DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:00 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Coffee
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:19 pm 

I love a decent coffee - who doesn't?

But I have no experience of the usual suspects when to comes to coffee MACHINES. They come in all shapes, sizes, makes, models and functionality. From the basic 'capsule' type all the way up to restaurant-equivalents all-singing all-dancing.

We've spotted a basic 'Tasimo-type' machine that's going for around £40 with capsules that are priced at £10-ish for 48.

It's not as if I can get to try-before-I-buy so I'm asking for feedback from those that own them.

Any comments, good or bad, along with info on the types of capsule (or beans) that you find are irresistible!

TIA

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Coffee
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:05 am 
Pro Carpenter

dont do it lol
a spoon full off coffee maybe 3-5p
how much is a capsule :dunno:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:31 am 

We have a Bosch Tassimo machine - it's pretty good and there is a large range of tea, coffee and chocolate available for it.

Had it for about 3 years now and paid a fair bit more than what they go for now.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:03 am 

big-all wrote:
how much is a capsule

Just under 21p each

kellys_eye wrote:
capsules that are priced at £10-ish for 48.

I will stick with your idea big-all. I only drink plain black coffee.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:31 am 

kellys_eye wrote:
I love a decent coffee - who doesn't?

My wife: but she's got about 20 different fruity infusions that she drinks, some of them smell just like a compost heap!

What's the advantage with any sort of coffee machine over a simple cafetiere?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:44 am 

The other half got one for Christmas the other year and does use it occasionally . I don't drink coffee but she says it's nice but the downside is that it's very expensive. I have tried the chocolate from it and that's decent but think they are pretty poor for making tea. The other problem we have with the tassimo machines is the shear unnecessary waste ,each drink involves it's own plastic container and there's a residual amount of coffee left in there that's wasted too.
On the subject of coffee and waste. I do a certain amount of work gardening and on one job ended up with a lot of dandelions which would of course go into the garden waste bin. However , I brought home a bucket of the roots which I roasted on the wood burner . Broken up and sieved and I ended up with a coffee , ersatz coffee if you like. Looked and smelt of coffee and when fed to the wife tasted like coffee albeit without the caffeine hit.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:49 am 

Hi,

Good luck k_e.

I never drink coffee preferring de-caf Morrison's tea. Many years ago my hands started to shake and at first I thought this must be down to high stress at work? One day whilst in the car with the radio switched on a doctor was discussing tea drinking; I switched to de-caf tea and the problem disappeared as if by magic.

Bron enjoys peppermint tea putting four tea bags into a cup; I don't know how she stands it being so strong but she loves it; Bron also drinks some coffee but the sachets out of boxes ready mixed.

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:51 am 

My daughter has one of those Tassimo-style machines and it always seems to serve up lukewarm drinks, and I can't find a temperature setting anywhere on it.

Colin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:20 pm 

Interesting range of replies - mostly in the negative though - but I did ask!

We use a simple coffee machine already and have half a dozen packets of coffee grounds part-used in an attempt to get a decent cup! but still can't get anywhere close to even the McDonald's type coffee for flavour, never mind the Costa type.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:27 pm 

My wife can't stand tea so she picked up a Nescafe Dolce Gusto in the sales, it is easy and quick to use, I quite like the Americano and Grande as to me they taste more like normal coffee, she likes Cappuccino and Latte.
Mine cost 25p a cup and hers 50p as they use two pods.

Luckily I prefer tea so my coffee lasts for ages.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:08 pm 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicaprobus/a ... .qjj6Wnpry

You can even make bio diesel :thumbright:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:18 pm 

kellys_eye wrote:

We use a simple coffee machine already and have half a dozen packets of coffee grounds part-used in an attempt to get a decent cup! but still can't get anywhere close to even the McDonald's type coffee for flavour, never mind the Costa type.

I think the biggest and most common mistake is not using enough coffee: this is not helped by the terminology.

I use a three cup cafetiere and put in three level tablespoonfuls of coffee, once I pour it into a mug and add milk I have a half pint mug of coffee, so this is only really three cups if you use those stupid tiny coffee cups.

