DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:40 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:22 pm 
Newly registered Member

We moved into a "redeveloped" house with a newly installed conservatory, standard low wall, upcv double glazed walls.

Pretty much everything the developers touched has been bodged.
The conservatory it's self looks to be fine however there is an issue with the floor.

The threshold for the door to the Garden is higher than the threshold to the door into the house.

At the house end the conservatory floor is 60mm above the house floor with a lip to the old door frame to step over.
If the conservatory floor were level this would make it nearer 140mm above the house floor. As it is the floor was was laid with a slope from the garden end down to the house end to allow the interconnected door to open. It's got more contours then a golf green.

I would like to get the floor level to start, ideally to the same level as the house.
I mentioned it in passing to my plumber when he was servicing the boiler, and he said that the floor needs to be above the dpc on the conservatory.
Looking at the outside the dpc in the wall is level with the bottom of the external door sill.

If I dig up the floor does it have to be above the dpc in the external wall?

Any suggested solutions beyond starting from scratch?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:13 pm 

Agent Orange wrote:
We moved into a "redeveloped" house with a newly installed conservatory, standard low wall, upcv double glazed walls.

Pretty much everything the developers touched has been bodged.
The conservatory it's self looks to be fine however there is an issue with the floor.

The threshold for the door to the Garden is higher than the threshold to the door into the house.

At the house end the conservatory floor is 60mm above the house floor with a lip to the old door frame to step over.
If the conservatory floor were level this would make it nearer 140mm above the house floor. As it is the floor was was laid with a slope from the garden end down to the house end to allow the interconnected door to open. It's got more contours then a golf green.

I would like to get the floor level to start, ideally to the same level as the house.
I mentioned it in passing to my plumber when he was servicing the boiler, and he said that the floor needs to be above the dpc on the conservatory.
Looking at the outside the dpc in the wall is level with the bottom of the external door sill.

If I dig up the floor does it have to be above the dpc in the external wall?

Any suggested solutions beyond starting from scratch?

Do you mean the floor has an 80mm fall from door to door?

The floor doesnt have to be above the dpc in the external wall. However solving your problem depends on the construction make up.

You need to know distance down to ground level from dpc, position of internal dpc and dpm, how far cavity extends down below floor, thickness of floor screed and insulation.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:46 am 
Newly registered Member

Yes pretty much 80 mm fall across 3.5m length
Also dished from side to side at the house end to accommodate the house door opening. This was a single upvc door and has now been removed and the plan is to remove the two windows from either side to create a wider opening and install double doors from the house.
Ill have to get back to you about the rest

Thanks for the reply

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:41 am 
Newly registered Member

So external dpc is140mm above ground level at the lowest point.

Internally.
The is a layer of fine smooth concrete ranging from 25-55mm depending on where on the slope you measure. Under this is 70mm of screed. Coarse make up. Under that in the corner area Id investigated is older concrete which I think is the previous patio. There is blue plastic running down the side of atleast the two top layers.
I've not been able to find the internal dpc as it would mean taking off skirting which I didn't want to do just yet.

I'm going to have a look at another area this week to see if there is anything else at the Garden end where the Base should be deeper. But at the moment it looks like there is no insulation.