DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:51 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Churlish
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:04 pm 

Mrs D was having a browse in Matalan, as is her want, yesterday and I was bored so I went to get some tea bags in Home Bargains or something like that. I like PG Tips but Tesco have 240 for £5 plus which I refuse to pay. I know that these budget chains sell them for £3.50 so being the thrifty (tight wad you may say) I always buy a pack when the opportunity arises. Anyway I have a look around and find the tea bags and make my way to the till.

It is busy and there is a woman in front of me with a load of stuff on the conveyor belt so I ask her 'Excuse me, would you mind if I went in front of you I have one item and the right change so I will only be a moment' She replies 'Well no, I have had to wait a long time' There is a couple behind me and I look at the bloke and roll my eyes and he laughs a bit too openly. Mrs Churlish now feels awkward and says in a bored tone 'ohh go on then'. I reply 'No, you are quite right, I should wait and I would not want to go against your first decision as it is clearly important to you' The bloke behind laughs again, a bit too loudly. This has now got incredibly embarrassing for Mrs Churlish and I stand patiently waiting for her items to go through.

When I get to the till the assistant says in her methodical scripted way 'Thank you for waiting' and Mrs Churlish turns and shoots her a dirty look. The bloke behind laughs again clearly enjoying this little event and his wife elbows him in the ribs.

I must admit I was quite surprised by it all as I would always offer someone behind me a bye if they had one item. Was I wrong to ask?????

DWD

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Churlish
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:12 pm 

The Great British Queue.
I hate 'em. :angryfire:
Nothing wrong with asking politely if you can go first IMO.
I let people with one or two items go first anyway if I've got more stuff.

For this message the author Dave54 has received thanks - 2: dewaltdisney, james232
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:25 pm 

I wouldn't have asked myself, but i would have offered.

But i would have stood there rolling my eyes and huffing to show my annoyance :lol:

For this message the author Hitch has received thanks - 2: Dave54, dewaltdisney
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:33 pm 

I always let those kind through - have done so for three or four in one go once!

On another similar 'churlish' theme I was in WHSmith the other day and bought an armful of magazines, papers and a ream of paper for the printer. Approaching the desk to pay I see a sign saying 'use the self service till or press the bell for assistance' - meanwhile the shop 'manager' is stood there waiting to see what I do.

He then prompts me by pressing the 'start' button on the self service till whilst I'm considering dumping the lot and walking out. Another customer behind me pre-empts me by announcing 'what's the point of this then? What are 'you' (the manager) here for if not to work the till?' I'm all 'precisely.... it's a disgrace etc etc'..... :lol:

What then ratcheted my ire was the 'till' then prompted my with an ADVERT to purchase something else - cheeky :cussing: :angryfire: ........ ::b

Grrrrrrrrrrrr........

Manager takes umbrage and mutters 'it's company policy, nothing to do with me' and scarpers.......

Whilst I agree with the manager on that point I was compelled to complete the transaction as they were magazines Jo wanted and she would have been disappointed not to get - otherwise I'd have done what I wanted to do and just walked away.

Time for a ranting letter to WHSmith head office :lol:

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : dewaltdisney
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:46 pm 

I noticed they have those self service tills in Poundland now. What are they thinking :lol: I am sure that half the stuff will go into the bag without payment. The Toblerone left behind will balance the weight out of the nicked goods on the bag tray.

We too have had that auto till experience in Smith's which are a bloody nuisance, it is often quicker to queue and pay. The airside airport Smith's are a pain as the bloody auto till asks you to scan your boarding pass. I have to call the bloke over and say I have not got it to purchase my newspaper.

The first time I encountered an auto till was in a Spanish supermarket in Palma. It was great as you could select English and it worked a treat. That was back in 2000'ish as well.

DWD

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 12:49 pm 

Ahh the old 'we need to see your boarding pass' scam eh? Recently revealed as a scam to bypass some tax payment (duty? IIRC).

