DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:26 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:04 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi.

I've done many bits of DIY over the years but never anything on this scale so I'm looking for experienced board members to highlight any possible pit-falls in my plans.

The master bathroom I've inherited with my house is best described as tired. It's a good size space (about 4m x 4m) with a complete avocado suite consisting of toilet, bidet, twin sinks on vanity units and a huge corner bath with matching ceiling moulding that contains the shower curtain rail. All walls are tiled floor to ceiling with a very dated green patterned ceramic tile, and the floor has lino over uneven wooden floorboards.

What I'd like (and many of you will recommend) is that I strip the room bare, pull off the old tiles, prepare the walls and start from scratch. Unfortunately my budget doesn't extend to re-plastering the room so I'm considering replacing all of the fittings and then covering up the existing tiles in various ways.

One of the main features I'm adding to the room is a stud wall that will enclose a walk in shower area on one side and provide a mounting surface for the new floating vanity units with basins on the other.

Where the original vanity units were will be a bath and the bidet and toilet will go to be replaced by a new toilet.

The shower enclosure will be clad in PVC sheets with a 1700x900 tray. The remaining walls will be tiled or wood clad over and the floor is TBC.

I'm adding a Surrey flange and pump to the water cylinder for a power shower and everything will have new taps and pipes where required.

It'll all be finished off with down-lights in the shower, over the bath and over the basins, and ambient floor lighting under the floating vanity units.

What are your thoughts/suggestions?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:10 pm 

:welcomeuhm:

Lighting in wet areas needs to be selv and Ip protected. Plan of room as is and what you propose may help.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:04 pm 

If the budget looks tight and you know it does not extend to plastering may I suggest you slow down and price things properly. You can buy cheap things and you can buy expensive things and that is before you buy "designer" things. Lots of stuff that comes from China, cheap but with quality to match.

You are obviously concerned about the looks (willing to spend money on lighting or a suspended bog) but other things look too expensive :-) When you go to showrooms and everything looks sparkling have a look at the lighting they use (when I was looking it was all powerful halogen lamps no economy dim lights).

On more practical matters I suggest you do not bother with a partition wall for the shower but use a simple glass partition, no doors, no moving parts nothing to go wrong. And then look at Merlyn Showers (Irish company) and figure out why they are so expensive compared to others made in China (thickness of glass is one thing). Other than that you will know what problems you got with the walls when you start removing tiles.

As far as costs go, heh, when I was doing mine every time something was not right I upped what I was buying. Pretty happy with the end result but it did not cost anything like I planned (not an issue though, I was working and I could afford it) ... I still have to get a radiator/towel rail for it. Make a list of things, try to view them if you can, add prices to them including any clever tricks needing for fitting them, and see how you get on. And then make sure you do not finish off with some pine planks and reject tiles because you run out of money ::b