DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:16 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all

The old corded B&D drill my father-in-law generously donated has now given up the ghost, so we're after a decent cordless drill.

I've had rotten luck with the really cheap cordless drills, which fail in a whole number of ways, and they're starting to look like false economies. I'm not sure how much to invest to get something that will last, so I'd appreciate any advice on a suitable price spot or brand (ideally, specific drill!) that I should consider.

In terms of use, I would use the drill infrequently but quite intensely - maybe a day a month where I really get into the DIY. We have plans at building a shed and wood store so I am anticipating more use than the occasional putting up of shelves, and I need to fit a few showers so will drilling tiles at some point. I would also be looking to build the system up, with a driver (unless I get a drill that can act as a driver?), saw and perhaps a sander etc to follow, so some forward compatibility would be good for batteries etc - I've heard brands like erbauer suffer from battery fit changes every few years which puts me off.

I was looking at spending around £100, would I need to up this or are there good options at that price point? I have a bias towards buying UK-designed or UK-made, but not sure that will be possible.

All advice gratefully received!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:54 pm 

hitachi-dv18dgl-jc-18v-combi-drill-t76050.html

Worth every penny.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : mattie_uk
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ta mate - looks good, especially with a spare battery, and spot-on the budget!

I note that screwfix sell a similar drill as part of a drill and driver set, is it worth getting a separate driver or would the combi be OK for common-or-garden driving work? (Perhaps better to phrase the question 'is a separate driver actually worth it for weekend hackers?')

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 4:52 pm 

mattie_uk wrote:
(Perhaps better to phrase the question 'is a separate driver actually worth it for weekend hackers?')

Probably not. Though I am considering buying another one for where I need pilot holes for the screws...just because it's such a faff changing repeatedly from a drill bit to a driver bit..

I should say that for screw driving select low speed and you'll have all the control you need, for drilling, the higher speed can be useful.

At some point Big-All will be along recommending the Ryobi one-plus range of tools...

All I'm saying is that I bought this to replace failing Ryobi kit.. :wink:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:45 pm 
Newly registered Member

Went with the hitachi, and picked up a cheap set of erbauer tile drillbits - no excuse for not doing the shower now!

Cheers for advice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:56 pm 
Newly registered Member

..job done, worked like a charm.

(well, no leaks just yet, at any rate)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:34 pm 
Pro Carpenter

wine~o wrote:
mattie_uk wrote:
(Perhaps better to phrase the question 'is a separate driver actually worth it for weekend hackers?')

Probably not. Though I am considering buying another one for where I need pilot holes for the screws...just because it's such a faff changing repeatedly from a drill bit to a driver bit..

I should say that for screw driving select low speed and you'll have all the control you need, for drilling, the higher speed can be useful.

At some point Big-All will be along recommending the Ryobi one-plus range of tools...

All I'm saying is that I bought this to replace failing Ryobi kit.. :wink:

i still sing the praises off ryobi when a multiple tool set up is likely
with the present glut off cheap lion tools from most manufactures to try and get maximum market share ryobi individuals are not the best choice whilst these subsidized tools are available :lol: :lol: