DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:27 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:56 pm 

Has anyone used it ?

Got a sooty ceiling to do and am thinking of going this route.

There's also the Aqua classic, not sure how different they are.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:57 am 
Elephant Man

Puma was a great advocate of Classidur but is seldom on here. You could inbox him. I've not used it (and at that price I suspect I'll continue not using it) but I suspect that it'll be an effective problem solving primer.

That said, I trust BIN above all others for blocking soot. I don't doubt the Classidur will stop the staining, but will it eliminate the odour too? It's an expensive paint to find that it only may only solve one aspect of soot damage.

For this message the author dynamod has received gratitude : Desmondo15
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:44 pm 

Yes, good thinking Dynamod.

It's actually a big kitchen which has a Arga thing which has discoloured the ceiling yellow. There's no smell. I love BIN but I don't fancy painting the whole thing in that.
The cost per litre isn't that far off BIN either, it's just a 10 litre commitment.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:41 am 
Elephant Man

I wonder if washing the soot off and blocking with a WB product like Dulux Trade Stainblock+ would work OK. DT can take 2 coats on really aggressive staining, but works very well I've found, and is practically odorless in use. One of the few really good Dulux Trade products these. days.

For this message the author dynamod has received gratitude : Desmondo15
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:44 am 
Newly registered Member

I am going to try it this week, ****** do 5l as well! and if you include a 2 pound paint scuttle, delivery is free. So then it is roughly 70 plus vat.

They also have the old Classidur before the update, what is now Blackfriars problem solving primer I believe, on sale. I wish I knew what the differences are between the old and new formula, whether the new one is always better or whether the old one is better for some purposes still.

Edit, did not know I am not able to post names, but a quick google should help. There is a guy with a blog who paints traditional kitchens, he has a post on Classidur Xtrem which is very useful and he explains who imports it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 10:13 am 

muze77 wrote:
I am going to try it this week, ****** do 5l as well! and if you include a 2 pound paint scuttle, delivery is free. So then it is roughly 70 plus vat.

They also have the old Classidur before the update, what is now Blackfriars problem solving primer I believe, on sale. I wish I knew what the differences are between the old and new formula, whether the new one is always better or whether the old one is better for some purposes still.

Edit, did not know I am not able to post names, but a quick google should help. There is a guy with a blog who paints traditional kitchens, he has a post on Classidur Xtrem which is very useful and he explains who imports it.

Very useful, thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:32 pm 

i've used the classic Classidur in a few fire damaged properties..we didn't even have to wash the soot of the walls & ceilings.Just two coats & it covered completly with no smell of the fire..Although it's expencive i'd highly recommend it.

For this message the author dubman2 has received gratitude : Desmondo15
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:39 pm 

dubman2 wrote:
i've used the classic Classidur in a few fire damaged properties..we didn't even have to wash the soot of the walls & ceilings.Just two coats & it covered completly with no smell of the fire..Although it's expencive i'd highly recommend it.

Yes in fact they say not to wash just dust down.
I haven't used the new one but the original was magic on nicotine stained properties.

For this message the author toolbox has received gratitude : Desmondo15
PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:11 pm 

Ideal, that's what I wanted to hear.

My back will be eternally grateful :thumbright:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:08 pm 
Newly registered Member

Quote:
I haven't used the new one but the original was magic on nicotine stained properties.

thats great to hear, I might buy some of the old one for my friend who has painted a nicotine stained wall three times already! By the way, you can get 10l of this for £121.20 inc vat! The new is is 156. Too big for me though.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:24 pm 

Where too?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:03 pm 
Newly registered Member

Desmondo15 wrote:
Where too?

If you just type Classidur in google, nothing else, the first link will explain how to use it (the blog I was referring too earlier, which is great and very useful. The second link is where I got it from. I got a better price than they list by calling by the way...

I used it yesterday for the first time, very stick, very good grip and thick, coverage a bit less than expected. I have a problem though, my wall is full of black pin pricks, which on inspection are small air holes sitting on part that has been pulled back to give texture by the roller. I just a 3/8 emulsion roller, will go over it with a gloss roller to see if it improves.

Is that normal, that for thick sticky primers, you should use a different roller than for a normal emulsion?

Edit: I forgot to say I rang Claessens in Switzerland with a technical question but the man only spoke French and we got stuck in translation on the technical points. So then I rang the UK importer and they have been very helpful.

They said:
The Classidur Xtrem is also exterior rather than the old version/Blackfriars PS primer, because Claessens are moving towards exterior. They are also adding epoxy, I think in Europe there is now a Classidur Xtrem Epoxy version. So the balance is shifting, Xtrem is still good for interior as well, but I am going to try the old one now to see if I should stock up before it is gone! The old one is particularly great for interior woodwork I am told (as well as nicotine as per this thread!).

For this message the author muze77 has received gratitude : Desmondo15
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:10 pm 

Maybe you need a longer pile roller for that texture.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:39 pm 

Is it too thick to roll out on a ceiling? As ideally I don't want to be thinning it down.

They say it dries dead flat...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:36 pm 

Fine on ceilings but if there is areas that are proud like muze77 has a longer roller may help.
I have an idea the dead flat may refer to the finish dead flat matt.