DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:28 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:33 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

Hi all,

I need to move the BT master socket so I want to take the opportunity to replace the incoming cable (from the BT Junction Box to Master Socket) with an external Phone cable. The cable was connect to the BT connector box with a poor internal cable which is pretty corroded away now.

As you can see from the photo mine is the one shown by the blue arrow. Are the orange and white cables of these 4/5 pair cables just connected to the 2 screw in terminals ? Is it a matter of replacing 2 wires of my old cable with the orange and white if the new external cable and connect the orange to the A and white to B of the master socket?

A DIY Job?

Attachments:
PhotoGrid_1518037848054.jpg
PhotoGrid_1518037848054.jpg [ 1.01 MiB | Viewed 325 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:54 pm 

Yes, and yes.

But do indoors first, then outside.

Usually its blue and white cable, but it matters not.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

Last edited by someone-else on Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:55 pm 
Approved Electrician

I would say it's an easy DIY job.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:44 pm 

:withstupid:

But still do inside first.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:31 am 
Mr. Grumpy

Thank you chaps.
I couldn't quite see what was going on with all those crimped connections in the middle. If they were part of the phone lines coming out of the box or part of the junction box

As a matter of interest, how do these junction boxes work? Can you connect to any pair of terminals?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:20 pm 

As you rightly said they are junction boxes, they join cables form over here to over there. So you should only join to the pair you need.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:48 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

someone-else wrote:
As you rightly said they are junction boxes, they join cables form over here to over there. So you should only join to the pair you need.

I see thanks chaps, I think someone must have done a DIY install as the cable wouldn't be installed by BT I'd imagine :dunno:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:38 pm 

Although it's technically easy to do it, and it will probably be fine, that looks like a BT/Openreach DP(Distribution Point) so you shouldn't really be touching it.

That said if you want do do it, there are a few points to note.

That's a BT(Block Terminal)41a 20 pair block terminal. It was primarily intended for connecting overhead dropwires( the wire from the pole to the house), which at the time it was introduced were much thicker than today. There are till great numbers of these in the network.
The screws are made of brass and do not need to be over tight( you don't want them snapping off) as the business ends are pointed, and if over tightened can actually break or cut a thin wire. For this reason when using thin wires, I strip off about 3/4 of an inch of insulation, and fold back about 1/2 an inch back on itself(back alongside the insulation) and terminate that with the finger and thumb only on the screwdriver.
Give it a spray with WD 40 when you have finished.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 2:00 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

Timllfixit wrote:
Although it's technically easy to do it, and it will probably be fine, that looks like a BT/Openreach DP(Distribution Point) so you shouldn't really be touching it.

That said if you want do do it, there are a few points to note.

That's a BT(Block Terminal)41a 20 pair block terminal. It was primarily intended for connecting overhead dropwires( the wire from the pole to the house), which at the time it was introduced were much thicker than today. There are till great numbers of these in the network.
The screws are made of brass and do not need to be over tight( you don't want them snapping off) as the business ends are pointed, and if over tightened can actually break or cut a thin wire. For this reason when using thin wires, I strip off about 3/4 of an inch of insulation, and fold back about 1/2 an inch back on itself(back alongside the insulation) and terminate that with the finger and thumb only on the screwdriver.
Give it a spray with WD 40 when you have finished.

Thanks Tim, actually i rang sky and told them about it and they said they would send someone out. I thought that was strange as its between the master socket and the external junction box. i mentioned this to the guy that I wanted this noted in his computer notes as I don't want to be faced with a charge if he turns up and says its a BT Openreach issue and leaves. Given it affects other people's houses I would rather they do it so if they damage another cable its their problem.

I also rang a few guys and they want 150 quid to put in a new cable despite me telling them its about a 10m unrestricted run at the most and they have to need to drill holes, lift boards etc. They would be done in 30mins Can do it on the way home cash in hand job. Some trades charge a way too much

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:13 pm 

Hi Johnny.

Quote:
Thanks Tim, actually i rang sky and told them about it and they said they would send someone out

That would likely be an Openreach engineer, as we are effectively contractors for the telephone service providers. I explain it to customers that OR is like Railtrack. We own and maintain the network for other companies to run their traffic on it. Besides which we don't want every Tom, d*ck or Harry mucking about in our network.

The usual rule of thumb is if your existing network cable were to develop a fault (outside your boundary) then Openreach SHOULD fix it with no charge(to you). I can only say should because I have been caught out a couple of times assuring customers there would not be a charge, only to have them receive a bill from the SP. Both times though the SP did back down.

As is, you are requesting a shift or planned works, without a fault( that's treated as an install) then OR would charge the Service provider, who would then in all likelihood re-coup it from you.