You don't need to show it to anyone other than the boarding gate. Refuse to do so and deny the shops their 'cut'.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:11 pm 

Ahh , queuing , A peculiarly British trait I reckon. Something most of us take for granted,,.. Some years ago my younger brother was in Spain on holiday and was queuing in a shop waiting to be served, when a German chap grabs something off the shelves and barges his way to the front of the queue. Just about to get served, my brother shouts up "Hoi Fritz, get to the back of the queue.. We didn't win the war so you could go first." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 1:36 pm 

Couple of years back we were in a supermarket. Trolley full, and we looked for the till with the shortest queue. There was one there with someone actually getting served with stuff still on the conveyor, and another single item, so we went there and started putting the stuff on the conveyor. A woman then turns up with a pile of stuff, and starts putting stuff into the space with one item in front of us. She was a member of staff. So I said something like. "That's not on" and she got really shirty. Said her manager would back her up etc. and she was "within her rights" We exchanged a few more "words" about it, but we basically let it go. Life's too short for a "no win" argument with somebody who is "entitled".
Now nobody minds somebody who has forgotten something nipping off to get an item, but using a non-human placeholder seems like extracting the proverbial to me?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:09 am 

"It is busy and there is a woman in front of me with a load of stuff on the conveyor belt so I ask her 'Excuse me, would you mind if I went in front of you I have one item and the right change so I will only be a moment' She replies 'Well no, I have had to wait a long time' There is a couple behind me and I look at the bloke and roll my eyes and he laughs a bit too openly. Mrs Churlish now feels awkward and says in a bored tone 'ohh go on then'. I reply 'No, you are quite right, I should wait and I would not want to go against your first decision as it is clearly important to you' The bloke behind laughs again, a bit too loudly. This has now got incredibly embarrassing for Mrs Churlish and I stand patiently waiting for her items to go through.

When I get to the till the assistant says in her methodical scripted way 'Thank you for waiting' and Mrs Churlish turns and shoots her a dirty look. The bloke behind laughs again clearly enjoying this little event and his wife elbows him in the ribs.

I must admit I was quite surprised by it all as I would always offer someone behind me a bye if they had one item. Was I wrong to ask?????
"

No, but she didn't HAVE to let you go in front of her. It is purely voluntary.
You may do it for other people, great, and that makes you feel good( or in my case smug sometimes) but you don't have to. Of course it would be nice if we all did things like that for each other, but it's not a perfect world.
It's not wrong to ask, but I think it's wrong to EXPECT people to do it for you. I mean WE know who you are, but you can't expect that of everyone !

" I reply 'No, you are quite right, I should wait and I would not want to go against your first decision as it is clearly important to you' The bloke behind laughs again, a bit too loudly. This has now got incredibly embarrassing for Mrs Churlish and I stand patiently waiting for her items to go through."

I have ADHD and if you had said that to me( although I would have been likely to have let you go in front of me...) I would simply wonder why you had asked to go in front of me in the first place, and may possibly ask.
I wouldn't understand, but would puzzle about it all day and have to ask someone to explain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:47 am 

Strangely here in Mallorca I was in the local Eroski supermercado yesterday and it was really busy at the tills. There was a young Spanish guy in front with a basket load of stuff so I am standing there with my bottle of water expecting a wait. He turns to me an beckons me through in front. What a gent, I give him the muchos gracias and I am done in seconds. But then the guy also lets a kraut women through as well who only has some bread. The ignorant cow does not even thank him. Bloody typical.

DWD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:21 am 

the funniest 'offer of help' Ive had was in a car park.

Id just parked and was walking over to the ticket machine, when a lady called out to me: 'Ive got a ticket with quite a bit of time left on it', so I gratefully accepted, at which point she said 'that'll be 50p!' -I was so shocked I just paid her :-)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:45 am 

On the reverse side of such happenings - back in the late 70's I was in Cape Town (recently disembarked an oil tanker and headed home) when I held a supermarket door open for a non-reflective lady - much to the frowns of the white audience and a snooty nose-lift from Mrs Shadow.

Don't know who was most offended.... me, the audience or her!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:05 pm 

Notch1 wrote:
the funniest 'offer of help' Ive had was in a car park.

Id just parked and was walking over to the ticket machine, when a lady called out to me: 'Ive got a ticket with quite a bit of time left on it', so I gratefully accepted, at which point she said 'that'll be 50p!' -I was so shocked I just paid her :-)

Those tickets are not usually transferable, if a parking attendant see you do it you may have got a ticket.
That would have added insult to injury. :lol:

Time zone: Europe/London