DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:18 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Contracting for work
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:14 pm 

Quote:
I'm always early for everything. Parents drummed into me from a young age not be late, even to the point of I sometimes find myself sat a few streets away because 20 mins early and don't want to go in to early or be seen outside !

Yes, I do that too... just don't knock on the door early (they could be getting dressed, or sitting on the khazi!).

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Tom d'Angler has received gratitude : Nicharrison24
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:18 pm 

... and, never be tempted to get into a bidding war. Some customers will say "Another bloke has quoted £xxx, if you can match that the job is yours." I never do. I just reply "Sorry, that's not something I do. I know you wouldn't want me to cut corners in order to do it for that price."

For this message the author Tom d'Angler has received gratitude : Nicharrison24
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:24 pm 
Newly registered Member

Ha yeah imagine that !! Wouldn't go down well

Thanks Ian that links great. Will bear that in mind for future pricing if I get to quote on new builds. At least it will look like I'm not out of my depth ! I'm fine doing the work it's my pricing that usually lets me down. (Usually too cheap). A few months back I asked for help quoting on here and after all the replies I created a quote and worked it out nearly £300 dearer then would of originally done. Sent off to the customer with a detailed write up and for the job instantly. She said she was thinking around that sort of figure ( I was about £90 short ) of her figure in mind. And I'd allowed for moving things and carrying the ladder etc. All things I'd never of thought to take into consideration!

Yes Tom that was like the first job I mentioned earlier. I think she was hoping for me to ask why and say I can drop the price. I never do like you say. I feel I'm reasonable with pricing and always honest with what the job will intake so I won't drop it and then feel I have to cut the corners to make a decent wage!

For this message the author Nicharrison24 has received thanks - 2: ian gibson, Tom d'Angler
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:35 pm 

Well I'm a Handyman not a decorator (but I do some decorating). Stuff Tom'd has failed to mention. Get testimonials from your weekend jobs/customers (I know Tom'd does) but then he's as bold as brass...

I also found that postcard sized cards through the door got more response than business cards. Mine were from vista print...

Also don't bother putting cards leaflets through in run down areas... you might think that they are the people who need your services most... they are also the people that are least likely to employ a tradesman. Look for the well maintained properties/streets.

That is where the customers will pay for a decent tradesman.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Tom d'Angler
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:42 pm 

Thanks for reminding me wine~o. Yes, I forgot about testimonials... I have, from day one, sent a thank you card and asked the customer if they would be happy to write a brief testimonial for me. I invite them to sign the testimonial in the way they would like it to appear on my website, i.e. their full name or just their initials. Around 8 out of every 10 new customers send me one. (I don;t ask repeat customers to do another one, although quite a few have done one voluntarily, but they do get a thank you card, hand-written, not from Moonpig).When I go to do a quote for a new contact I often hear "I was impressed with all the testimonials on your website..."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 7:40 pm 
Newly registered Member

I've had lots from rundown areas ask me to quote when I first started up. Then when you tell them a price you see it in their eyes they cant afford it. Part of me feels sorry for them but they want like a bedroom staircase and lounge painted with papering and expect to pay a couple of hundred quid. The testimonials are a good shout. And I will definitely take on the thankyou card for future reference that's a nice touch.

For this message the author Nicharrison24 has received gratitude : Tom d'Angler
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:08 pm 
Newly registered Member

Something you could try, a mate of mine does this when work goes a bit quiet, he gets a load of flyers printed up and gives the local postman £20 to put them through the doors when he's doing his rounds, he says it saves him trudging around the streets, the lazy git :lol:

For this message the author ian gibson has received gratitude : fitzy
PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

That's a great idea. Don't know if I'd have the cheek to ask them though. But if I did would they not pocket the £20 and bin the flyers in next fires ashbin haha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:27 pm 
Newly registered Member

Always a chance they could do that I suppose, my mate says the local postman is a sound bloke though and the work enquiries he's had confirms the flyers were put through the doors.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:50 pm 
Newly registered Member

Fair shout. Genius idea :)