DIY Forum

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:42 pm
Drainage online 

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Changing a toilet Syphon
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all. I'm going to attempt to change my toilet syphon as reading the guide it seems as though this is the problem.

I have a low level toilet and just want to be extra sure I'm doing the right thing, as it seems the other threads I have read on this are all close coupled ones.

I'm going to buy a universal one from B&Q. I won't need to cut it or anything will I? Or change anything else but the syphon? Low level toilets don't have donuts do they?

Sorry for all the silly questions, but I really want to get this right.

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:42 pm 
Site Admin

Replacing a tolet syphon is not too difficult,

I have done these a few times, but never took any pictures. I will take pictures next time!

It is much easier with a low level suite and you do not need a doughnut washer, just get a universal syphon like you say.

Then-

Isolate the water to the cistern.

Empty the cistern using a cup, throw the water down the toilet pan. When you get to the bottom of the cistern use a sponge and wring it out in the toilet pan, this will ensire the cistern is almost dry.

Undo the lower of the two large nuts beneath the cistern using a large pipe wrench or pair of water pump pliers, now disconnect the flush pipe and push it to one side.

take note of any washers that are removed as new ones need fitting when replacing the siphon.

Unhook the lift rod from the flushing lever and remove the syphon. Refitting is a complete reversal of removal, be sure to fit any washers (preferably new ones) that you have taken out. Ensure everything is tight but do not over tighten before refilling the cistern.

Make sure the cistern is dry by wiping it before you install the new syphon as it will seal much better.

Since answering this post originally I have made a video to help-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:28 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you so much! It sounds easy I think I'll unhook the syphon first to see how many washers I need before I go to B&Q.

I just spoke to my uncle and he said I should check there is enough water going into the cistern first. When I checked it wasn't to the top. He said I should be able to re hook something to let more water in, but I can't see it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:06 pm 
Site Admin

guapa1 wrote:
Thank you so much! It sounds easy I think I'll unhook the syphon first to see how many washers I need before I go to B&Q.

I just spoke to my uncle and he said I should check there is enough water going into the cistern first. When I checked it wasn't to the top. He said I should be able to re hook something to let more water in, but I can't see it!

The washers normally come with the syphon.

If the syphon diaphgram is damaged the toilet will not flush at all or it will be very weak. If it flushes ok but does not remove everything then it could be the water level.

There is a valve on the side of the cistern, which you can adjust to increase or decrease the amount of water in the cistern. The water level should be lower than the overflow pipe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:13 pm 
Site Admin

I have attached a picture that may help,

I have shown where you adjust the water level on this particular type of water inlet valve.

You undo the nuts and this enables adjustment of the water level

Attachments:
cistern.jpg
cistern.jpg [ 40.25 KiB | Viewed 31252 times ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]