DIY Forum

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:25 pm
Drainage online 

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:31 am 
Newly registered Member

I have fitted a small stainless steel back boiler into a Jotul No1 Stove, I fitted two essex flanges to a standard indirect water tank, running a gravity feed to the stainless boiler. It works fine the boiler is less than 2kw so does not seriously affect the heat output of the stove and in the winter when the stove is on constantly I have more hot water than I need
The chimney runs up the center of the house heating most of the rooms even on the upper floors without the need for radiators on but there are two rooms which do not get much heat from the chimney, could I use the excess hot water to heat those two radiators by running the central heating pump. I suppose what I am asking is can the heat exchanger in the tank work the other way round and if the controller is set for h/w and heating will the heat from the hot water in the tank be transferred to the radiators?

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:10 pm 

Put very simply mate; two 1000x600mm single panel radiators are roughly 2KW in total, so not just your excess heat but all your stove heat would be used up by the radiators.

If you're using LPG as a main central heating source, I think I'd consider getting rid of the LPG boiler & fitting a big multi-fuel stove to do all your central heating & hot water & certainly do that if I had a cheap source of fuel for the stove.
I hope that's some help.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html
Gas Safe RGI
Scottish, British & Proud.
I'm not or never claimed to be Chris Williams.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:25 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for that, but I have not been clear enough, I rarely use the lpg boiler, the stove is up to 8 kw and the house is well insulated, at the moment in the coldest winter periods the stove alone heats the whole house and hot water, my problem is not more heat but spreading it, the room with some the rooms at the top of the house can be too warm because of the heat from the chimney, while the two rooms away from it miss out out the heat. If I regularly have a water tank full of very hot water, I am asking can I use the coil in reverse to take the heat to radiators.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:28 am 

The stove will pump out much more heat to the room than to water & your back boiler is on the small side to do much with mate. So in effect any radiators would steal all the heat from the back boiler & the hot water system, as the boiler is too small to maintain any temperatures.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html
Gas Safe RGI
Scottish, British & Proud.
I'm not or never claimed to be Chris Williams.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]