DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:41 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:38 pm 

Father-in-law has an old boiler heating domestic hot water and running central heating, realised there was something wrong so went with his son to have a look, we found:-
The supply to solar panels switched off, that explains why no hot water without central heating running.
Then found turning the boiler temperature control knob the central heating fired up even when switched off.
We also found when you switch on central heating water comes on as well.
We noted two motorised valves and suspect the micro switches have stuck on in one of the valves. Also suspect when solar panels fitted the system was changed from thermo syphon to pumped. I could repair myself however it is a case of finding time, so thought was get a British Gas contract and let them repair and maintain the system. Boiler is about 27 years old, but reliable.

My wife thinks British Gas will condemn the system and insist a new boiler is fitted, and thinks we should stay clear of them.

I could easy change the motorised valve heads, but swapping whole valve I would find hard with my mauled hand, wiring easy plumbing is some thing else, I have not bothered finding out which valve is faulty, I would guess running S plan. I expect to find valves are obsolete so would have to swap whole valve, and not sure if imperial or metric house built 1979 and central heating fitted soon after, it was not fitted by builder.

I have one day a week off 10 am to 3:30 pm when my mother goes into day care and don't really want to use that time to fix his central heating. I will guess there is a switch inside programmer which also needs turning to get central heating only that should be easy enough.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:40 am 

As you're ok with the sparky stuff you only need to pull the two oranges out in the wiring centre and the permanently live one is the culprit. It probably only needs a head swap.

But if there isn't a bump on the top of the valve casing it means it's old enough that undoing the screws holding the head on will result in a flood then it's complete new valve time. But at least you'll know what the problem is when you get someone in!

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

For this message the author Razor has received gratitude : ericmark
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:20 pm 

Read the maintenance contract British Gas offer and can't see that they will correct the problem, it states they will not correct installation errors, and although the programmer likely only needs removing a switch moving over and replacing, but it is still a design error.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:46 pm 

Guess its a bit late now, but as you found BG will fix anything, BUT they will charge you to fix the error BEFORE they will sign you up and they are not cheap.

That said, I quite like them. But we have a reason for that.

Folk will say get a local company in, we did, several of them and to be honest they didn't have a clue what they were doing, so we opted to have BG.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:51 pm 

Well on hold, system Baxi W.M. 532 RS boiler with a pump feeding two Salus 2 port motorised valves model MV222 (with white wire not connected) in built in garage and a Siemens RWB2 programmer in kitchen, with tank and room thermostats latter on entrance between dining and living room. I will assume using the S plan, the wiring centre is a socket back box and blanking plate with chock blocks loose inside in garage, right Heath Robinson lash up,

So today went to find out exactly what was fitted and armed with an S plan diagram I corrected the Siemens RWB2 which was set to 10 program thermo-syphon to 16 program pumped, then removed the orange wire from the domestic hot water motorised valve which was the faulty one, so boiler does not run all the time, and also found the room thermostat was well out it needed setting at about 10°C for room to be at around 22°C.

So thermostat needs changing I think a Flomasta 22199SX Wired Digital Programmable Thermostat seems a good option as it seems there is no frost stat so better if there is no off option.

As far as hot water goes there is also solar panels so the boiler in theory is only needed in the winter, and each time central heating run it should also heat hot water if required. However the micro switch does need replacing in the motorised valve at some point although no hurry, so the question is now down to how it is replaced, it would seem there are three options.

1) Open the valve head and either free the micro switch or fit a new one, don't like this idea.
2) Replace the whole valve, with my mauled hand that would mean getting some one in to do it.
3) Replace the head, which is the easiest method if I can do that.

However the head shown below looks very different to the new heads and not sure if these old heads come off? and if they do come off, will the new head fit instead of it? I note whole valves start at just over £26 and some of the replacement heads seem more expensive than whole valve so I suppose if I can find a supplier of the Salus 2 port motorised valves model MV222 then I could try to swap heads and if that fails get some on in to swap valve, but if swapping valve does not need to be same make, I can get any 22 mm valve from Screwfix. Any ideas welcome.