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:30 pm 

when i go to spice one i used to ask abdul to surprise me. one day he served up a special chicken tikka korahi

now i always get them :lol:

sometimes get a pathia too.

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 8:41 pm 

:dunno: Mrs. likes CTM; for me though a meat madras/ceylon. Best curry ever was a lamb shank madras.. cooked for 3 and a 1/2 hours (home made)

I think it was a james martin recipe.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 10:13 pm 

Ever had a goat curry?

I knocked one up last time I managed to get some goat meat (difficult where we live - usually have to wait until we go to the city) and they are mmmmm hmmmmmm yummy. Tried to convince the local butcher to get some in...... nah..... heathen wouldn't.

CTM is definitely popular - flies out of our shop as fast as I can make it. Getting some good reviews on other meals too with one customer claiming I make better Tandoori Chicken and Tarka Dahl that their Asian friends ever managed!!

Your recommendations are noted too fin - I'll check them out as they sound interesting :thumbright:

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:05 am 

CTM ? Took me a while but is that chicken tikka masala?
I've had a goat curry many years ago in Barbados and I seem to recall it was pleasant enough although as you say getting goat meat isn't the easiest thing to do . As to what I have when I have a takeaway or we eat at our local I've tried most things but probably tend to go back to something like a jalfrazi . My sister in law tried us out with a Thai green curry a while ago and I can't say I was impressed. I normally eat all that's put in front of me but that one I had to leave , just really not to my palate .
To be frankly honest I'm getting a bit bored with Indian and for that matter Chinese , expensive for what they are which is essentially coloured stew with a few spices chucked in and they all have a similar taste although could mean our local restaurants aren't the worlds best. Last year a friend made some Cajun foods which I really enjoyed and I have made some at home but there's nothing like that available as far as I know anywhere near us which is a pity as it's one of the few American imports I'd be happy to see more of.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:37 am 

There aren't many restaurants that I frequent any more, especially the Indian variety, as they have all moved to making their curries using the same vegetable-mush stock method. Whilst it's not entirely 'bad' as far as making curries go - if you do it correctly - I find that you can order three or four supposedly-different dishes only to find they all taste the same. Most Indian restaurants I know start off with decent chefs but soon descend into the cost-cutting mode and end up ruining their reputations.

Last time I visited one (a meal with my wife and son) we ordered three dishes - CTM, Jalfrezi and Lamb Bhuna and I swear you couldn't tell them apart in both appearance and taste! You couldn't even tell there was 'lamb' in my dish - by taste, appearance or texture! And this was at a place with a supposedly-good reputation - Masala Twist in Helensburgh. I don't usually name-names but in this case their poor quality deserves it..... :roll:

The only thing I want to get 'right' now is fresh naan...... I get supplies from a place in Edinburgh that makes them and they are, imho, one of the best you can get in a pre-packed format but I'd like to do my own but don't have enough demand to make them ad-hoc. Maybe when I open a restaurant (a pop-up one, next year??) I'll get the opportunity and demand to give it a go!

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 7:13 pm 

Unless you have a tandoor then naans are impossible to make properly IMHO.

The nearest I can get to a proper tandoor cooked naan is Morrisons chilled part cooked naan, whack the oven up full, sprinkle with water and add a sprinkle of onion seeds (AKA Kalonji or nigella seeds) IIRC they can be cooked from frozen ?

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 9:13 pm 

The naans we get are particularly suited to being dry-fried (large frying pan) when they 'bubble up'. They end up soft inside and crisp 'lumps' on the outside - not at all dry and almost as good as straight from the tandoor.

They're also packed in a nitrogen atmosphere so are 'fresh' when we get them delivered but have a good 3 months+ shelf life and that's before considering freezing any!

I saw a machine turning naans out on a TV program recently - it looked for all the world like one of those toasters you see in large hotels. A moving conveyor taking the dough under hot elements.... seemed to do a decent job though.

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:27 am 

I tend to favourite one for a few months then move on. I used to like vindaloos/madras but I always woke up around 5am needing the toilet.

I'm on to South Indian Garlic Chilli and Chasni's just now.

I looked after my cousins dogs yesterday while he went to the Scottish amateur cup final. He showed up at my door last night with a South Indian Garlic Chilli for me which I duly snaffled :thumbright:

Time zone: Europe/London