DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:18 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:46 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi guys

I've got a really strange situation so hope I can get some help from people who may have experienced this before.

My house only has cold water supply to ground floor (no bathroom on 1st floor), and there's a gate valve that controls cold water flow between kitchen and bathroom. Beyond this gate valve, cold water first goes to toilet cistern, then bathroom sink tap, then bath tub tap.

Very recently a 'proper plumber' helped to fix an old radiator in bathroom that hadn't been working for several years - there was blocked pipes and he had to unscrew several connections - including the gate valve mentioned above - to eventually diagnose where the blockage was - radiator fixed and I was a happy customer.

No issues for two weeks.

Then, this eve - when I was using cold water in the bathroom, I suddenly heard a 'thud' sound and cold water stopped completely in the bathroom. Hot water works fine in bathroom though. Both hot and cold water works fine in kitchen. And the gate valve mentioned above is fully open.

I thought this may have something to do with airlock - tried the 'forcing hot water into cold water pipe' method in bathroom sink tap - but the water ends up into the toilet cistern...

So should I disconnect the pipe that goes into the toilet cistern and try to connect a hose to it - and see if I can flush out airlock?

Thanks in advance
Namo Amituofo

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:07 am 
Newly registered Member

You could try that although I would get plumber back in to look at

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:10 am 

To me it sounds as if something's blocked the pipe or the gate valve has sheared internally causing it to shut. I'd turn the water off and undo the nut on the bathroom side of the fitting directing it into a bucket before getting someone to turn the water on slightly to see if there's any flow at this point.

You know there's a blockage somewhere you just have to find it!!

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

For this message the author Razor has received thanks - 3: Ktuludays, leodeng, multiman