DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:20 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Cold spots
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:34 am 
Newly registered Member

Since taking on this house I noticed alot of damp spots in the upper rooms so got my friendly builder in to give his advice.
He said you have cold spots.
Now the old council house has a strange roof.
Inside the rooms there are curved edges where the wall meets the ceiling.
So I entered the attic and the previous owner to the last owner back in 2010 had a company come in and insulate the attic but they did not get the insulation beyond the flat part of the attic so where the eves run past the joists where the curved peice is inside the bedrooms there is no insulation and inside the bedroom you can obviously see each of the eves then a cold spot causing damp.
Would you advise me to try and push some of the insulation further down to where these cold spots are ?
Or should I try and contact the company who did the job and try and get them to come back.
I feel I should mention that the attic has loads of insulation up there alot more than is required and the walls are cavity filled.
I have been using a chlorine on the damp spots leaving it on to continue killing off the damp as it comes back.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Cold spots
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:14 pm 

I've done this job twice.

Once I rolled polystyrene balls in between the rafters from in the loft but I wasn't happy about getting full coverage, it was hard to tell, not to mention extremely awkward to do.

The second time I took roof tiles and battens off and rolled the felt back so I could see the plasterboard and put loft roll insulation neatly in.

If I had to do it a third time, I would do it from above again for peace of mind re covergage

http://www.marcuswhitehead.co.uk

http://www.facebook.com/joinerbuilder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:07 pm 
Pro Carpenter

you need to be careful not to block ventilation to the roof void
do you have a picture ??
my initial thoughts are 25-40mm kingspan or similar on the underside in the room angled and covered with plasterboard space permitting :dunno:
much easier than than external or attic working but more time consuming :dunno:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:30 am 
Newly registered Member

My main concern is blocking the space for air to travel.
I managed to kill off the mould and the ceiling looks like new again.
I am going to have to have a further look at this next year but the wife and I found that allowing air to travel through the house helped reduce the damp in the property.
Because of the way the house was rebuilt some years ago any air entering the house upper floor stayed where it came in.
So as we are moving the main stairs so the landing is now in one of the bedrooms that was, air can now travel front to back of the property as that wall for the bedroom was removed being a stud wall.
Next year I will consider removing the lower tiles to gain access.
Also as the house had two showers and the extractor fans were not up to the job as their exit vents were blocked, I think this did'nt help the damp.
I have removed both showers and extractor fans to be replaced with a fan more up to the job and a newer shower in the main bathroom.