DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat May 26, 2018 12:49 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:52 pm 

Regardless of the electrician saying the new distribution board should be 1450mm high, for disabled access, for several reasons he accepted that this wasn't possible. So it has to go inside a kitchen wall cubboard, to which he says the back must be removed so it can be mounted on a non-combustible surface (the wall behind).

Albeit at a different property, had the electricity board in today to install a smart meter - the existing meter is on a peice of chipboard spaced off the wall & with rounded corners, you all know the thing. It apparently cannot be touched without risking an £800 fine, and is above the back door in a lobby, about two metres up.

Anyway, we need an Isolator mounted alongside on the wall, as the rewire is between first & second fix. Guy says, no, it has to be on a piece of wood, go find a piece (which I did), I can't do it for you. THEN HE PUT A BIG BLUE & YELLOW STICKER ON IT:

"Do not store combustible materials near this equipment"! Even he said, this is daft, it's mounted a a piece of wood.

Next, he applied a large yellow label "This installation has wiring to different colours" - it doesn't, it's a total rewire in harmonised cable, there is not a shred of old stuff left in the building.

Now, there is not enough (non-combustible) wall space alongside (the chipboard panel that cannot be touched), to mount a DB. It can't go above (ceiling) and can't go below (door).

Finally, having installed brand new tails off a massive reel in brown and blue from the board fuse to the new meter, from the meter to the new isolator (with pretty coloured collars) he applied printed sticky tape to label the brown cables 'L' and the blue cables 'N'. And then took pictures to evidence that he'd done it.

The world has definitely gone a bit mad, hasn't it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:04 pm 
Approved Electrician

arco_iris wrote:
The world has definitely gone a bit mad, hasn't it.

Yes.

For this message the author OnlyMe has received gratitude : arco_iris
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:20 pm 

OnlyMe wrote:
Yes.

An incumbent professional speaks. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:22 pm 
Pro Carpenter

i thought most off the "disabled" requirements where advisory for domestic :dunno:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:36 pm 

By advisory you mean suggested, not critical & law.

My argument on this has been that it is updating existing, not a new compliant installation. Even so the regs. are contradictory, are they not? Or are they open to interpretation?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:31 am 

Bottom line - who gives a fcuk?

If the installation works then who, precisely, is going to raise a complaint against the work that is/has been done? The customer? Who else is there? And WTF has it to do with them?

The system - not just regulations, but many other facts of life - have been so distorted by everyone-with-an-axe-to-grind that it's starting to collapse. Fortunately I own my own home outright and am happy to do what I want, when I want, to my own 'standard' and screw anyone who has a point to pick about it.

But you know there's someone, somewhere, just itching to make money out of you for the fact :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:10 am 

That's the IET for ya. Sack of twunts.

Metal consumer units are conductive... that's dangerous... everyone must have a plastic one.

sniff sniff... can I smell burning? ARRRGGHHH

Plastic consumer units are flammable... that's dangerous... everyone must have a metal one. ::b