DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:09 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:11 pm 
Newly registered Member

We recently had some work done on our garage to stop it taking on water. We had a new roof to replace the cracked one and a new concrete slab on the floor to raise it higher than the surrounding part of the garden.

We were told this would stop water coming in.

The last few days have been wet and I have noticed wet to the touch patches around the edges of the garage and along the lip where the door is. I've spoken to the builder that laid the concrete and he said he had never heard of this before. He suggested I painted the floor if I didn't like the colour.

Is it something I need to worry about or is this just what concrete does? I'm worried when it rains constantly for days in the winter the floor is just going to absorb all the water and we will be left with a pool.

This is the second time now I feel like we have been ripped off and I'm losing faith in even the good builder we have who does other stuff to the house.

I'm paying for things to be fixed and it just seems to cause further problems.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:30 am 

Did the builder do anything to create a damp barrier to isolate the new slab from the walls and original slab?

Garages often dont have damp barriers lika a house. The walls of a garage are usually single skin so if the bricks are porous the inside can become damp in wet weather and could transfer to the new slab.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:19 am 
Newly registered Member

They just laid a concrete slab. They removed the old concrete that was at the base of each of the concrete panels of the garage and then just laid the concrete down to raise the floor. The water is coming in under the concrete panels. The person who laid the concrete said my garden would have to flood 40mm for water to come in again. But this just appears to be soaking up the water.

He told me it wouldn't damage the concrete and it would be fine. Is that right?

He compared it to the concrete outside and said "that gets wet and it's still there"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:32 am 

So its a prefabricated concrete garage?

My guess is the rain is running down the walls and getting in at the bottom of the panels.

You could probably seal the join externally to stop or at least reduce it happening. If the new concrete reaches the outside, it would be best to seal the edge to stop water soaking in. A roof seal product, or liquid dpm would help.

Concrete does absorb moisture, so damp will spread in from the edge. Its unlikely to be enough to puddle.

Garages arent really designed to be damp free spaces.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:43 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the advice. There is a small gap at the bottom on the outside where dirt has built up. If I remove that and then use something tobsealbit that would help?

He mentioned painting the floor with some ronseal diamond. Would that keep the damp patches hidden?

I don't expect it to be damp free I just want the concrete to last. Cost £450. And the roof was £900. I just don't want it to be wasted money.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:51 am 

chris9486 wrote:
Thanks for the advice. There is a small gap at the bottom on the outside where dirt has built up. If I remove that and then use something tobsealbit that would help?

He mentioned painting the floor with some ronseal diamond. Would that keep the damp patches hidden?

I don't expect it to be damp free I just want the concrete to last. Cost £450. And the roof was £900. I just don't want it to be wasted money.

The damp wont affect the concrete at all, the strength or lifespan of concrete is not affected by any damp ingress, so I certainly wouldnt worry about it in that respect. I know it can be a bit unnerving because it changes colour quite a bit when it gets damp.

The builder hasnt done anything wrong although perhaps he should have explained that the concrete could get damp around the edges.

I would try and seal the outside first before any floor treatment. You might be best to allow the concrete to cure for a while before treating it as any sealant will slow the drying process if its only just been done