DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:57 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Cscs card for handyman
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi can anyone tell me which cscs card I need for a handyman on site. Thanks.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:05 pm 

Have you served an indentured apprenticeship in any trade? If not then it’s the labourers card you apply for. Tbh nobody up here will employ a handyman on a building site. Handymen are predominately in the private sector or in a nursing home type building,none of which require a cscs card.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:39 pm 
Old School Chippie

To get a CSCS trade card these days you need a Construction Related QCF qualification, or in other words an appropriate construction related NVQ or SVQ Level 2 or higher and you must also have passed the relevant CITB Health, Safety & Environment Test within the past two years.

I thought that there wasn't a qualification for this subject, but apparently there are - City & Guilds 4555 Handy-Man Course or City & Guilds 6219-07 Multi Skills Diploma which covers a variety of trades. Only seem to be offered by a training company called Able (which rings alarm bells in my head) and I can't find them on the C&G main website. May be worth asking the CITB if either of these is accepteble.

"I too will something make, And joy in the making" - Robert Bridges, 1844~1930

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:42 pm 
Newly registered Member

exactly right Stevie joiner 74 but we do use handy men on our maintenance side

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:07 pm 
Old School Chippie

Something to consider, then: to get a CSCS Site Operatives card (green labourers card) you need to have a sponsor (normally your employer) and to have successfully undertaken a 1 day course resulting in the award of one of the following qualifications:

QCF/SCQF Level 1 Award Health and Safety in a Construction Environment*

One day Site Safety Plus Health and Safety Awareness course

IOSH Working Safely course

although there are a few other cources that the CITB accepts (see their website). In addition you will need to sit the basic health and safety test that ordinary trades have to sit. This has become a bit more complicated as there are now "scenarios" to deal with as well as multiple choice questions.

I have worked for several firms now who employ "handymen" on site - mainly for site set-up and break-down, though, and a few sub-trades tasks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:31 pm 

Job and Knock wrote:
Something to consider, then: to get a CSCS Site Operatives card (green labourers card) you need to have a sponsor (normally your employer) and to have successfully undertaken a 1 day course resulting in the award of one of the following qualifications:

QCF/SCQF Level 1 Award Health and Safety in a Construction Environment*

One day Site Safety Plus Health and Safety Awareness course

IOSH Working Safely course

although there are a few other cources that the CITB accepts (see their website). In addition you will need to sit the basic health and safety test that ordinary trades have to sit. This has become a bit more complicated as there are now "scenarios" to deal with as well as multiple choice questions.

I have worked for several firms now who employ "handymen" on site - mainly for site set-up and break-down, though, and a few sub-trades tasks

I had to redo my safety test last year and the only bit that presents any sort of challenge and I’m using the word challenge loosely here,is the colours of the fire extinguishers and what they are used for.
If you can walk to the computer,read basic English and have an ounce of common sense then it’s a pass.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:29 pm 
Old School Chippie

Depending on when you did your test last year yo might have taken the old test. We've had guys coming back from tests this year commenting on how much harder the test has become

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:38 pm 

Job and Knock wrote:
Depending on when you did your test last year yo might have taken the old test. We've had guys coming back from tests this year commenting on how much harder the test has become

The one I did had the scenario thing in it,I did it in November and you were allowed 1 question wrong in each category except for certain core questions which were an instant fail if you got them wrong.
6 of us did the test on the same day and we all got 100%
I don’t know 1 person that’s failed it. It’s a pure money making racket that is farcical in the sense I’ve seen so many Eastern Europeans with a card that can barely speak English.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:06 pm 
Old School Chippie

steviejoiner74 wrote:
It’s a pure money making racket that is farcical in the sense I’ve seen so many Eastern Europeans with a card that can barely speak English.

That's because the CITB has taken the politically correct stance that people should be allowed to take it in their native language. My own opinion is that the ability to receive/give and understand instructions (safety and otherwise) and/or warnings in English has to be a prime requirement for anyone working in a dangerous environment such as a construction site - and that anyone incapable of doing this should be excluded for the safety of all others working there. I'm glad to say that a number of former employers and some of the HSE inspectors i have conversed with in recent years or of a similar opinion (whether officially or personally, I know not)

BTW, passing the basic CSCS test should be pretty easy for anyone working on sites who has a reasonable idea of safety, but for someone coming into our work environment that isn't necessarily the case. I therefore see the point in having some form of test/training.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:46 am 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
It’s a pure money making racket that is farcical in the sense I’ve seen so many Eastern Europeans with a card that can barely speak English.

While I agree with what J&K has said about site safety I also tend to agree with what you've just said.
When the firm I worked for put me through my first test I passed but never actually saw the card. It expired and we never resat the test so that when that firm closed and I started at another I didn't have one. At that second firm we were subbing to Corrillion and that was the only time I was asked if I had one. Very few of us did but we all said yes but we're never asked to produce them. Another redundancy later and I acquired one through the dole around five years ago . I've never looked at it let alone being asked by anyone I've subsequently worked for.
As you say a money making scheme or glorified other tax.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:55 pm 
Old School Chippie

Grendel wrote:
I've never looked at it let alone being asked by anyone I've subsequently worked for.
As you say a money making scheme or glorified other tax.

Lucky you! I've had my card checked by probably 90% of the outfits I've worked for over the last 5 years. I have to admit, though, that a lot of my work is on commercial sites run by medium to large contractors who absolutely insist on appropriate certification. Sometimes it isn't even the contractor setting the rules - it could be the landlord (e.g. Trafford Centre in Manchester) or the end client (e.g. Witherspoons, Next, etc) setting the minimum standards that they require. On that basis, I wonder how many tradesmen on here hold any form of asbestos awareness training certificate despite its' becoming a statutory requirement for employees and the self-employed working on commercial buildings constructed before year 2000 to have it (under the Control of Asbestos Regulations (2012))? Yes, another "piece of paper"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:28 pm 

I’ve done my asbestos awareness. When I subbed to the council it was mandatory.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:00 pm 

I love my cscs, it comes out every year ................to scrape ice off the windscreen.

Never been asked for it, and I have a SPA card, never been asked for that either. I think I have a Tesco club card too :lol:

And I have done my Petrol station fore court training. no, not "fill 'er up mate" But learning about the tank farm and vapour and other stuff I have forgotten

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:13 am 

Job and Knock wrote:
Grendel wrote:
I've never looked at it let alone being asked by anyone I've subsequently worked for.

Lucky you! I've had my card checked by probably 90% of the outfits I've worked for over the last 5 years.

Probably debatable that I'm the lucky one , it could be argued that I've come across more sites that were less rigorous in their approach to health and safety. Indeed on that Corillion job I mentioned they were more concerned that while most had hi-vis jacket and trousers we only had jackets and didn't match everyone else . They did fuss about that and we were issued the trousers but they didn't chace up the CSCS cards or for that matter the couple of 240v tools I had with me.
Done the asbestos training , last time was about five years ago or so.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:59 pm 
Old School Chippie

Were you aware that the Asbestos Awareness has to be redone every 12 months, now?

For this message the author Job and Knock has received gratitude : Grendel