Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:43 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:18 pm 
Newly registered Member

I am looking for a way to control lighting at the front of the house, I currently have 3 separate lights, a led floodlight, lights outside the front door and a porch light. these are independantly switched at a 3 gang light switch in the hallway.

What I would like is to install a PIR that turns on the lights in suquence, the floodlight, followed by the door and then the porch with a slight delay in switching them each one. I would also like to maintain the independant switch.

I have a 3 core and earth cable outside the wall where the pir will go, the other side is not connected to anything at the moment, however its in close vicinity to the 3 wago junction boxes that control the lights, i have also ran a 3 core and earth to the light switch that is also spare.

I suppose what my query is about is to find out if this is doable with the existing wiring setup, and if so will i need purchase a lighting controller like the one below.

http://cpc.farnell.com/gjd/gjd910/dygiz ... controller

thanks in advance

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:43 pm 

I don't think that programmer will do what you want it to

will the pir that you have handle the rating of the 3 circuits ? time delay it fairly easy to do

edit. Just had a look at your link, that is just the controller you also need the matching expansion unit and the PIR to match (12v)

http://www.gjd.co.uk/products/security-lighting

Last edited by Bob225 on Mon May 28, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:58 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for getting back to me,

I have not purchased a PIR as yet but am considering a Stienel model (only because the cheap ones I have used before don't tend to last)
the load will be LED so I am hoping most PIRs will be able to handle that.

The only reason I started looking at controllers is because I am not sure how I would wire all 3 lights up to operate with a delay?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:01 pm 

naziern, it seems to me you misunderstand what the item you linked to does / how it works.

As said, it is a controller / switcher. It must have specific PIR's. The PIR tells the controller that it detects movement, it does NOT directly switch the lights, the controller does that.

The controller has 4 zones.

The ideal use for it is as follows.

A building has 4 walls, on each wall is a light and a PIR.
A person walks toward the building then around the building.
As the person outside walks round, so the light for that side of the building comes on.

A person inside the building is made aware of a person walking round outside because each time a PIR trips It is indicated on the panel. (It beeps too)

In order to do as you want, you would need to have 3 PIRs, one to operate each zone.
Each PIR will need its own 4 core (alarm) cable.
You will also need to have a mains supply for the controller. (Most switches only have Live and switched live, no Neutral)

In short, that controller will not do as you want unless you make quite a few alterations, and in my opinion, I don't see the point / benefit of what you are trying to do. Even if it could work (which it can't) unless you have a very long drive, the person would have walked from your boundary to the front door in just a few seconds.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link to find out more.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:53 pm 
Newly registered Member

As I have said earlier I am unsure if I need a controller for this particular application. Thank you for your detailed description of how this particular model works as I was under the impression that each zone was just the light itself that was controlled by one PIR.

I am currently researching what I need to need to make this work and by the sounds of the sales blurb seemed to suggest it may do what I want. obviously this is not the case.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:28 pm 

from the manual

Mode 5 - ALL = All lights on all zones that have Mode 5 selected are activated at night with detection from any zone with Mode 5 selected. Any zones with ALL selected will be treated as a group.

But even so, I cant see a way to set a time delay

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:20 pm 

naziern wrote:
I am currently researching what I need to need to make this work

What you want can be done, but it is not as easy as you would hope. (Things never are)

I will guess there is another way, but I would use a PLC (Mitsubishi) controller (Since I have programmed a few) You may even be able to use a PIC micro-controller or even use Raspberry pi

No, not the above, that's a raspberry PIE

I am NOT familiar with PIC or PI, but either way you will need to do some wiring alterations (to power the device) But I still have to ask the question, Why?

Seriously, why? (I am asking because you are there and can see what is what, I can not see anything at all) and I do not see the point of going to such expense that will be of no use to anyone leaving the house. Since the lights will not come on until they are at your perimeter in which case the lights will come on in the wrong order, you would need another PIR to start the sequence in reverse.

Working on anything electrical? have you got a multi meter? why not? Would you hit a nail with a shoe?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:25 pm 
Newly registered Member

Just sounded like a good idea!! obviously not and sounds like its more trouble than its worth.

I m now considering a more conventional approach, forego the PIR and operate the floodlight with a built in PIR, I'll just have to leave the switch on for it to work, however wuld it be possible to rewire at the junction box to make the switch stay on indefinitely?

As for the main door and porch, probably just operate them from the switch as and when needed.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:14 am 

naziern wrote:
however wuld it be possible to rewire at the junction box to make the switch stay on indefinitely?

Again, more effort to be put in than you will ever get out. Why not just leave the switch on? Some, (Not all) PIR / Flood lights, will keep the light on all the time if you switch the supply off and on again within something like 5 seconds. You can't do that if you have no working switch.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:19 am 
Newly registered Member

What I meant to say was to use the switch to override the floodlight PIR, I know some units do offer this feature, just wasnt sure if i would need to change the wiring to support this, at the moment there is no neutral at the switch.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:08 pm 

You can do it simply with 1 PIR if it has override function or parallel the switch across the PIR (live in, live out on the pir), you will only need to put a delay on 2 of the lights a simple din rail timer will do the trick

eg.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-gene ... dule/8256p

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:33 pm 

Bob225 wrote:
You can do it simply with 1 PIR if it has override function or parallel the switch across the PIR (live in, live out on the pir), you will only need to put a delay on 2 of the lights a simple din rail timer will do the trick

eg.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-gene ... dule/8256p

Just asking:

Where will the neutral come from?
Not to mention he will need two timers, one for each light, otherwise the individual light switches will not work.
He will have to buy a box to mount the timers.
Carry out some re wiring to accommodate all the above.

Have you tried connecting anything to a PIR / flood light, let alone trying to connect an "over ride" to it.

I am just trying to be practical about it.