I have a plastic measuring spoon designed for coffee - it says on the handle it holds 7g - so 21g for a three cup cafetiere, I probably overdo it a bit and use 25g.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:31 pm 
Troll Headbutter

I'm totally hooked on coffee as it's usually the only thing to get me by the day. Our Costa and Starbucks visits (and lots of local places :shock: ) got out of hand, so we got a machine for home.

We tried the various pod ones over the years, but they always fell short for me, for the following reasons:

- They never got the water hot enough
- The coffee was never amazing
- The pod systems get expensive
- They scale up REALLY quickly

We ventured into espresso machine territory and ended up with this and it's treated us well and provides a good range of drinks. I typically make:

- Latte (using the steamed milk feature)
- Flat white
- Espresso
- Americano

We have this model from Argoose, although I'm sure we didn't pay that much - shop around! http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/p ... 466202.htm

For coffee, we have all sorts. The wife likes flavoured ones, like vanilla, I'm a lavazza fan - it's cheap and often in bulk packs in Sainsburies (3 250g packs for a 5'er :thumbright: )

Attachment:
1.jpg
1.jpg [ 269.65 KiB | Viewed 2837 times ]

It's quick to warm up and tank is easy to fill (detaches to get to a sink). Drip tray is removable and built well (with a float indicator) and you get all the scoops and stuff with it.

Attachment:
2.jpg
2.jpg [ 259.23 KiB | Viewed 2837 times ]

This was a scoop of coffee and an espresso. I like the creama on the top of the coffee and it's a nice strength (eye-twitching). You can make it stronger or weaker.

Attachment:
3.jpg
3.jpg [ 168.39 KiB | Viewed 2837 times ]

I've got a bean grinder and stuff, but it's a right ballache and mess to grind for each lot of coffee, although the flavour is much fresher. I just keep my coffee in the saleable jars, never had a problem.

BG

For this message the author BillyGoat has received thanks - 3: Dickie, getthewheelsinline, kellys_eye
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 4:52 pm 

Now that's a bit more like it! Thanks BG :thumbleft:

The machine is a bit more expensive than I'd have expected but if that coffee tastes as good as it looks then roll on the eye-twitching :lol:

AJ - far from using too little coffee, Mrs k_e has the habit of using far too much! She uses one table spoon (heaped!) per cup plus 'one for the pot' :roll: I'd be able to stand the spoon up in the coffee if the metal hadn't corroded away. I end up having to dilute half a cup with additional hot water :lol:

As an aside..... The in-laws had their kitchen rebuilt a couple of years ago and it came with all the appliances including a massive coffee maker - like the double-ended commercial units - which the FinL didn't want so he gave it to Mrs k_e to flog on eBay. It retailed at over £900 at the time :shock: and sold for £600-ish :?

Too big (not to mention expensive) for my tastes but I wouldn't have minded trying it out! Sold completely unused in original packaging.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:11 pm 
Troll Headbutter

kellys_eye wrote:
Now that's a bit more like it! Thanks BG :thumbleft:

The machine is a bit more expensive than I'd have expected but if that coffee tastes as good as it looks then roll on the eye-twitching :lol:

AJ - far from using too little coffee, Mrs k_e has the habit of using far too much! She uses one table spoon (heaped!) per cup plus 'one for the pot' :roll: I'd be able to stand the spoon up in the coffee if the metal hadn't corroded away. I end up having to dilute half a cup with additional hot water :lol:

As an aside..... The in-laws had their kitchen rebuilt a couple of years ago and it came with all the appliances including a massive coffee maker - like the double-ended commercial units - which the FinL didn't want so he gave it to Mrs k_e to flog on eBay. It retailed at over £900 at the time :shock: and sold for £600-ish :?

Too big (not to mention expensive) for my tastes but I wouldn't have minded trying it out! Sold completely unused in original packaging.

This was the one I had before (in black) and it was just as good, but not so much metal with the coffee holder. When it broke (our fault.....), they offered to give us a refund, but we made up the difference to the next model. A bit more fairly priced too: http://www.johnlewis.com/delonghi-ecov3 ... ve%20Green

(two year warratny with JL too).

BG